1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Building a PC for gaming:

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by Fahim, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Building new PC:

Water Cooling System:
    Swiftech Apogee GTZ 1366 £55............Cooling block for I7 proccessors on X58 motherboards.
    XSPC Dual Bay Split Reservoir £50
    XSPC RS360 Radiator x 2 £90.............. Price for 2 radiators.
    Xilence Wing Fans x 6 £30....................Price for 6 fans to sit on radiators.
    Swiftech MCP355 Pumps x 2 £120........Price for two pumps for dual loop water system.
    Danger Den GTX480 Water Block £130

The PC:
    Asus Rampage III Extreme Motherboard £200
    SSD 60GB Harddrive £130
    Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 480 £380
    Corsair DDR3 2GB x 2 1666mhz £90
    Xilence 1000W PSU Power Supply £120
    Windows 7 £80
    i7 950 Proccessor £250

Will build a acrylic glass case.

Anyone give me tips on quality of these products and the price, also I can't afford a bigger SSD. Do they improve game speed? If they don't, I can get a 300GB normal hardrive for £100.00.
  2. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I think you should focus on what really are your needs and then choose the best buy parts... What are you looking for exactly?

Why do you want to spend all that money in a water cooling system and in a 60gig SSD drive? SSD are quiter, provide better access and latency but for the price, are they really worth it ... no... Combining my Rfactor, GTR2 and Race07 folders size makes more then 60gigs...

Do you want to overclock ? If yes, why do you want to overclock? you won't have any bottleneck with a core I7 950 and fast memory.

Also spending that much in an Asus Rampage motherboard won't be necessary if you don't plan for serious overclocking.

I rather invest my money in a better GPU, more and faster memory and at least in a 1TB standard HD.

To run the lattest games with max settings you don't necessarily need a water cooling system. High quality GPU's built in fans are sufficient with the addition of good case fans.

Precise your needs, budget and then we could possibly help ...

Bleco
  3. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I want to build a computer that will last forever. About 5 years.

So I won't over clock at the start but with new games coming in the future with DX11. I'll start over clocking in a few years.

Plus I want to play everything in ultimate settings. I think I'll give up on the SSD. Maybe they'll come down alot in future.

Anyone want to buy a car. lol

p.s I bought a quad core pc which is not clockable (bios locked) about a few years ago and now I don't think it is good enough 2.5ghz. So these i7 can be clocked to around 5ghz. I bet stock proccessors at that speed won't be out until 2012 at least so sometimes it's good to spend it all out early and works out better in the long run.

Strong PC can maybe handle threee screens with 3-d capabilitY. I think times are changing now. MOre POWER is needed with all these new technology coming out so fast. Like new GPU's and games with high tech graphics to compete with new gen consoles. And also triple screen is going big aswell as 3-d.
  4. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Samsung, seagate 1TB - 44£, 2TB (7200rpm) 120£ - Scan.co.uk
    Forget about this SSD. You don`t need it. Instead of x58 go for P55 chipset. Cheaper motherboard, Dual Channel Memory configuration (cheaper), Cheaper CPU - if you will set them right you will be able to achive the same result as more expensive i7 on x58. If you can, wait till AMD will release his new Radeon. Prices of gtx480 will go down or you will decide to go for theirs one. It will all keeps you for long time.
    Good overclocking means years without fail or damage. I have been on both P55 and X58 with CPU running over 4.5Ghz and always it was and alwasy will be about GPU power. Ram speed meas less then ammount. At least 4GB. If you can, go for 2x 4GB and after few years add another 8GB. Thrust me it means a lot. Cpu speen over 4.0GHZ is only for those who runs 3-Way GPU Mode. If you not overclocking skip this all Water Cooling idea. That what you have seen in case of my rig - this is for assholes! Read a little bit more about LUCID HYDRA 200 (Big Bang Fuzion motherboard). Maybe this is solution for you as a long term GPU system. I have a lot of experience with this one and i can easy recomend it.
  5. wimpo`

wimpo` Member

metselaar
    Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    well i am more of the bang for buck hardware like amd/ati.
    But if this is the way for you, than at least buy triple channel memory because of stability problems when you try to use dual channel with the x58 chip set :lol:
    h55 / p55 chip set is for dual channel
  6. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the tip man. X58 is for triple cards, that should solve it. So I buy 3 x 2GB to have 6GB.

Skaut69, I think the difference in price for rampage and the P6 is 50-60 pounds. I can get rampange for 200 pounds new. Why not go for the best now? I checked the reviews and there were no noticable bad feedback.

p.s btw whats wrong with triple channel memory. Does dual perform better.
  7. wimpo`

wimpo` Member

metselaar
    Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    no triple channel versus dual channel doesn't perform better but with the triple channel its better to get 6gb for price/performance instead of 3gb.
    and for dual channel 4gb price/performance and this is in most cases sufficient enough, you don't need a lot of memory rather take fast memory.
    From 1333mhz and up is good.

but if i where you than this would be my setup.

Amd setup:
    [​IMG]
    2 HD5850's in crossfire for the video power.

Intel setup:
    [​IMG]

The Amd setup will out perform the intel setup easily in game performance, and is cheaper.
    it will also be longer upgradable.
    That's what i meant with the bang for buck for the same price as Intel (even a bit cheaper) a lot more performance.
    This Intel setup will be better performing with video editing and rendering.
    Not that it's not good for gaming but it can be a lot better.

PS: I didn't include other parts as cpu coolers and/or mouse/keyboard.
  8. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, that was a nice list for me to compare now. Ill do it tommorow. btw, you guys every bought second hand components from Ebay. I've always bought new but you see alot of intel chips being sold (i7's) which have hardly being used (well thats what it says in description)
  9. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have never achived better performance in case of faster Ram. Only when i went for more. Minimum is 4GB. Watching on new games and theirs spec you have to think about more then 8GB. Memory speed only kicks when you work with GPU`s memory. If you will accept it then you can buy 8GB (in dual banks) for a lot less then 6GB (Tripple). Stick to 1333Mhz and you will be good.
  10. wimpo`

wimpo` Member

metselaar
    Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Again this type of hardware solutions are usefull in memory demanding programs like photoshop or video editing software or cad.
    I'm using 4GB memory butt never exceed this even when using photoshop, or playing games.
    Games demand
    1. a fast GPU (2Gb memory is just propaganda look at speeds)
    2. Fast memory 1333 to 1600 (The Asus rampage support up to 2000 OC)
    3. Fast processor Quad or 6 core not even necessary because most programs don't support multi core instructions.
    And for intel systems i5 760 will perform also good in games.

with all the computers i build 2 things mostly form a bottleneck.
    1.cpu
    2.gpu
    And then come
    3.memory
    4.hdd

And I've build a lot of computers.
  11. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Man, i made a mistake , i looked at the Rampage Gene iii at £200.

The Asus Rampage iii extreme is £300!!!! +