1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

What kind of printer do you use?

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by bruce stephen, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Edmar Regis Góes

Edmar Regis Góes New Member

Balance:
    129Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF

I started by building a Graber I3, but it was very restricted, with 19x19x16cm.
    So I built a SmartCore XY, using practically the same parts, which jumped from 24.5x27.5x24.5(X,Y,Z), which I was very satisfied with.
    Curiosity is that I started my cockpit, then I saw some printouts, that's why I set up the printers, now I'm back to the beginning I'm trying to finish my project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2022
  2. Dropkicks17

Dropkicks17 Member

Balance:
    148Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I use a Creality Ender 3 because it was a cheap way to get into 3D printing. It works for what I've used it for so I don't think I'll need to upgrade anytime soon. I use Ultimaker Cura for a slicer.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Radje748

Radje748 Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    203Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Creality Ender 3, with Octoprint....

Great and easy to use combination.
    Slicing via Cura.
  4. Gigino83

Gigino83 Member

Balance:
    202Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I too have a very similar printer, prusa I3 pro B, I must say that it is not very fast but it prints really very well, I have modified something for example instead of the bearings I have put Teflon bushings.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2023
  5. Ben Clements

Ben Clements New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I still use my stock Creality CR10 - i've used it almost every week for 5ish years and its never missed a beat!
  6. Gigino83

Gigino83 Member

Balance:
    202Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    now I use it to make a prototype to be made in iron but I never thought it could support my 3d printed weight
  7. Daniel "Wolf"

Daniel "Wolf" From the South of Argentina

Informatics Hardware
    Balance:
    57Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    hi, friend. I just bought an Ender 3 S1 which is about to be released soon (at the moment I am preparing an exclusive site for the simulator, the pedestal with 2DOF movement, 3D printing and an electronics area. As it is commonly said "My place in the world" away from all problems (except your own of course) where you can pursue your hobby.
    I bought this printer after reading a lot, especially because it is direct extrusion and has a double Z axis. It works with the MARLIN system but I am in the process of installing Klipper, which doubles the operating speed and also greatly smoothes everything that be endings. I would say almost 100% better.
    I hope I can print many parts for the simulator and finally indulge myself (by the way, my project is for FS2020).
    You greet and we are seeing each other!
    upload_2023-8-31_23-9-11.png
  8. GRAP

GRAP New Member

Dog handler, Maitre chien
    Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ender 5 plus with direct drive and octoprint
    Saturn 2
  9. stahl2005

stahl2005 New Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    i use a 3d printer i build myself hypercube frame mercury core xy and voron style direct drive to do multi color prints love it
  10. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I had about beat my Makerbot Mini+ to death and used it for years of trouble-free printing. I am needing to print bigger things now and the Makerbot was making things difficult. I’m looking to add force feedback which needs bigger pieces than I could print.

Over on the VP Force Discord some of the guys were showing parts they printed on their Bambu Labs printers and they were stunningly good looking, clean, and showed no harmonics from print head motions while printing. After looking into them, I took the plunge.

I got the X1-C with the AMS. It’s a core X-Y style with 3 screws for build surface motion. It can print just about every filament material available. I can only compare to the Makerbot but it blows the Makerbot away and has opened up all kinds of new printing options. The Makerbot could only do PLA and was limited to 4x5x5” volume. It showed visible harmonics from the moving print head and was limited in resolution it could hit. Still very workable but limited. The Bambu has a 10x10x10” volume and has motion/vibration compensation so gives nicely smooth parts with no visible banding. And it’s very fast. Kind of amazing fast.

The AMS lets it automatically either continue printing if a spool runs out, or automatically switch filament types and/or colors. It handles retracting the last filament, feeding the new, purging the print head, and resuming printing. Not really a big deal but it opens up a whole new kind of printing - CMYK lithophanes. They are like regular lithophanes but have CMYK layers too to create full color images with amazing resolution. They take about 7-8 hours to print with around 26 filament changes but it does it all by itself.

The AMS cassette holds 4 spools of filament and you can expand to 4 AMS units for 16 spools of filament at the ready. It has RFID readers to identify the filament and automatically adjusts the print head, build surface, and box environment (fully enclosed and filtered/vented) for appropriate temperatures and conditions.

Caveats - and there are a number of them. The RFID stuff only works with their filament (but you can use other filaments). The AMS filament switching is a little wasteful but a necessary consequence of changing colors/filaments. You can print multicolor objects but the filament changes and waste can skyrocket. Customer service is rumored to not be so good but most parts are available in their store. I haven’t needed customer service so can’t say. And it’s a Chinese company with software developed in China.

But the print quality is crazy good. That's the acid test for me. Prints can have almost silk-like layer lines. Can’t comment on longevity. Also, tried a PLA-CF print and it’s beautiful but the filament is abrasive and can decrease filament handling part lives if you run a lot of it. Users have posted accessories you can print to help minimize that though.

Anyway, I looked and didn’t see mention of the Bambu so thought I'd post my experience. Still learning how to use it. Got it during black Friday sale and only have a week with it so far. Right now it’s printing a CMYK lithophane from a vacation my wife and I took some years ago. It’s amazing how well those come out. Here’s one another guy created but I printed it just to test. They are hard to photograph because they are emissive with the LED backlight but you can see the detail. When viewing in person, you don’t see the artifacts you can in a photo. In person they look almost magical. This was with the 0.4mm nozzle.

IMG_7811.jpeg
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  11. poumpouny

poumpouny Member

Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Got 2 Ender 3 with 1 working with klipper and an anycubic mono for figure printing, old but still effective