1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Some suggestion needed (thanos AMC and Hbridge)

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Running_Wild, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Running_Wild

Running_Wild New Member

Balance:
    26Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi there, i would like to know if there are commercial and ready to use alternatives of thanos AMC and H-bridge. My first intention was to build it myself, but the only italian pcb making online service ask for 80 eur for 2 amc boards (2 is the minimum order) so i suppose i have to add another 80 for 2 h-bridges, then i have to order all the components and solder it (never did it before), so i was thinking that with the same money (or little more, it's not a problem) i could buy something ready for use. I also have submitted a request in marketplace, if someone would like to build the thanos boards for me i will pay for materials and work, thank you! And sorry for my bad english!!!!
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    How much are you looking to spend, and what type of simulator you want?
  3. Running_Wild

Running_Wild New Member

Balance:
    26Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've just finished to build the structure of my sim, it's just like the OscarH one http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/oscarh-s-homebrewed-2-dof-car-simulator-t1359.html (with the difference that mine will be flight sim oriented)

i don't have a specific budget, i want just ride my sim the best i can and if there are some products that i can't actually afford i will surely save some money for it.

i found those two polulu products, this is the controller http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1393 and this is the motor driver http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/708
    are they a good alternative to thanos AMC and HBridge? what will be the differences?
    thanks!
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You don't need a separate motor driver, the first one already has a 12A driver on it. If you don't use large motors, 12A (30A peak) should be plenty for each.

There are a lot of differences, but let's not get into it in too much detail.
    It has a lot of nice features and the software package seems to be decent too. The full PID controller (vs. P only) will be a lot better with positioning, and the graphical display will make it much easier to tune.

Note that you will need 2 of those controllers, 1 for each motor.
    And DOUBLE MAKE SURE that you fully understand the manual and how to use it BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING. Also make sure it can be used with X-Sim through the USO.
  5. Running_Wild

Running_Wild New Member

Balance:
    26Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thank you so much frakk, now all the matter is more clear!!! will it give enough power for a wiper motor? maybe you can suggest me something better? How can i know if this is compatible with x-sim? Sorry for all those questions, but i'm in a critical stage of my project! thank you!!!
  6. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It depends on the wiper motor if it will give enough power. Usually a regular car size wiper doesn't draw more than 15A-20A under heavier load. These will be short bursts most of the time, and the controller should handle it up to 30A. Make sure you have enough cooling on the board and chip, and you will be fine. It will be the power supplies that could give you more trouble.

The User's Manual is a very good place to start. Read it through about 3 times and you will have a good understanding. I'm pretty sure it has a serial command input for controlling it, most of Pololu's products do.

Here is an example Pololu servo controller project connected to X-Sim.
    http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/Servo_Ta ... _mboRacing