1. This Software is no longer supported by us. Please download the new motion control software SimTools.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  4. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  5. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New iRacing plugin needed to connect to iRacing Proxy server

Discussion in 'Force-Sender & Plugins' started by ledfoot, Apr 17, 2010.

1. leandroter7

leandroter7 Member

Balance:
    - 89Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    i agree
  2. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you guys are mistaking me for someone else here.

I'm just a user and lobbyist to get something working so that I can have all my toys working in iRacing.
  3. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sirnoname, I remember a while back that you made an offer to make plugins for hardware if someone simply sent you a sample. May I offer we loan you a sample of both the SLI-M and SLI-Pro?
  4. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Lance, I think you were mistaken for EK who is the one that writes the plugins for the SLI. I would be happy to put sirnoname in touch with EK so we can get this accomplished or maybe sirnoname can take CXC up on his offer. Either way the goal is to get and SLI plugin for x-sim and a more long term goal of getting additional data into x-sim that will motivate others to write plugins for other devices using x-sim as the proxy.
  5. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know we all want the same thing basically. But you guys are starting to go full circle now.

I've had PM's with sirnoname to try and understand what is possible. As of now x-sim only has 50% of the data available through iRacing. And, unless I am mistaken, it doesn't look like it can pull String data in it's present form. So unless sirnoname wishes to add the ability, we are up a creek without a paddle.

See my comparison with the required data in iSpeed.
    http://www.isimstation.net/files/x-sim_vs_iracing.html

Now EK has attempted a proxy that will allow the SLI-M to gets it's data from iRacing, to allow x-sim to get it's data from it and allow any other third party tool to get it's data from it as well.

So where is it more probable to get a working proxy to connect multiple tools to iRacing, x-sim or EK???

All I would like, is the ONE solution that can bridge ALL available data in iRacing with any other software/hardware we want to create after.

Not just the plugin for the SLI-M...........

:)
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Have a little patience guys.

This subject just was just brought to the attention of the X-Sim community a short while ago.

As I stated before, as a FREE option for the extraction of data from games and with a robust plugin architecture for the application of this data to nearly any hardware / software combination, X-Sim is best poised to be the proxy, not just for iRacing, but for all games. From a software architecture perspective, it also makes sense to have X-Sim be the proxy. As an example, have a look at the CPU utilization of the two screenshots and think about what's happening under the hood for second.

Of course, any thrid party is welcome to build any kind of solutions and plugins that they desire for their own purpose.

Your request has been heard and it is understood that additional data and string data would be a nice addition to X-Sim so that a wider variety of plugins can be developed. X-Sim has always risen to every challenge that it has encountered and always provdes the best end result for the community at large. I'm confident that this will continue to be the case. However, X-Sim is not developed on demand. No amount of squaking or lobbying as you call it will cause the desired result to be delivered any quicker. SirNoName develops the software not for a living, but as a hobby. Hobbies are supposed to be fun :)
  7. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion this should be a concern for those with financial interest in the subject. SirNoName provides support, documentation and resources to those who wish to write a plugin for a specific product.
    It is the seller and financial beneficiary who needs to address compatibility issues with their product, and it would be very easy for them to write the plugin. In fact, they only have to modify their existing software to get it working. If they decide not to give support for those who need to use a different software for a simulator, I guess that is their choice.

You would LOAN him a sample? Dude...SERIOUSLY?! :?
    I assume you have no idea about the amount of work and time involved in reverse engineering a communication protocol at this level and getting it to work.
    Even if the protocol is known and well documented it takes a fair amount of time to do it, but that is not the case ATM.
    Now, taking an educated guess and multiplying time with the average wage of a programmer, you will realize the value of a plugin like this.

Consider the fact that SirNoName has a living to make and still provides an outstanding tool to the community for absolutely free, and still improving it constantly.
    There should be much respect and appreciation in all this hard work. I find asking to return a sample after all that hard work rather inappropriate and disrespectful.

As you probably have possible financial benefits in the plugin and developments, it would be a lot smarter to support the community instead of outsourcing them for free work.
    I'm just saying...

Mike, I think you as a valued customer of EK and Leo, should bring this issue to them and perhaps refer to this topic. Maybe it will start something for the good! :cheers: :thbup:

-Adam
  8. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excuse me?!?! I was referring to an offer he made a while back. He alluded to a loan then, so I was simply repeating that offer. WHAT IS THE HARM IN THAT? I really don't understand how that was disrespecting him as you say.

I'm starting to see the trend here. Commercial projects are not welcome here it seems. I've seen others summarily dismissed here for little more than trying to get their hardware or software to work with x-sim or even making some money from their hard work. I'm no the smartest person here (or a programmer as you point out) but I can see the writing on the wall.

I have tried to participate and give back to the community (via knowledge, motion profiles, and a recent major overhaul for the wiki I was about to do), but I guess it's not enough.
  9. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I really don't want to hijack this topic so I will keep it short.

You are completely missing my point here and I won't get into a debate where my points are misunderstood or ignored.

About commercial projects on the forum:
    They are more than welcome. Please share your commercial project so we can all be excited about it and let you know what we think! :clap: :cheers: :highfive:

On the other hand:
    Commercial projects that exploit the free nature of X-Sim and the contribution of the community to use these in their best financial interest (and not the interest of both sides), are not welcome in my point of view. I am only speaking for myself but I think many will agree.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that is the case here. I have just seen this too many times to recognize familiar patterns.

This is all I will say here and look forward to solutions to the original topic of discussion.
  10. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :clap:
    Alrighty then,

I don't even use motion, so trying to increase the awareness and usefulness of x-sim is meaningless then. I will just go back to freeloading as a user.

Thanks for the wake-up. :D
  11. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    LOL. A little touchy are we? I never said that promoting X-Sim was useless, simply that your request has been heard and that as with all projects, there are many demands on the developers time. As I stated in my post, have some patience, it is likely that your request will become a reality. I seems to me that the continued bombardment of posts on the subject doesn't serve a purpose beyond the initial communication of the need, which again, is understood :)

I of all people, have an interest in seeing X-Sim communicate with as many devices as possible! That being said, I also have an interest in ensuring that it is done properly. In the mad rush to a solution, you guys are simply grasping at any remote possibility no matter how inefficient the end-result. I'm just asking for a little patience and time so that the end result can be optimal, not rushed. I am further illustrating that the development team here is not able to be pushed, lobbied or other wise manipulated into a foolish decision. The appropriate amount of time will be taken, the problem will be analyzed and a course of action will be chosen. Continued lobbying beyond the intial communication isn't going to get you anywhere any faster.

If there is anywhere that lobbying may be actually needed, maybe it is with iRacing themselves. Although I suspect that would be beating a dead horse as well. They too have acknolwedged the need for change.
  12. johnr

johnr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it seems like X-Sim is already the proxy. It is not clear why another one is needed.

What is the application license of X-Sim? It is not easily found on the Web site. Maybe that is why others are re-inventing the wheel.
  13. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
  14. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Others are re-inventing the wheel because they want to have it their own. The problem with X-Sim is that you cannot make money off it, so a more profitable wheel needs to be re-invented.

- I guess...