1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Wiper Motor Force

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by JRL, Mar 13, 2010.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool, what sort of current setting do you have on the jrk boards?
  2. gzezelj

gzezelj Member

Balance:
    - 84Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you think? Are 12V 15W-20W wiper motors enough for SimForceGT?
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Probably not. Have a look in your local telehone book - yellow pages, find some car-auto wrecking yards. Ring up and or visit, ask for two wiper motors - cheap, no particular vehicle. Ring a few places. Here in Sydney I rang 4 places and the prices started for second hand from $80 (WTF!!!) , a few calls later I found a place that sells them to me for $10 each. Wiper motors are about 240w at 12 v. More than enough grunt to move a sim. You will need at least a 200watt motor.
  4. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    $80 for wiper... they use titanium casing :yippiee:
  5. gzezelj

gzezelj Member

Balance:
    - 84Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    240W at 12V? Is it possible? I found on internet only china bus wiper motors which are more than 150W. Regular car wiper motors are not more than 50W. It is also difficult to find two motors with the same RPM.
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I may be wrong to some point, however, most people here run their wiper motors upwards of 10-20amps at 12 volts. Volts x Amps = Watts. So that would equal a 120-240 watt motor. I am a nutcase as I push my motors up to 21.5 amps.
    Can anyone else clarify this please?
    As for two motors the same speed, good luck! Unless you get exactly the same model , then a different speed should not be too much issue. Most run at 55-60 rpm. I have two different motors at two different speeds on high. I cannot notice a difference.
    Can anyone else clarify this as well please?
  7. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My motors consume 2.5 Amps w/o load (Ford Siera). I'm expecting something around 10-15 Amps with me in the seat (unfortunately haven't been able to finish the frame :()
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sort of current drain would be about right with a person on the frame. If the motors you are looking at do not cost much, then feel free to buy them. Put them on and see how you go.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nah. just rip off merchants. A new one from a 12 volt powered small bus or truck cost about $110. Some wrecking yards just charge heaps especially if the car is under 10 years old.
  10. gzezelj

gzezelj Member

Balance:
    - 84Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have bought today two wiper motors from Ford Sierra. The numbers on them are the same. I have noticed a little difference in RPM between (+) and (-) direction. Maybe I'm wrong because I didn't count them actually. Is it normal? I think is the best way to put the motors on the frame in parallel so the both turns in the same direction, not inverted.
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It should not be a huge difference, as the motors are only twitching up and down, not doing complete revolutions. As long as they are both on high speed, you should be fine.
  12. gzezelj

gzezelj Member

Balance:
    - 84Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You are right. I have counted and difference is 3-4 RPM on high speed which is not huge.