1. This Software is no longer supported by us. Please download the new motion control software SimTools.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  4. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  5. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

New iRacing plugin needed to connect to iRacing Proxy server

Discussion in 'Force-Sender & Plugins' started by ledfoot, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well EK has released the first Alpha version of the iRacing proxy server .

http://www.eksimracing.com/forum/index. ... en#msg2878

This proxy server will allow up to 50 applications to connect to iRacing which gets around the natice iRacing API limit of one connection. In order to use the proxy server, all applicaitons must modify their plugins to connect to the proxy instead of directly to the iRacing API. EK says that this is something that can be done very easily.

I have had a discussion with sirnoname about this and he said that he is not going to make any changes to the existing plugin himself but the informaiton provided in the free open plugin interface will allow any developer to create the plugin. Sirnoname said that he will provide guidance where necessary to get this accomplished.

Is there anyone willing to take on this project?
  2. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Too bad we can't just get the source code of the existing iRacing plugin and modify it for the new connection parameters. :sos:

We have to fly through hoops of fire, circumvent the bearded lady to find the instructions how to, and convince a magician that this is worth their time. :yippiee:

I've been trying, with my limited talents, to promote x-sim, but I feel like a bumper car, everytime I can work up a little bit of momentum in one direction, I get thrown into another. And I'm not even a user of motion, but just like the whole package. Maybe time to find a new ride. lol :? :cheers:
  3. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for providing the plugin source code sirnoname. Now all we need is someone to modify it to talk to the proxy service :)
  4. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello Sirnoname,

Please provide me with a copy of the source code for the plugin. I have 2 developers that are willing to take a look at making the necessary changes to support the iRacing proxy.

Thanks
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Is this because there is a new plugin coming? I think X-Sim should be the proxy, not some other software that could become commercial later, or may already be.
  6. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I see the iRacing proxy as a short term solution as I believe that iRacing should be the ones to fix this issue and they most likely will eventually do so.
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    :) It's not broken. They would have had to do this intentionally. I've built quite a few API's. I haven't thoroughly examined theirs but I cant think of a way that this happens without intentional effort.

Whatever their reasoning is, I'm not as confident as you that it's a short term matter, meaning I'm not so comfortable basing X-Sim's ability to get iRacing data off of a commercial API.

Be patient :) As a community, we can solve this issue far more intelligently than a third party API.

There are alot of opportunities that are being overlooked in this mad rush to solve the problem.
  8. leandroter7

leandroter7 Member

Balance:
    - 89Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    Please Srnoname, clear this issue for us!!!!! You are our hope!!!!! We trust you!! I believe you can do this spend some minuts of your day. Save us modding Iracing Plug in for us

Leandro Tercette
  9. leandroter7

leandroter7 Member

Balance:
    - 89Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    Sir, i can open an account on iracing to you, can i do this?????
  10. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi Leandro,

I have someone looking at this already. I will contact sirnoname if I need any additional information. I'll keep you posted.
  11. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

X-Sim runs on games that are commercial software, so I don't see the problem of a commercial proxy API to get data from. If I so choose to use one in order to get my gear working.

Regardless, from the readme of the proxy iRacing Proxy Server is in freeware, Copyright ©2009 by EK. So it's not commercial yet. :)

I've been slowly pushing here and there for a year to get any headway done in order to use my multiple gadgets with iRacing, trying from all angles and different devs of the said gadgets. So I wouldn't say this is a mad rush. :rofl:

I still believed, like you, that x-sim could have been this proxy server level. But unfortunately, no-one that is able to do it is willing to do it. Every dev of all gadgets are all pulling the covers towards themselves. :? I am very grateful with the headway that has been made in the last couple of weeks from those that can. There is some movement in the right direction.

Lobbying is hard work. :yes:
  12. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    EK modified the x-sim plugin and sent me a copy today. At first it did not work at all and just caused the X-sim sender to crash when you selected the plugin. I sent a copy of it to sirnoname along with the source code and he corrected the minor issue and it no longer crashes the sender. Now when I run the plugin it connects to the iRacing proxy but some of the effect values are no longer correct. For instance, the bumps and curb effects are correct but the acceleration, braking and lateral movements are not. I have asked sirnoname if he has any insight as to what is wrong and hopefully have will be able to point us in the right direction. I am assuming that the memory location that the plugin is looking at may have changed when connected to the proxy compared to being directly connected to the iRacing API but that is just a guess on my part :).
  13. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whenever you are willing to have another tester, I'd like to test the Gauges part through x-sim.

Cheers,
  14. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    There is another intreresting issue that will need to be considered in the proxy:

When the proxy subscribes to the API, it must specify a data rate from 60hz to 360Hz. The proxy must be fast enough to process the data at whatever rate is subscribes to the data at, otherwise a buffer will begin filling, and eventually overflow. No error will be generated when the buffer overflows. The iRacing API will simply wait for the buffer to have room again and will begin populating it.

In the case of a motion simulator, 60Hz is too slow to get the granularity that we desire, yet if we subscribe at a rate that is too fast for the proxy to handle, we will get noticable lag and delays due to the buffered data, or full buffer scenario where no current data is making it through to the actuators.

I'm not casting stones, but it is definitely important to consider this when developing an API proxy.
  15. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  16. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Lance,

I did not get a chance to capture the data but this is exactly what I am noticing as well. It would be helpful if EK and sirnoname can get in contact with each other and work together to sort this out.
  17. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The reason for the proxy is exactly to provide all info available in iRacing and allow each tool to pull whatever info they need from it.

I initially wanted all this to come from x-sim, but it didn't sound like there was any interest to get this done.

Of course, this proxy will cover these requirements. X-Sim doesn't need this info to work, iSpeed does, and whatever else someone wants to invent might need other info.

The steering display(SLI-M and others) don't need the track name info either. So could work with x-sim directly.

The proxy is for the bigger picture requirements for other tools that could be created.

Unless I misunderstand your worries?

Cheers,
  18. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Our interest is simply to have multiple tools working with iRacing. :)
  19. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi sirnoname,

In the short term can you and Lance work together to develop an SLI plugin that works with x-sim?
  20. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that would be fantastic!