1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

How to calculate screen size for 1:1 scale in rfactor?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by julian.bernard, Jan 12, 2011.

1. julian.bernard

julian.bernard New Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All,

I'm in the process of converting my simulator to projector display and was wondering if there's any way I can calculate what the optimal screen size in rfactor is in order to have a life size image? Also, would this size change if I chose to go for a 3 PJ set up?

Kind regards,

Julian
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Common sense tells me if you want 1:1 size, the screen should be the same size of the car that is seen on the screen.

But why bother going into calculations? You can change the screen size in a moment, not like a flat screen TV..
    Just get the PJ and start playing with it.
  3. julian.bernard

julian.bernard New Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Only reason I ask is because knowing the size I can start trying to calculate the radius of the curved screens, seating distance away from the screen etc as I'm really thinking about going down the curved screen route. It also crosses my mind about just taking the actual wheel base of the open wheeler but the thing is I don't know how to relate how much of the screen is occupied by the enviroment. Then I thought having the freedom of adjusting the camera/FOV in rfactor means that to an extent I can play with the actual size of the car on screen, is this Correct? (meaing I can't really determine one size of screen as variables can be adjusted to suit :? )

For now I'm thinking of having a 2m radius, with a 120-180 degree arc. With a 4:3 aspect ratio, that would give me a maximum height of around 1.57m (taking the 180 FOV scenario). Any views on how that will look? I m thinking about using mitsubishi hc3800 or Benq W1000+ projectors...

Julian
  4. thejester09

thejester09 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    while playing on my 52 LG the steering wheel is definately larger than in reality. i would say that 46 would be the optimal size for 1:1, i can only suggest that this may also apply to curved screens, only question is do you want to base this on diameter of curved screen or circumfrance? i can also assume that by using 3 pj's that it would not affect the ratio as you would be widening the fov. another concern i have is that while using a curved screen you need to sit inside the screen to feel immersed, but with a larger diameter screen with a roof screen as well, i cant help but think that the images on the side may seem as tho they are to far back. only way to remedy this would be to move the screens further ahead. but by doing this you are decreasing the size of the image as your brain perseeves it. optimally you want the screen to be just infront of the steering wheel.