1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

please help

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by ryisnelly, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    could someone help me, i want to build a SimforceGT with 2 wiper motors.

but i have no idea how to connect it to the computer or how to wire it up.

or how to wire everything together. what parts do i need?

im not in to diy circuit boards is there any premade ones available.
  2. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi ryisnelly

Sometimes the SEARCH function of the forum does not work properly. What you can do then is use Google and specify that it searches only in this forum by adding to your search text site:x-simulator.de so for example enter in Google:

wiper motors site:x-simulator.de

The you can leave off or on
    Kind regards
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have been doing that for the past two days and im still stuck. just need some help :(
  5. sterex

sterex New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello there Ryisnelly, What exactly is that you need help with? If you can specify it more precisely then it will be easier for the people in the forum to help you with.
    Looks to me (I may be wrong) that this is your first project of such nature, if so, don't worry it has been like that for many. And depending on your experience with building stuff and with electronics, it could be quite a daunting task. Even for the very experienced it ain't that easy to build a simulator nonetheless its quite an adventure. Anyhow you have to give more information to the forum about your project.
    So If you have read the threads for the past two days, I would suggest that you read even more. Go through what others had done. I m sure you'll catch something that will be useful to you soon.
    If you want to know more about the electronics and control there are pages and pages about that here at x-sim.
    Try Thano's motor controller and h-bride, Polulu Jrk12v and also velleman K8055, as these are quite famous electronics in the forum.
    Good luck on your project.
    cheers :)
  6. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    finaly someone who is talking to me and not just referring me to other posts :)
    well basically i dont understand the electronics of the whole simulator. like what do i connect the motors to? and how do i power it all, what premade circuit boards do i need, and how to wire them all together and how do i connect it to the computer. i want to build a SimforceGT with 2 wiper motors i know how to set it all out and i have a workshop at my disposal,

if you could help and answer some of my questions i would be truly grateful :)
  7. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you would only click on the referred links, you would find the answers to your questions. If you are not willing to do your homework, don't expect us to hold your hand all the way and answer questions that have been answered many many times before.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I was not trying to be rude, I was not aware that you have trawled through the posts. A good proportion of new members just jump on screaming for assistance when they don't seem to take the time looking first.
    To try and simplify it and give you a bit of an idea, here are some pics. I am using the example of a Pololu JRK 12v12 controller. Other please feel free to add pics of other controller setups.
    The first pic is a diagram of how to wire a pot, motor and power supply to a JRK device.
    The second pic is how I used a lever system to connect to the lever on the wiper motor for the potentiometer. This is how the feedback is created and it tells the computer and control board where the motor position is.
    [​IMG]
    Every lever system will be different depending on setup.
    I probably have not helped, but start with this.
    :cheers:

Attached Files:

9. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    frank dont you think i have tried that, otherwise i would not have even posted this, the title say please help. if you were not willing to help then you would not post and if you were you would post. people may actually want to help me so please keep you chauvinistic views to your self.
  10. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if I sounded rude, but bsft summed it up:

A good proportion of new members just jump on screaming for assistance when they don't seem to take the time looking first.

There are lots of diagrams, example projects, discussions, you just need to spend time reading.

Good Luck!
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    as part of your research, have a look at this vid of motor - pot - lever action under a sim. The potentiometer is there to create a feedback signal to the control board.
    Here is a vid a friend of mine took of under my sim. It shows at 50 seconds , 1:49 min and 2:42 the action of a lever setup to move a pot shaft.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gavinthebadger#p/a
    This may assist some new people with the understanding of a potentiometer feedback setup.
    :cheers:
  12. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    bsft you are a grate help :)

on the second diagram where would the Potentiometer be mounted?
    what happens if i want to use two motors?
    you have nearly answered all my questions :D

thank you
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One pot per motor.
    The pot should be mounted near the motor. This will take some guesswork as there is no set spot. I made up a lever system from some bits of plastic and spare bolts. I connected one lever to freespin on the bolt holding the rod end on the end of the motor lever. I then got another lever and screwed it to the end of the pot shaft.Then I connected both with a small bolt.
    this shows my first lever setup. I had to change it later as the levers were too short and causing feedback issue. And I had to put the pot on bracket on a block of wood. This I did to get the best motion of the pot. You will have to fiddle a bit with this.
  14. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i totally understand it now, do you mind if you use your idea with the pot?
    nice work by the way great job :)
    what wires from the psu did you use?
    are the 12v motors? if so are they
    im so glad you decided to help
  15. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so i need 2 times whats in that diagram. and is that all the bits i need.
    do you connect 2 usbs in the computer?

thanks
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Feel free to use what you need, we all have shared and copied-modified ideas from other users.
    The wire from the psu is spare 240volt cable I had lying around.

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ ... SUPPLY.HTM

Refer to that site for re-wiring. You will need a psu that puts out at least 12v 25 amps. A psu cost me $40, and one per motor.
    The motors are car windscreen wiper motors, not particular brand, just what was cheap at the local auto wreckers. A few phone calls and I found some for $10 each.
    I am going offline, so I will check this again in 12-13 hours time
    Thanks, David.
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, two boards, two usb cables, two pots , single turn 5kohm, two motors, two psu or one GRUNTY psu.
  18. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AH...ha thank you very much i am all sorted now. without you helping me i didnt think i would be able to this. i feel so calm now. that sucks i threw 3 psu out not so long ago
  19. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  20. ryisnelly

ryisnelly New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    also did you flip the terminals for the motor?
    what is the pot ment to be set at when you in stall the arm
    and where is the motor ment to sit. in the middle of them both?