1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial Mjoy16 USB AVR Joystick

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by tronicgr, Jan 3, 2008.

1. amirrehman

amirrehman New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Help

Please help me how to develop racing wheel for pc using this method
  2. matrix1791

matrix1791 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is the mjoy16 compatible with codemasters F1 2010?
  3. razie1

razie1 New Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    does anyone have or know where i the source code for the mjoy16 ?
    because i want to increase the amount of toggle switches
  4. Sokol1

Sokol1 Member

Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -1
    No, source code is not available, and programer - Mindaugas - is no more involved with Mjoy16 project.

Sokol1
  5. razie1

razie1 New Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks like i will have to make do with what i have got :(
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are playing racing games, as suggestion would be to go and buy a proper wheel and pedals.
    You could start with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel and pedals if money is tight. These are a good force feedback wheel with shifter and brake accelerator pedals. They retail here in Australia from $139 to $199 depending on where you buy them from.
    If you have loads of money look at the Logitech G27 setup. This is expensive but a complete set for racing. Prices here start at $499.
    Do a net search and you may find something locally.
    :cheers:
  7. definal

definal 2DOF Platform

Balance:
    - 363Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Dear everybody. can some one to help me to send me a good firmware for Mjoy16 atmega16? until now my job still have the problem. when i connected to the pc my Mjoy16 was error unknown device.
    thank you for your help
  8. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have firmware base on micorchip pic18f2550 only. it can be use to make custom button, pedal, shift or what ever you like. but personally I never built my own wheel. Its not worth to built it yourself unless that is your hobby and you have so much time and money to be wasted.. I use Logitech dfgt and it has plenty of button on wheel you can use. that its just my advice. take it or leave it. :lol:
  9. Fransky

Fransky New Member

Stay-At-Home Parent / Plumber / Sith Lord
    Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok, These are some pictures of an Mjoy16 that I built. It programs perfectly in PonyProg, but when I plug it into my Vista machine it's Not Recognized. I checked the traces, solder joints, continuity, and capacitor viability. I also tested the components to make sure the values were correct. My only suspect is the silver diode. It's labeled 1N4728A. I think it's a Zener, when it should be a 1N4148. I don't know whether that makes a difference.

I successfully programmed an MJoy8, so my programmer works fine. So, I could use some help. Thanks all.
  10. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Did you try it on a non-Vista machiene?

You need 3.3V zener diodes on the USB+ and USB- lines, anode to ground.
  11. Fransky

Fransky New Member

Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, this really sucks. I took another look at my MJoys and realized I'd mixed up the Zener and the hi-speed diodes. So I switched them and now neither device is recognized by windows. I was using TFK 1N914 diodes on the incoming voltage line (V+ and GND) instead of the 1N4728A's that I'd purchased. For some reason, with the 1N914's my Mjoy8 was happy. But when I switched to the 1N4728A diodes, it gave me the finger.

Incidentally Frakk, when you say USB+/-, do you mean the Data pins (2&3) or the Voltage pins (1&4)?

I tried it on a Windows 7 laptop as well, and it wasn't recognized.
  12. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes of course on the Data lines, you don't want to clamp the supply voltage to 3.3V. Which schematic did you follow?

The USB standard specifies maximum 3.3V on the data lines, with the zener you are only protecting the USB input of the PC so the microcontroller doesn't drive these lines with 5V. You still need 5V for power.
  13. Fransky

Fransky New Member

Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oops. dbl post
  14. Fransky

Fransky New Member

Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]This is my Mjoy16
  15. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It looks ok.
  16. Sokol1

Sokol1 Member

Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -1
    Frakk

This (PCB) layout is the same previously used by Tirta. Work Ok.

mjoy16-usb-avr-joystick-t726-390.html

Appart diode model, I suspect of the USB cable used, with similar one some of my Mjoy dont work.

Sokol1
  17. Fransky

Fransky New Member

Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All right, I've really had it with this. I changed to a usb-b socket and I've tried several cables with the same result.

My mjoy16 has never worked and my mjoy8 worked fine (was recognized as 6 axis, 24 button) until I changed the diodes from 4148's to zener type. Then it died as well. WTF am I doing wrong? Is it possible that the inductor or capacitors are shot? How do I test that? How do I test a crystal for function? Are the diodes bad? I tested with my meter (diode setting) and they seem fine. I even tried a different atmega 16 with the same result.

Ugh.

Updated pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Sokol1

Sokol1 Member

Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -1
    Fransky,

Generally, 99% of Mjoy faults is due bad soldering - or wrong components placement.
    1% is component failure.

Re-check solder side with a magnifying glass, look for undesired contacts.

You sure that make security bits write procedure correctly?

When done, first unplug USB cable (power source for ATMEGA), then unplug and remove programer cable.

After plug USB cable to see if Windows recognize as Mjoy.

As I read incorrectly procedure result in crystal clock lock in 1 MHZ - so you need a clock generator to unlock.

I think that a bad inductor only stop axis to work, not Mjoy.

Sometime obvious is not obvious, the last Mjoy16 that I build aren't recognize by Windows.
    I re-check trails, change all board components, and test ATMEGA with another PCB and work OK, another AMTEGA from a working Mjoy dont work in this board...
    Put then in the drawer and I forgot.

About a year after I find this, looked in him and immediately note that the two Zener diodes where inverted!!! :blush:

Resolder then and Mjoy work ok.

Sokol1
  19. Fransky

Fransky New Member

Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll do a closer check and see what's going on. And I'll change the tip on my iron. It could be shot.

Incidentally, is it SUT1 or SUT0 that should be checked? I know about Bootsz1 and Bootszy0, but I had a question about SUT.

Well, I did the unplug sequence according to the mindaugas website: LPT then USB. Maybe that's it. Where did you read about the external clock unlock?

Anyway, thanks for the directions. I'll let you know what happens.
  20. Sokol1

Sokol1 Member

Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -1
    Security & Bits configuration:

[​IMG]

With PonyProgran try ready the .HEX write in ATMEGA, if all is done you are able.

About the external clock I read in some point of this extended thread in Sukoi Forum (in Russian), a long time ago.

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.p ... 406&page=1

And a guy in local forum (in Portuguese) find the same problem, solved with some device called clock generator.

My translation:

The same guy have problem with USB cables - with some generic Chinese brand Mjoy16 dont work.

Sokol1