1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's DIY dual Mosfet H-bridge (DSMhb)

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by tronicgr, Dec 30, 2007.

1. mimio37

mimio37 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I have a simulator to 2 motors 24v, in the H-bridge the IRF4905 and IRFZ44N is burned. I have changed motors 24V by motors 12v, I have changed IRFZ44N by IRF3205, test with motor 9v and power 9v the H-bridge work, when test a motor 12v and power 12v, the H-bridge no work. I saw that it fauld to uses IRLZ44N. It is possible working with IRF3205?
    Sorry for my English. :thbd:
  2. bfilatov

bfilatov New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone! Recently I finished Tronic's AMC 1.5 board and DSMhb. It was all alright, worked perfectly (thanks for good guide, Tronic!), until I forgot to use anti-static bracer and small spark jumped from my finger to 74HC08 on DSMhb. After that, my DSMhb started to be strange :S On first channel it only works with small motors from toy, but when I connect wiper, it starts very slowly, like there is not enough power. After few seconds it become a little faster, but still not good. The second channel not working at all.
    What I'v tryed to fix it:
    - replaced 74HC08 on brand new
    - replaced all MOSFETs (thought static spark killed it)
    - tryed to change increase/decrease KP setting with hypertrm
    - reprogrammed ATMega few times
    But all that not helped :( Anyone can help me with hint? I have no idea what to do next to make it work as it should.
    Oh, another thing, mb it's important. Few minutes before static spark, I connected feedback pot with with wrong polarity, i.e. if it should be connected on AMC like 1,2,3 I connected it 3,2,1 Mb it can affect the board too?
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The pot can be burned out, and other components could be damaged after you ran it with zapped 74HC08. It is impossible to say what is wrong without testing it in depth with an oscilloscope.
  4. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    big trouble you have there.. i think 74HC08 problem. wiring may be. :yes:
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    He just changed all those, and the wiring did not change. It will be damaged components.
  6. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sometime new 78hc08 faulty. i have experience this before
  7. bfilatov

bfilatov New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'v tryed 2 new 74HC08 - no changes.
    Thinking of buying all other components for DSMhb, except for FETs, as I bought them already.
    I think there is no chance static spark could damage resistors, right? So I don't have to solder them again.
    If it will not work....hmmm... perhaps ATmega was damaget? The AMC board was connected to DSMhb when that bad spark jumped.
  8. theother5

theother5 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    bfilatov, I'm sorry to hear of your problem. Static can be a real headache to deal with and there's a lesson for everyone there ... me included.

I'd prioritise logic and processor components first to replace and work from there. Get a new ATmega programmed ... the old one will a real candidate for damage. The Passives [R & C] will not be damaged nor will wiring or anything bulky. Do check all the tracks on your board though particularly any very narrow and thin ones. The FETs should be fairly well protected too in my opinion but you've checked them out too.

Static charge can reach levels of 10's of KV commonly so when it hits, it can do lots of damage and it's often very difficult to track down! With this board design however, it's not too complex.

Good luck

Replace one part at a time if you chose to go the repair route [which I guess you will]
  9. dj dicksy

dj dicksy New Member

Balance:
    340Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone.My name is Claudiu and i live in Romania.After i killed my first H-bridge i decided to modify the pcb board and this is the result.I would like to thanks thanos for sharing his projects and to all of you which helped making this site a very interesting one.For h-bridge i used irf 4905 and irf 3205 and it worked very well.And some pictures
    http://img199.imageshack.us/i/img20110127093500.jpg/
    http://img153.imageshack.us/i/img20110127093303.jpg/
    http://img37.imageshack.us/i/img20110127093316.jpg/
    http://img214.imageshack.us/i/img20110127093330.jpg/
    http://img9.imageshack.us/i/img20110127093428.jpg/
    http://img257.imageshack.us/i/img20110127093438.jpg/

Attached Files:

10. bfilatov

bfilatov New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello ppl! I finaly got my H-brigde back in work! All the thing was in wrong MOSFETs I used. When I only decidet to build H-bridge, I bought all the components, I noticed this at the first page of this topic:

There is a small error in the part list! The IRFZ44 part is actually the IRL44N model (There is difference between IRFZ44 and IRLZ44N !!!! You need the IRLZ44N ones!!!!!! The ones without N are not able to fully turn on by the 5v logical system of the h-bridge! )

and I bought right FETs.
    After static spark killed something on a board (it was few months later), I replaced many things in order to find damaget item. BUT, I forgot about that small error and all the time I tryed to get my H-bridge work with wrong (IRFZ44L) FETs!!! No wonder it worked not as intendet.
    Thanks God I saw that now. To all who will have some pbs with motors working weird, to slow or anything wrong - double check the models of FETs u use. It should be IRF4905 and IRLZ44N (not IRFZ44 !!! )
  11. micma80

micma80 Member

Balance:
    548Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    hello dj dicksy, your layout is very compact DSMHb!
    please could you send the layout to pdf?
    I have already realized the DMSHb 1.2be works perfectly, now I want to build one for a single motor,
    thanks
    micma80
  12. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I'm using IRFZ44N and all is OK (sim not fully operational, basic testing done).
    I will get IRFL44N just to have them arround if things go wrong.
    Thanks for the info bfilatov :thbup:
  13. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have killed a lot of mosfets, including irlz-ones. Everytime the reason was mechanical errors I made. Just be shure there are no shorcuts, and make your construction in a way so the motors cant stall. Also use small fuses tex 7,5-10 amp. You are velcome to read about all my mistakes at my topic :D

Fred
  14. dj dicksy

dj dicksy New Member

Balance:
    340Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry I couldn't convert the layout to PDF because I don't know how. This is a layout for a single hbridge, modified for micma80. I hope you can use it. This type of file you can open with ExpressPCB, which is a free tool you can download on the internet. If someone in this comunity could help you to convert the layout to PDF, I wish you good luck. For any other problems you can send me a message. I hope this will help you to fix your problem.

Attached Files:

15. micma80

micma80 Member

Balance:
    548Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hi dicksy dj
    tnx for Single Hbridge

Single Hbridge dicksy dj mod PDF (1:1)
    Single Hbridge.pdf

***EDIT***
    Single Hbridge dicksy dj mod PDF (1:1), complete section of the pilot circuit (74HC08)
    Single Hbridge pilot circuit (74HC08).pdf
  16. jumboa

jumboa New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sawasdee Krub,

Hi,all I am a new member, my name is Jumbo A ,I am a Thai Student in Thailand and my English not well.

I need a H-Bridge Motor Driver and using PWM, I try to make my own H-Bridge as DSMhb , when I set logic input A=1,B=1,PWM=1 , 4 MOSFETs are broken. What's it happen?

And I try to make it using some opto-isolator (PC827) to split MCU's GND and POWER's GND, as my schematic, (I use PIC MCU)

[​IMG]

Truth Table

A|B|PWM||Q1|Q2|Q3|Q4|MOTOR
    x|x| 0 || 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |STOP
    0|0| 1 || 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |STOP
    0|1| 1 || 0 | 1 | 1 | 0 |BW
    1|0| 1 || 1 | 0 | 0 | 1 |FW
    1|1| 1 || 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 |FAST STOP

How I will modified it ? My schematic is not work as the truth table. Help me pls.

Thank You, Krub.
  17. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You cannot use optoisolators to drive MOSFETs, especially not high side N-ch mosfets.

Use IR2110 drivers instead.

edit: Sorry I just noticed P-ch top MOSFETs. You still cannot drive MOSFETs with optoisolators or transistors. The Turn-On and Turn-Off times will be way too slow and shoot-through will burn them.
  18. bfilatov

bfilatov New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello ppl! Has anyone tryed to use more powerful motors than wipers? I build my joyrider from steel and (what a surprise! :blush: ) it's become much more heavy, so wiper motor I bought (from nissan) can't move it. I was looking for more powerful wipers, but looks like they are all around 30-40 Watts. Any idea what kind of motor (with reductor ofc) I can use with DSMhb? Where to find it, or what to broke :D ?
    Another question: if I will use 24V wipers (from trucks), will it work with Tronic's DSMhb?
  19. SimonUK

SimonUK Member

Electronic Engineer
    Balance:
    705Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Im using 180 Watt motors with the DSMhb and they move my steel joyrider no problem at all! Using heatsinks and a powerful fan I've had no trouble with overheating MOSFETs either.
  20. bfilatov

bfilatov New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SimonUK, thanks for your answer! So far, I have no pbs with overheating, but anyway, I use good heatsinks and fan.
    Can you, please, tell me, what kind of motors do you use? Where should I search for them? Are they 12V?