1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    FTDI makes good products, although I think the cables are a bit pricier than normal adapters, but I could be wrong.

Originally RS485 is half duplex, but it is very easy to make it full duplex with a second line driver and an extra twisted pair.
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I tried that adapter whn it first came out. It is half-duplex but the conection reliability wasn't what I was looking for. It's stange but the fact is that the same chip implemented by different vendors can behave quite differently.
  3. FlyingColander

FlyingColander Member

Balance:
    643Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 2 / -0
  4. tikebek70

tikebek70 New Member

Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean it was working on and off, or that your outputs were not consistent?
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Fluctuating outputs are normal with a Windows based Profiler. I was referring to unexplainable connection loss where after the loos, we would connect to the actuator witht eh Dyadic tools only to find that the actuator was reporting a normal state. After checking / re-checking my wiring/solder connections and ordering replacements to ensure I didn't get a bad batch, I scraped the idea. Somewhere in these forums is my dicussion and picture of this from over a year ago.
  6. tikebek70

tikebek70 New Member

Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Definitely not the kind of trouble I want to get myself into! Thanks for the feedback, I'll try some other adapter.
  7. tikebek70

tikebek70 New Member

Balance:
    352Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm confused.
    I was doing some back reading on this thread, and on page 40 you told LearnDriver that you had tried that cable and it worked well?
    But it's the same cable as the one you said didn't work, if you click the link to Mouser's website that he gave for that part # and click on the .pdf datasheet of that product, it will open the document http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... CABLES.pdf which is the same link I was asking about.
  8. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I should be more clear about these things when discussing performance vs. reliability. Someone always conjurs up past quick posts where I did not take the time to explain thoroughly. Please also notice that I said the following two posts down on page 40:

The fact is, I couldn't find an off the shelf adapter that was suitable for commercial usage in a simulator from a reliability perspective. I've pointed that out several times here, but don't want be seen as bashing a competing product so I don't bring it up evertime someone asks about an adapter. With the assumnption that this is already understood, I occasionally chime in to report perofrmance related numbers when asked.

The adapter you linked to was a prime candidate for use in my sims and we built several prototypes. The idea was that it would be simple to crimp SCN connectors to the provided USB cable. Performance was fine with this model (for an off the shelf adapter with the provided multi-purpose drivers) but the project was scrapped due to reliability inconsistencies.

In the end, I wound up having to invest in the SX-3000 product to achieve my goals.

If you're set on trying them, I'm sure I have a few sitting around that I can make you a deal on since I have no use for them.
  9. abs

abs Active Member Gold Contributor

consultant
    Balance:
    784Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Hi a question . does the wirinf apply to the frex japanese actuators
  10. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

No!
  11. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    can i use scn4 with x-sim scn5 plugin?
  12. Supermario1995001

Supermario1995001 New Member

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I'm new here and have very little information about the SCN 6

I wanted to ask how I connect the SCN 6 to the PC (which I know I need RS458 to RS232 then with serial cable to PC)

Can i use that SCN 6 300 mm
    http://simxperience.com/Store/tabid/135 ... fault.aspx
    and can I also use 3 of them with the X-sim software (roll, pitch, yaw)

Could someone tell me what 24V power supplies I should use and all the remaining things I need?

Do I need additional soldering or can I connect these things directly to the newly purchased SCN 6?

One last point:)
    Is the X-sim software for free?

If there is an Link how to use, connect the SCN 6 to PC plz. send that

Ps: I read the posts here, unfortunately they didn't help me :)

Best regards
    Mario
  13. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  14. Supermario1995001

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I dont't want to use the SimXperience Starter Kit. I really want to use the X-Sim Software and all the stuff i need.
    Please answere my questions.

Best regards
    Mario
  15. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    The Starter Kits are designed for use with X-Sim.

That said, what adapters and power supplies you need is going to be based on where you are located and what's available there. You need 3amps per SCN6 actuator that you want to drive.
  16. Supermario1995001

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

so what i need indeed is 3 SCN 6 300mm in Starter Kits.
    But do i need 1 Starter Kit box or more?
    Can i buy they 3 SCN 6 300mm with the Starter Kit and is it easy to connect them with the box to the pc? After that i can Download the X-Sim Software and can easiely run the Simulator with Roll, Pitch and Yaw? is that right :D

Best regards
    Mario
  17. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The SX-3000 can control 3 actuators, SX-4000 can control 4 actuators. Each actuator has a single connector.
    You plug it in the USB, plug in the actuators, install the SimXperience Commander, enter serial numbers, load profile, you are ready to play.
    If you build a different simulator than the profiles define, you can easily change it in X-Sim Math.
  18. Supermario1995001

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for all the Infomation!
    I will call again if there are problems :D

Best regards
    Mario
  19. SimSim

SimSim New Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking at a slightly different rig configuration, and was wondering whether is it possible to use the SCN6 (or other) actuators in parallel to give twice the force? How would this typically controlled?

I understand that the SimExperience 4000 can run up to four actuators, so would this be a nice tidy way of doing it?

Attached Files:

20. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    You have to yoke the two actuators with 3 total pivots, not connect them firmly. This is because one actuator can be a little behind the other due to Windows timing and you dont want to cause one actuator to have to drag the other. I have seen the yoke concept successfully implemented, but I did not do this myself. Additionally, the push pull system is effective as SirNoName mentions, because the 1-2mm that you can be off in positioning is likely to be compensated for with mechanical slop as the resuly of ball joints, etc..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.