1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My turn to make a full motion simulator (planning)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by MrChaos, Jan 23, 2011.

1. MrChaos

MrChaos New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all :)

Now is the time for me to try making a full motion simulator for my race sims, I've been looking around in here to find a design there would suite me, and as easy to build as possible, when I saw Thanos' design and saw the building materials, I fell in love with it instantly :D

Now I have been thinking all day about the building materials, because pvc tubes is not that pretty to look at, and my simulator is going to be standing in our living room :)
    After a couple of hours to find some material that was cheap and durable, I thought of the same square aluminium tubes that you use to make aquarium stands out of.
    But will those tubes be durable enough to make a full motion simulator out of ?

Michael
    Denmark
  2. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello, good to see another scandinavian here, and velcome. If you are going to use your sim in the livingroom and space and design is an issue, I would consider seat mover sfgt-style simulator or something like deriys design (top work at first page) I was also considering joyrider, but it seems to me that most people choose or recomend seat-mover for racing. Some of us are building seat-mover with vipermotors and Thanos electronics (or part of it) and there is also alternative hardware for vipermotors. I think a seat-mover will be faster and easyer to build also. Anyway good luck Michael! :thbup:

Fred
  3. MrChaos

MrChaos New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi fredspeed

Yes I have been looking at seatmovers, it's not the space that is the issue here, it's the looks of Thanos' joyrider, it don't really look good in a living room :D

The reason that I don't want to build a seat mover is, that I wan't to have the same motion as in the joyrider, and I also want to have my 3x19 monitors installed on the simulator and not having them stand on the table, it seams wrong to me that you have a motion on your seat and you monitor just stands still, because in a real racing car you are strapped tight to your seat and you follow the movement of the car, so you vision is almost the same on straights and turns.
    But I haven't tried a simulator before, so I'm only guess that it would be like that. :)

But could I use the aluminium tubes ? :)
  4. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have not tried one either, that is the reason I listen to what people are experiencing here at the forum. I also like the thought of the g-forces in joyrider, but i understand the fast tensions you feel in a racing car is easyer to get from a seat-mover. have never been in a real racing-car either, so its all about imagination anyway :D
  5. MrChaos

MrChaos New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi

Is there anywhere I can buy all electronics for a joyride or a seatmover simulator, I'm going to use wipermotors.

I'm not that great at electronics to build my own curcuitboards, and if I should build them my self, then I can't find a complete list of components that I need to build the boards, so if there is you know of a good place to buy the electronics, I would appreciate if you could drop some links here, so that I can start build my simulator :)

Michael
  6. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Let me share my experience: I had no skills in electronics, but desided to try build Thanos boards. The reason for it was that I enjoy doing it myself. I had to use a lot of time, and I am still not shure if I am able to make it work, because there is still some problems to overcome. Therefor I recomend you to study some of the other solutions as pololu or Vellemann, and deside how much of this you want to build yourself. I am pretty sure if I have chosen tex. pololu from the beginnin this would be cheaper for me. I had a lot of cost in shipping, etc. I have used http://www.futurlec.com/ and http://www.digikey.com/ to get my parts. Warnings: Futurlec takes time, and digikey have expensive shipping. Futurlec also made my pcb.

If you have not alredy, read this topics:
    pololu-jrk-12v12-t2697.html
    k8055-dual-wiper-motor-control-with-variable-speed-t2795.html

If I where at your stage, I would certainly go for one of these solutions. :yes:

Fred
  7. MrChaos

MrChaos New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Fredspeed

Thanks for your help, I think I'll go with the Jrk 12v12 it seams easier, but can I still use the profiles people in here are making for the games, or do I have to learn how to make those profiles from the start ? :)
  8. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There are plugins for the compatible games.They work with Force-sender. in Profiler the profiles is made to fit the hardware (like pololu) and the setup (as joyrider) but also the games to improve the force feedback. I am sure the people using pololu12v12 are willing to share the profiles they use, and you can edit them after your needs. While you are witing for parts it is useful to play around with x-sim sofwware to learn about it. Others might also explain this better than me.

Fred
  9. MrChaos

MrChaos New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have installed x-sim but I can't start it, it says : the requested operation requires elevatition
    I get this message with both Force profiler and Force Sender :(
  10. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Do not have the answer for that but: There are different versions of x-sim, and you can try another to see if you get the same problem then. You can post your problem at this topic: x-sim-beta-general-f57.html Be shure to tell what system/platform you are running, then it is easyer to get help. Also read this: how-to-report-bugs-effectively-t1322.html (I have not :lol: )

Fred
  11. Deleted member 4666

Deleted member 4666

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You need to run Sender & Profiler with admin-rights. :thbd:
  12. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Post the version of your operating system and x-sim you're using, and you'll get better answers.
    I think I've had something similar, and I need to use compatibility mode in my Win7 64bit to run x-sim SW.
  13. MrChaos

MrChaos New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you that helped, so now I can use the program :)
  14. MrChaos

MrChaos New Member

Balance:
    333Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm also using Win7 64 bit version, but with run as administrator it worked
    I'm using the 10.0.1.2 version :)

Michael
    Denmark
  15. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Your user account should be an administrator on the PC. Run as Administrator will work, but its annoying to not be able to simply double-click an icon.
  16. Deleted member 4666

Deleted member 4666

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No!

Changing permissions for the serial port is/should be the way to go.
  17. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    LOL... Are you going to write the tutorial? The users will need screenshots to be able to follow it too.
  18. Deleted member 4666

Deleted member 4666

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will you create the screenshots to remove the latest trojan that came in with the funnyfunny.pps attachment?