1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question DIY MiGE DD Wheel Controller Question

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by K120_Enthusiast, Mar 24, 2023.

1. K120_Enthusiast

K120_Enthusiast Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I am currently looking to build a direct drive wheel using a small MiGE (130ST-M10010), but I don't know what controller to use, I have seen people use the SimuCUBE force feedback controller, with IONI drives, but they stopped making the FFB controller board. I've also seen people on here using an ODrive to drive hoverboard motors in their DD wheels, would the single motor 48V ODrive 3.5 from China be a good option in combination with this servo. If you have any other suggestions for a controller let me know.

Thank you in advance.
  2. RicardoPer

RicardoPer New Member

Balance:
    58Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello,
    When you choose a controller you need to be sure that it will provide enough power. With the Kt of the motor and the torque that you want to be able to deliver, you can know the current that you need from the controller. Then with the bus voltage and the resistance of the motor, you can check if you are able to achieve this current (I=U/R).
    Simply put, you just need to be sure that your controller can deliver enough current with you motor.
    Hope it can helps
  3. Rad07

Rad07 New Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the same boat, ordered a M10010 and trying my luck on this one: https://hackaday.io/project/163904-open-ffboard

Still too soon to give any feedback but their discord is very well documented, it's working with odrive, vesc and Biss-C encoder
  4. K120_Enthusiast

K120_Enthusiast Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, electrically I'm pretty sure the ODrive would be capable, my question was more on the software support side of things, sorry if I didn't make it clear in the original post.
  5. K120_Enthusiast

K120_Enthusiast Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info, it looks interesting, might just be what I need. Do keep us updated on your sim wheel.
  6. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Vnm do a board that can control the aasd driver and the mige driver !

Its competitively priced too
  7. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  8. Hoantv

Hoantv Active Member

Balance:
    981Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino
    yes. noth of them :)
  9. RicardoPer

RicardoPer New Member

Balance:
    58Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I'm having a similar issue. I have a motor, encoder and a USB controller that is provided with library. However, I currently looking for a software/library that will allow me to emulate a device controller that can be seen by the game (send the position of the motor to the game, and send the force feedback from the game to the controller).
    So far, I found the following project (https://jan-balke.com/) which is using a Odrive controller as you mentioned.
    The bad sad of this project, it is only compatible with Assetto corsa.. In fact, the force feedback is obtained through sharded memories with make it only compatible with AC.
    Please let me know if you find a better salutation that do NOT required any addition board/wiring (e.g. the Odrive that you mentioned)
  10. K120_Enthusiast

K120_Enthusiast Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I've looked into the Open FFBoard, and it looks like it's just what I need. Gonna research it further and hopefully start ordering some parts. I think I'm gonna go with the Open FFBoard and a chinese ODrive 3.5 to drive the motor.

I remember reading a discussion in Benu's thread about a direct drive wheel using a howerboard motor (https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/dd-wheel-with-hoverboard-motor.13178/), for a short while they were using an ODrive to drive the motor, I am not really sure why they stopped using it, but it's all probably in the thread. I am not really sure what you mean by USB controller, if you could clarify a bit we could help you more. Another option is to use the Open FFBoard like I'm planing to do, use it to control the ODrive that drives the motor. They are available on Tindie for a reasonable price (https://www.tindie.com/products/gigawipf/open-ffboard-stm32f407-usb-interface-only/).
  11. RicardoPer

RicardoPer New Member

Balance:
    58Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Depending on the controller, you can have different interfaces (different ways to communicate with the controller) e.g USB, CAN, SPI... Like the Odrive controller, my controller can be connected directly to the PC through the USB port. Since those controllers can be connected directly to the PC, I would like to avoid using any external part like the FFBoard. This is why I’m referring to this project (https://jan-balke.com/) where the Odrive controller is directly connected to the PC by USB (The problem is that this project only support Assetto corsa).

Was it clear enough ? Thanks in advance for your help.
  12. K120_Enthusiast

K120_Enthusiast Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for clarifying, I was under the impression that you have an intermediate board between your PC and the motor driver, like an Arduino or an STM board. If you post the model of your controller, we could see what projects might be viable. Keep in mind that it being able to connect directly to a PC does not guarantee being able to use it for a wheelbase, because there is usually some software involved that takes the force feedback information from the game and translates it for the controller to use, which might not be compatible with your controller. These are all assumptions, when you post the model number we will know for sure.
  13. RicardoPer

RicardoPer New Member

Balance:
    58Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    My controller is similar to a Odrive. If we can solve this problem for an Odrive controller, we can solve it for my controller.
    I can make it work with with Jan-Balke project (https://jan-balke.com/) but since the project is done with shared memories, it's only compatible with AC...

If we can avoid spending extra money on an additional hardware it would be nice...

Thanks in advance for your help
  14. Hoantv

Hoantv Active Member

Balance:
    981Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino
    Besides FFB controller for AC servo. I will release completed FFB driver that uses 48V and used for servo 25Nm, 23b encoder soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. K120_Enthusiast

K120_Enthusiast Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Then I recommend you check out Benu's thread (https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/dd-wheel-with-hoverboard-motor.13178/), and see how they have done it. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
  16. K120_Enthusiast

K120_Enthusiast Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Do you have a link where we could find out more information?
  17. justinwatokal

justinwatokal New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi. i dont know if this thread is still alive. i would like to know what u decided to use to drive your motor with. i own a dd build in south africa by a company called insecta tech. it looks like the arnt in bussianess anymore. My wheel consists of an stepper motor an odrive unit and an arduino micro and connects via usb. it works in most games. i was looking into changing it because it does not work in rf1 or rf2
  18. K120_Enthusiast

K120_Enthusiast Member

Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm not using anything at the moment, as the project got put on hold because I don't have the time or the money right now to build it.