1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

F1 Like Wheels

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by splendiddd, Jun 17, 2010.

1. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    I dont know if this is X-Sim related but i am working on a modded Frex wheel with Leo Bodnar's SLI-Pro board.

Old Wheel:

momo101 copy.jpg

Result till now: (sorry for the bad quality, camera broke :()

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=152CCx373Vk

Still working on stickers for the rotary encoders (12steps) a solid backcover and a full quickrelease solution. I also have a Rally/GT round wheel i want to use in combo with it, but i need to fiddle around with the 8-pin DIN connector from frex. Keep u posted.

Please share your vids or pics of your F1 (DIY) wheels, i know some guys over here have them. :cheers:

Regards,

Rob
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Re: F1 DIY Wheels

What is DIY on that project exactly?

Regards
  3. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Re: F1 DIY Wheels

Nothing really, just the buttons/encoders and the body, i meant that the guys who did a DIY wheel should share, sorry for the confusion. Changed the topic name.

Regards
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Some additional detail photos of your mods in your initial post would be nice :)
  5. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Working on it, camera does't work properly :(
  6. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi rob.
    nice work.
  7. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Updated Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0devTJHbySM

DSC01930.jpg

Now with clutches:

DSC01933.jpg

Secondary GT Wheel:

DSC01936.jpg

Cheers
  8. Schnullerbacke

Schnullerbacke New Member

Photographer / Videographer
    Balance:
    369Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Once again, Rob - great work :thbup: !!!

Does your Frex wheel work properly again ?
  9. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Nice indeed Rob.

Here is my wheel that I just recently received. It was hand built by Zeljko Roso and the quality of the fit and finish is amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. danr

danr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ledfoot,
    Please provide all specs ,cost ,leadtime,quick release,contact,shipping and order info.
    Assy how to for G-25, how it works. First impression of how well it functions.
    Ready to buy if it performs as well as it looks. (awesome) I live in New Jersey USA
    Thanks
    Danr
  11. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here is a link to a video on youtube that also has his email address. I believe the cost is now 600 Euros plus shipping and it is well worth it beileve me. The quick release has zero slop and it mounts directly to the G25/27 without any additional adapter needed. It has a coiled up cord that plugs into any USB port and has an SLI Pro built in along with a slew of buttons and some rotary encoders. The lead time is about 1 month and shipping cost about $90 to Toronto, Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv ... B1eTeAB6FE

....Mike
  12. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @ Mike.....i did also consider that wheel, but then it did cost me more and i do not have a g25. Also what i understand rosso uses a cable no quickrelease. Nevertheless, its still the most amazing wheel i have everseen thats homebuild! Thanks for sharing!

@ Chris.....Yes finally after much pain it works properly again. It was a bearing and new adjusting that did the job :)

@ danr...what i understood its only 500 euro or so...thats a bargain for such a wheel to be honest. Edit: Mike beat me with posting! Lol

Regards,

Rob
  13. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey Rob,

Great progress so far. I didn't mean to hijack your thread with pictures of my wheel :).

The initial price for the wheel was 500 Euro but I think the price has gone up slightly becuase of material cost. I have also seen pictures of the wheel with the Sparco quick release installed that has all the wires connecting through the quick release but I am certain that this option will increase the cost by a few hundred dollars.

Keep up the great work Rob..

....Mike
  14. Schnullerbacke

Balance:
    369Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mike, also thanks for sharing - that's a perfect wheel :thbup: !

You say, that there are two quickrelease models - one is the Sparco, but what's the other one ?
    My new wheel is a JL-G25 from JoLueg and I'm working on a mod with a quickrelease. I planned to mount the Sparco quickrelease, but if there is another model out there which costs less, please let me know.

I'm not building a F1 wheel (if I would like to have one, I'd rather order one from Rob *fg* :clap: !), but a Rally wheel. I think, I will mount a spiral cable / flex cord instead of laying the wires through the center of the wheel. Maybe I will have to wheels then, one deep OMP Rally wheel and another open wheel from Sparco or Momo. Let's wait and see :cheers: ! I like Rally more than driving F1 - but every now and then I give F1 a try and then I will use the open Sparco or Momo :thbup: !

See ya...
  15. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hmm... I think you really should go for the frex like quickrelease, i googled the sparco QR and its extremly pricy mainly coz its made for real race cars. The frex one is based on a simple water industry connection with a midi (musical instrument digital interface) din plug glue'd in. This will be cheap and will work great. I know this because i use this system for over 2 years now. Ofcourse the sparco is very professional and the solution i suggest needs some maintenance now and then to avoid play in the quick release. Another solution is to use a standard LAN cable female/male to use to mount unmount your wheel if you go for the solution with a wire wraped around the steering colum. (no QR) If you need any help or detailed pics, email me.

One other thing: i also use the simwheel to switch fast between sims like dirt/shift/gtre to RFActor with my gt and f1 wheel. It works great, but if you use a cable for the wheels this will be a pain and you get the risk of breaking it. On the other hand if you only use one wheel it should not be a big problem. The SLI-Pro from Leo Bodnar is great for quick release, because the board supplies all the needs for the wheel and more....

Just as a side note: the qr set from frex is complete for around 300 euro's... :thbd: this is not what i payed for it but the yen current sucks since the crisis....(and frex is way to expensive) :(

Just my opinion :brows:

:cheers:

Regards,

Rob

@ Mike, i love the looks of your wheel (as the rest of your amazing rig), if you have it running, a video would be awesome :clap:
  16. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Rob,

Your mod looks awesome. You are now making me want to install a quick release with all the cable routed through it :). I am going to get my GT wheel modded with paddles and an SLI Pro as well and will probably condiser going with the Sparco quick release.

I will have some video and full review of my rig up on my site very soon.

.....Mike
  17. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Chris,

I'm soo jealous over that wheel you have man. Nice score :)
  18. Schnullerbacke

Balance:
    369Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Mike: Thanks :hi: !

@Mike & Rob: Do you have further information on this quickrelease-like mechanism ? Maybe some specs or a website or a model name or something like that ? Okay, I could also ask Shige - but I'm not sure wether he's willing to publish his sources... ;D

If I go for a spiral cable, I would make a plug into the dash - so there wouldn't be any risk to damage it while changing the wheel... due to the fact that I'm having 2 button boxes, I don't plan to integrate MANY buttons into the wheel...
  19. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just curious...do you have a link for the sparco QR? and/or a base price? Btw: i am sure Shige will not be willing to give the sources of his creation...But i do understand why ;)

Regards

Rob
  20. Schnullerbacke

Balance:
    369Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Rob,

please take a look here: http://www.sandtler.de --> Produkte --> Lenkräder --> Snap-Off Verschlüsse !

If I won't find an alternative, I will take the Sparco - let's see ;-) !