1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial Mjoy16 USB AVR Joystick

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by tronicgr, Jan 3, 2008.

1. NuMcA_[.gr]

NuMcA_[.gr] New Member

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A1:
    There is no specific reason why you have to choose a certain controller. Use the one which fits the number of buttons you need, and leave the other one for future use.

A2:
    You can go down to even 1/8w resistors, with no worries. 1/8W is absolutely safe if you are using 5V to light some LEDs or something.. (5V@10mA = 0.05W = 1/20W)
  2. thren

thren New Member

Balance:
    390Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks NuMcA,
    A1: figured as much, and I was leaning towards the button output from the shifter as the wiring loom
    will be closer to the shifter than the peedals , (less wires to get tangled)

A2:as I said Im not great on the finer points of electronics...
    I do have a hell of alot of 1/4w resisters to choose from, left over from other projects not related to sim stuff
    so your answer has saved me a few .......cents.....I dont need to go out and buy more resistors :D
    I have in the past ( 12/24v projects) made the mistake of using resistors that were not rated to the need, hence my question.

cheers
    thanks added
  3. NuMcA_[.gr]

NuMcA_[.gr] New Member

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. thren

thren New Member

Balance:
    390Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks,
    I have a good selection of resistors/ diodes/caps/and quite a few transistors,
    (I used to make guitar pedals for enjoyment and to pay for beer)

when I say Im a hack at electronics, I mean, I just learn enough to be able to do what I have to.
    I make PCB's using a UV light box home made, and photo-resist board, not the print and iron method.

I spend up about a year ago, on components I needed or thought might come in handy
    but thanks for the link, I think I'll be buying one of those packs after I finish this project.
    to top up the toolbox.
  5. GeorgeBoles

GeorgeBoles Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -2
    This first bit I have copied from my website ( http://www.stolenantiques.bravehost.com ) :
    You will possibly or likely need (depending upon the games you want to play):
    1. Autohotkey for writing complex programs for your buttons,
    2. SVMapper, so that Windows XP and later (and earlier) can recognize all of the extra buttons that MJoy16 allows you to put onto one USB device (Windows XP only goes up to 32)
    3. Tirta, I physically joined the axes from my CHJoystick, Throttle and Pedals as follows:

a. X-Axis as X
    b. Y-Axis as Y
    c. Z-Axis is Throttle
    d. Rudder is wired up to the fourth axis on the Atmel chip (which is variously called “Xrot”, “Rx “or “Xro” depending on the software you use to read its name.)

Some links:
    This is the design of the MJoy16 which fits in the base of the CHProThrottle: mjoy16-usb-avr-joystick-t726-70.html#p15786
    How to set up PPjoy and Joyjoy to map that rudder axis: http://home.comcast.net/~zero2005/Guide/1.html
    Here is one place you can get BOTH programs PPJoy and JoyJoy: http://members.shaw.ca/coxswainballs/joy.rar

If your game supports more than one joystick, you are home and hosed and need not worry PPJoy and MJoy as described in the next section.

Background information about Red Baron –
    You will need PPJoy and PPJoyjoy if you want MJoy16 to work with Red Baron 3D. Note especially that PPJoy on its own is NOT satisfactory: you need the JoyJoy bit as well. I was really worried that this would be the end of Red Baron as PPJoy would not work after Windows XP, but the bloke who designed it has started again. We should support him with money or a post card if we use his program.
    Red Baron does not have a mapping facility for any of its functions. That must be done externally. (I used to map the buttons using the software that came with my CH Gameport controllers.) I am doing it now with SVMapper or Autohotkey. If I make another MJoy modification, I THINK that I will either wire all of the controllers to a central “box” which contains the Mjoy board OR I will put an Mjoy (of some description – see Sokol’s list of many possiblities) into EACH part of the system: one for Throttle, one for Stick, and one for Pedals.

(I was a bit disappointed because despite all my expectations and complex things I did with my wiring and planning as I made my MJoy for my CH gear, Red Baron3d still would not read the rudder directly from Mjoy16. It requires the Joystick Mixing function of these two wonderful programs. However, alternative MJoys, e.gl MJoy8 may not need these if it is configured to use only 4 axes Thankfully PPJoy and JoyJoy are now made suitable for Vista and I presume also for Windows 7. Sokol has supplied the links earlier in this thread.)

DIView and similar programs:
    I cannot get DX Tweak or DX Tweak 2 to work with Mjoy16, and I think that DIView doesn’t work for some of the axes either.

I hope this helps answer some of the questions which have not been answered recently.

It is good to see Mjoy and its cousins still good and popular.

Regards,
    George
  6. Breytie

Breytie New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Guys
    It is good to see Mjoy16 getting the attention it deserves with to many people (re)developing PCBs and other hardware.
    I was about to have a PCB made from one of the original layouts. Now I am even more confused with all the PCB layouts here with different features and different shortcomings. Is it possible to do a master list (incl links to files) with all the variations and their pros and cons?
    Thanks

Andre
  7. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I can only speak for my board. It has the full key matrix layed out for easy connections, all you need is to plug in the pots, buttons, switches and encoders in their place and that is it. If you want to retrofit an older hardware you might want to look into a smaller board where connecting the diodes and buttons can be a challenge.
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2207

If anyone is kind enough to look up the page numbers for all the different designs I am willing to make some sort of table.
  8. GeorgeBoles

GeorgeBoles Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -2
    Breytie,
    My version of the board is designed to fit in the base of a CH Pro Throttle, with pedals and CH Fighter Stick plugged into the base of the CH Pro Throttle. It offers potential for ALL of the functions of MJoy16. A picture is here: mjoy16-usb-avr-joystick-t726-70.html#p15786 and viewtopic.php?f=32&t=726&start=240&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p20023; and the board layout is at: http://www.stolenantiques.bravehost.com . Also on my website are pcb's for various boards for the the switch panels in the CH Gear.

It has worked well for me.

Regards,
    George
  9. tirta

tirta Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys,

Does mjoy16 work in win 7 64bit?
    Can somebody please confirm?
  10. Sokol1

Sokol1 Member

Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -1
    Hi Tirta, finished you Filightstick??

Yes, Mjoy/Mjoy16 work in Windows 7/64 bits - I already tested.

Sokol1
  11. tirta

tirta Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. Fransky

Fransky New Member

Stay-At-Home Parent / Plumber / Sith Lord
    Balance:
    320Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Holy Sh!t Sokol!!! You're a machine. I had no idea you had already answered (here) most of the questions I had (at SimHQ) I guess I should be a better google user.
  13. kaar3l

kaar3l New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  14. Sokol1

Sokol1 Member

Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -1
    Hi Kaar31.

I dont expect more movement in this thread :) but today to answer a Mjoy16 builder in another forum I consult some info here and find you question.

As I see in your pictures you build one Mjoy8 (ATMEGA8-16) for Mercury firmwares - not for Mindaugas/Lazy Camel ones posted in begin of this thread.

Components are placed seem OK, the only polarized is Diode (is OK) and electrolytic capacitor - these is not clear on picture.
    Your crystal is 12 mhz?

You flashed with Mercury firmwares?

I build two samples of the same layout and work OK.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9690/dscn2513s.jpg

These picture of solder side of you PCB show some potential points for short circuits, carefully check with magnificent glass.

Sokol1
  15. Repvez

Repvez New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HI evreryone!
    I'm new here.I have some question.
    Which is the latest version from the Mjoy16 all in one PCB and firmware ?
    I need every information and documentation for build.
    It is possible, it can be concluded that the 7x20 segmenses LCD panel ? Or just a separate panel on the same USB port would get the signs?
  16. Sokol1

Sokol1 Member

Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -1
    Repvez,

Firmware for Mjoy16 is only one: MJoy16-C1_SW_v1.3
    Get here: http://www.powernet.pl/~krzysiek/elektr ... mjoy16.htm

PCB layout your find many over Web - from bigs All in One PCB's to small ones with SMD components. All work in the same way, since use the same firmware.

So, use one or another layout is personal matter, according your conveniences and final use
    of Mjoy16 - if build a panel, if rewire a old gameporte HOTAS, etc.

To All in One I suggest the Frakk layout - files to make PCB posted before in this thread.

Mjoy16 is only input board (to axis, buttons), they dont work with LCD panel, to this you need a output board, like Opencockpit ones.

Sokol1
  17. Repvez

Repvez New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Sokol1!
    You are there everywhere? :)
    I saw recently more version from AIO PCB, but now just one is here. here is a version of July 2009 there are on 8th page senetor's device. Where is those version , which is use less diode on the matrix part .Frakk's design PCB I don't find anywhere.
    please link me some version from those sample .

THX!
  18. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  19. Repvez

Repvez New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes ,I saw this some months before, but i don't have lot money now. I just collecting now the datas, that if i'm ready for the construction, i can build this panel.

I watched every page this topic, but your's PCB design not find . But could, that i'm blind.
    Do you can send this AIO version with every information for me ?
  20. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0