1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Resolved E-bike motors (24 v - 350W - 3000 rpm) too fast, low torque? (its less than 60 €)

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Luis Pinho, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Luis Pinho

Luis Pinho Member

Balance:
    625Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,
    after losing my battle with a column steer motor from Renault, I'm searching for an alternative at around the same price (<= 75 €).

I found some e-bike motors with the following spec:

• Type: Brushed
    • Rated voltage: 24V DC
    • Output:350W
    • Rated speed: 3000RPM
    • Rated current: 18.4A
    • Sprocket: 410-9T
    • Gear ratio: 9.7:1
    • Rotation: Reversible

upload_2023-1-27_12-49-13.png

It seems to have the correct power, but the ratio seems to be very small and the speed very high.
    Do you think it's possible to make use of this motor for a sim rig? Or the torque will be very low?

Thanks for your help and if you have any suggestions for motors at around 60 € (in Europe) I appreciate that.

Thanks,
    Luís Pinho
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    The gear ratio is not suitable imo

A guy did build a sim using them, its on here somewhere
  3. Luis Pinho

Luis Pinho Member

Balance:
    625Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I searched for e-bike but all the bike simulator rigs appeared on top :)

Not using the right keywords :(

That is my suspicion, to have this kind of rpm, with a small gear but I will try to use different keywords to find that build.

Thanks for the hint
  4. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    I use a ratio in which I get 50rpm on the output shaft
  5. Luis Pinho

Luis Pinho Member

Balance:
    625Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hi @zapata_h, thanks for answering me,

I saw your build, it has 2 massive motors, do those gear ratio slow down from 3000 rpm to 50 rpm? Do you think it's possible to adapt to a motor like these?
    Thanks again
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2023
  6. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    The rpm is reduced from 2700rpm to 50rpm on the output shaft, unfortunately that type of gearbox cannot be adapted to that engine
  7. Luis Pinho

Luis Pinho Member

Balance:
    625Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I believe you :) 2 very different motors ...

Thanks for the help
  8. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    For a first contact you can use wiper motors from a scrap yard, they must cost little money
  9. Luis Pinho

Luis Pinho Member

Balance:
    625Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    You're probably right (if you want something great, you have to pay for it), just wanted a little more punch for the buck.

Well, thanks again for your help, I will continue my search.
  10. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    Go ahead, little by little I will give shape to the project
  11. Luis Pinho

Luis Pinho Member

Balance:
    625Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you are right, I was able to find an electric wheelchair motor on amazon for 72 € each.

I will buy this model, the price difference is not that great.

To the building machine :)
  12. Arta Yasa

Arta Yasa Member

Balance:
    752Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I used that motor. Before when i first build ( other rig with arm behind the seat) the motor very strong and i play around 3hours the motor not hot. For my rig now, i thing not to much strong, i will buy gearbox for reduce to get around 60 until 80rpm

Attached Files:

13. Luis Pinho

Luis Pinho Member

Balance:
    625Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Arta Yaza for your contribution, that is great, I know a lot of stores that have these motors in stock, but since I never saw anyone using them, I thought that either people were missing them or these motors would not be able to lift the frame + driver.

Do you think you will be able to find the proper gear to fit in this motor? It has to match the shaft and the screws, right?

At this moment I'm trying to buy some wheelchair motors on amazon for under 100 €, but all I could find until now are scammers, made another try on Sunday; let's see if the motors arrive (I'm not very hopeful).

Thanks again for your feedback,
    LP
  14. Arta Yasa

Arta Yasa Member

Balance:
    752Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yes my be if u have more money u can buy the wormgear like a nmrv, i thing it posible for the shaft. But for me now i buy deffrent of gear box. ( ex cnc machine) because my hobby is recycle the ex part of machine. I try wiper motor already before i can say my rig 95%is from recycle part. I dont have to much money for buy the new one.
    This my gearbox, after i finish build and conenc to the motor i will show to you. Dot forget to remimber me for the picture

Attached Files:

15. Luis Pinho

Luis Pinho Member

Balance:
    625Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's a nice idea.

My budget is also small, so I try to recycle old parts, that's why I will build it wood, I've some from other projects. I tried to reuse some power steering motors, but all I could find in Portugal were already more expensive than what I wanted (75 € each ) and they didn't work (I tried some that fit a Renault), but some of these forum members were able to find these motors for 25 € from Toyota.

So, it depends on where you live (according to the spare parts seller, most of the parts are costing x3 ou x4 more than what they cost in 2020 due to the lack of new parts to replace broken ones), so if I was building this in 2020 I would have all the parts available at a much lower cost.

I still have an old steering wheel from Logitech driving force GT so, I'm trying to save where ever I can.

Thanks again for sharing,
    LP
  16. Luis Pinho

Luis Pinho Member

Balance:
    625Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Bought a couple of wheel chair motors that another sim racing builder used in his build...

Thanks for all the help