1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN5 / SCN6 Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by egoexpress, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Re: SCN5 Hardware Thread

When you buy the scn5, the rods have grease on them.

Are you supposed to regulary grease them?
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Mirai told me, that the SCN5/6 are maintainance-free.

Besides that, I wouldnt risk to apply grease which isnt approved by Dyadic, as the mixture may develop unexpected/negative characteristics.

Regarding the actuator weakening. Like Sirnoname suggested before, there may be some dust or lint particles on the encoder disk, which lead to step losses.
    As you havent warranty anymore anyway, you may try to open the encoder housing, and clean the encoder disk and the encoder with clean air (air spray-can or compressor).

Btw, a weak actuator may be the result of too low accelleration and speed settings, in the Profiler SCN5 plugin. Check if you changed the values perhaps.
  3. leonpo

leonpo New Member

Balance:
    - 25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hello

I want to report successfull test of the following USB Adapter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0472488800

I have used latency 1 in com port settings and (0,0,70, no checkbox) in plugin window and average update rate is 160/sec (up to 180).

Leon
  4. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Leon, that is the adaptor I use and same settings are yours apart from latency 6. I have average 160 and sometimes up to 189 but that is when testing out of the game.

When playing game, you should play it in window mode and keep the scn5 plugin open so you can see the results when your driving.

Because for me, they did not stay on 160. They sometimes dropped to 110 which is a shame.

I have even assigned the profiler and sender to CPU 3 & 4 ( i have quad core). And GTR2 to CORE 1 & 2.

But even then the outputs per second just drop when cpu levels are mid range.

I think I need to invest in other adaptors.
  5. leonpo

leonpo New Member

Balance:
    - 25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am running Profiler on a second PC and the update rate stays between 160-180

Leon
  6. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well that is why. Stand alone pc for profiler. But I thought quad core pc's would have helped me more.
    It is doing a decent job.
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

It is possible for a quad core PC to achieve 250 updates per second or more consistently. I do it here with an Intel Q9600 quad core, a Core i7 quad core, and also an AMD Phenom quad dore. The PC's processor is not the limiting factor on any modern dual or quad core PC. The main limiting factors are the USB to RS485 conversion chip, the quality of the implementation of the chip, the drivers and the driver settings.

For example, I have tested four different off the shelf adapters with the FTDI 232R series chip. Each implementation of the same chip yielded different performance results.
  8. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How do you assign your programs to the cpu.

Do you have game running on CPU 1 & 2 and Profiler,Sender running on CPU 3 & 4?
  9. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I typically do not isolate the profiler on the first CPU core for SCN5 based sims. I don't think this will impact your outputs per second on an SCN5 based sim because we don't utilize enough of one processor to create resource contention.

If you have installed the free Commander software and choose 2DOF SCN5 as your simulator type then all of your X-Sim settings will be automatically optimized to the same settings that I use here. I'm fairly certain that most folks who have optimized their performance have arrived at similar or identical settings.
  10. matti77

matti77 New Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi all! Just updated my system from wipermotors to scn5.Now i have problems with regonising both scn same time....When i use one adapter with both scn the x-sim software doesn't regonize anything.then i take first scn off and restart prog then second regonised.second off then restart first one regonised.i have two adapters but maybe another one is broken,because that i only try to connect only one.this is pic what adapter i use.and sorry for to bad english

Attached Files:

11. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

hi,
    you must rename the scn5.i have send you a software per pm for make this.
  12. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

A couple of quick points here:

-Performance will not be good with only one adapter. Your updates per second will be divided by the number of actuators

-The trick to making one adapter work is not only changing the name, but most importantly, changing the ID. You can do this all from within the X-Sim software. I recommed clearing the X-Sim registry entries first (via c:\program files\x-sim\other stuff\registrycleaner.exe) and then with only ONE actuator connected, set the actuator ID to 1 and change its name. Then connect only the second actuator and set its ID to 0 and rename it. Then you can conect both actuators and you will be able to address both actuators with only one adapter.
  13. matti77

matti77 New Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

thanks so lot at last both scn5 moves,must order other adapter but now i test with only one adapter.But Nima and bvillersjr you do me happy....and my wife hapier than me.thanks guys so much =)
  14. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

do you have the jumper correct on both adapter?
  15. G-ForceSims

G-ForceSims New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Back again :)

We cleaned and regreased the two actuators, and now they're working like the new ones! :) Thanks for your support and quick reply, we will handle the SCN5's more carefully in the future. We're planning to share our profiles for LFS and RBR, but they still need some minor tweaks :)

Best regards:

G-ForceSims Team
    Hungary
  16. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

good stuff. what grease you use. anytype. it must be the dust that gets in after a while?
  17. Kullen

Kullen New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 50Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  18. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

This is the second best generic adapter that I have tested. Did you set the jumpers to the RS485 position?
  19. Kullen

Kullen New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 50Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The jumpers is in the same position as it was when it was working before the update to win 7, 64.
  20. Henning Piez

Henning Piez Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hi friends,

perhaps you can help me. My Rig gets better and better and I also improve in understanding the Xsim2 software. But now I found a thing I can't understand. It concerns the SCN5 Pluggin / Interface. There you can setup Speed, ACC and Position. I found a perfect setting and setup and saved this setup. After restarting Xsim everything seems fine. In the Interface there are the three right values in the number values as also in the graphical bar /slider. But after starting Iracing and Xsim going to Start the problem begins. The numbervalues are still right, but the graphical bar does show now an much higher value and also in the sim the SCN5 work much more aggressive now.

Now, how can I fix the settings in die SCN5 Interface? It's not nice to setup everything again after each Xsim restart.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.