1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Master Yoda's Simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by MasterYoda, Mar 14, 2011.

1. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Well, although this is not a full DIY build.
    It still has a lot of work and time put into it after converting to x-Sim (from Frex).
    There is not a single bolt at the same position Frex designed (thanks God! 8) ).

As most of you may have noticed, I assemble and disassemble my rig constantly.
    That is mainly due to lack of space. So, sometimes I just had to remove the actuators and stay with a fixed seat that would take less room.

However, I was recently reviewing some projects here in the forum, always looking for ideas on a more compact design.
    That is when I came across Jolili's sim and realized that the principles he used to connect the SCN5s to his platform :clap: could be useful for me to make a moving seat in a compact design/version. :brows:

So, I am still waiting for some 80/20 stuff I ordered to arrive. That is why I didn't take any close up pictures of the hinges/actuators (I am temporarily using a cheapo 5$ door ringe)... But, that was enough to fire proof the design.

I am very happy with the results.
    I have now a much smaller rig (150cm x 60cm, I am 1,85m and need lots of leg room), wheeled (easy transportation) and with very good motion for my taste.

So, here are few pictures I took today.
    IMG_9937_1.jpg IMG_9932.jpg IMG_9952.jpg IMG_9948.jpg IMG_9939.jpg

As soon as proper 80/20 hinges arrive I will take more pics and make a video of the rig in action! 8)

Cheers,

MY
  2. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Looks great!

Man...you changed your rig lot of times... i still remember your first video when you just had the simconmotion :lol:
    Good job on changing the position of the actuators, i loved the idea too from Jolili's rig :thbup:
    I am not going that way, since i have a dedicated sim room for my rig. But some 150mm SCN5's are on my wish list.

BTW good idea to post your rig, i will be posting mine too when i have my gauges working and mounted. lot of pics and videos floating here on the forum, maybe a good idea too post it for others in one topic...

CHeers,

Rob
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have been thinking the exact same thing since I seen Jolili's sim. Most of the room is taken up by the actuators in the back, why not move them under the seat?

It will be interesting to compare the performances of the two geometries.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic setup there! Something for all of us to aspire to... :hi:
  5. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi! Guys,

Thanks a lot for all your feedback.
    I will try to add a summary of most of the configurations I have used so far, it is quite a lot as Rob said! LoL

It is interesting how this setup is ease on the actuators... All depends on how long each side of the L shape is... But, it is really smooth in the configuration I've put it in. No complaints from the actuators so far.

One important thing. I don't try to simulate G forces as I don't find it very useful for my driving.
    I like to feel the car suspension, chassis movement, how upset it is against the road in a way to help with my weight transfer management... That is how I am focusing my profiles now.

This is to say that this may not be a satisfactory setup for people who like extreme G simulations. Unless they use aggressive L shape proportions (much longer arm on actuator side)...

Cheers,

MY
  6. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey!

Nice and clean rig!

What about a combination of 2x actuators in a similar position but that only moves the entire rig back and forth (accel-bracking) + 2x actuators on the standard seat mover position ... That would be nice for an extreme G type like me! ... ;-)

What do you think of the T500RS wheel ?

Bleco
  7. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Thank you Bleco!

I like your idea.
    But, if it was to put another actuator, I would do it for detecting a rear slip, like the rear traction loss from Berney's rigs...

The T500RS is a great wheel!
    I love it. It has replaced my ECCI wheel for good.
    The dual belt system works amazingly well.
    I don't like Logitech FFB, but I liked Fanatec one. This is a middle term, it is smooth as Fanatec, but much more powerfull at the same time it is not harsh as Logitech.

You can really feel the road and car with this wheel (using iRacing). It is well constructed, too.
    I do recommend it.

Cheers,

Erick
  8. eddievedda

eddievedda New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Yoda..

Awesome setup you have there.. inspired me to rip my entire rig apart and take the drill and saw to it again :D

Don't mean to hijack your thread.. but just a quick pic of my wip - trying to copy what you did (from what I could make out)

..hope you don't have a copyright on it yet ;)

edit:- also with cheapo door hinges..lol

Attached Files:

9. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5

Good stuff there!
    Looks good! :thbup:

I don't like the door hinges, they make too much noise.

But, I messed up with my order with 80/20, forgot to list some parts and now I am waiting for the second shipment to be able to finish this up... :(
  10. eddievedda

eddievedda New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi again..

Hope you've recieved your parts and your Sim is doing well..

This is the final position I was happy with .. the actuators seemed to lose way too much lateral power when parallel with each other..
    also my seat was touching the actuator at about 80% left/right lean because I have it as low as possible.

Finally sat down and inverted all my profiles (another side effect) and took the Mustang out for a spin..

I was pretty impressed how much feedback I got.. I really thought it would limit the movement a lot more, but it feels almost as if it moves more fluidly.. I may have to tone down the effects!

So on to the testing phase ..and thanks again for a fantastic idea. - 1Up for the Ex-Frex :D

Attached Files:

11. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi! Eddie,

Good job!

I am still struggling with my parts for my final config. But, it is working good.

I didn't really understood your loss of power with parallel configuration.
    Acutally, the optimum angle the actuators should sit is determined by the length and travel of the L shape arm. Neutral position should be 90o. from actuators.

You actuator seem to be too inclined, and sitting really low in the floor, aren't they touching the floor?

As for the profiles, all you need it drop a new line by the end of each axis math with an Inverter Filter. Simple like that.

Cheers,

MY
  12. eddievedda

eddievedda New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excuse the quick paint pic - but just to show a top view of what I meant by parallel setup..
    angle.jpg
    When doing some preliminary tests (with a fat@$$ friend in the seat :uups: ) the actuators seized for moments if he rolled a little too far left or right.. angling them outwards, they became a lot more resistant to higher lateral movements.

As for the L-Arms - they're 90 degrees perpendicular to the floor with the seat level and centered.. while the angle of the actuator is a bit steep (about 30 degrees) towards the floor and about 5mm off the floor, to counter the problem of touching the seat with full left or right roll.

I've made a few changes to the seat now.. so I'll be able to raise the front end of the actuators tonight to get them more parallel to the ground and test them again. Guessing I'll have about 15 degrees incline down and outwards on the actuators.
  13. eddievedda

eddievedda New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK.. raised the actuators about 3cm at the front..

The overall feeling is less roll and more pitch compared to the standard Frex setup.. I like this, especially for something like iRacing - I get a lot more feedback on how hard I'm braking into turns and the roll doesn't simulate G-force as much as actual car roll (albeit a little exaggerated).

Below is my enlarged guinea pig .. if he can't break it, I'm safe :D

..excuse the mobile camera work :blush: ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXSp5WCnFg4&feature=player_profilepage
  14. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Very nice, Eddie!

Just need some work on the profiles now...

And, stop cutting the track, man! ;-)

Cheers,

Erick
  15. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Guys,

I've recently made a new video while I was doing some beta testing of the new Game Stock Car Brazil from Reiza Studios.
    I felt like you could be interested in taking a look at it although it does not show much of the motion rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=457u001wko4

BTW, I still haven't finished the hardware changes on the motion platform, I ordered a bunch of wrong stuff.
    I think I will need ask a friend to manufacture some custom parts to get it done...

Cheers,

MY
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Looks like you disconnected the wheel from the motion frame again.

Regards
  17. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Yes, I did! \o/
  18. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Just wondering, because you mentioned that the disconnected version was better, afair.
  19. MasterYoda

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    It felt good, but for this configuration I have now it would not work, too compact.
  20. Henning Piez

Henning Piez Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi MY,

did you finish your construction of the hinge / levers to the seat? I love that idea, and for future plans I need to get my 2DOF more compact, as I am thinking about constructing that 2DOF in top / in center of a joyrider like construction...