1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

100mm or 150mm SCN5?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by bleco, Apr 17, 2010.

1. bleco

bleco Member Gold Contributor

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am hesitating between ordering 2x 100 or 150mm scn5... Pretty much all videos I saw doesn't specify the actuators type...

I think I could be satisfied with a pair of these... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzWs6kiB6_s&feature=related

Did someone here compared both?

Is the feeling/realism really better with 150mm? Weight isn't an issue and I have enouph space to optimize actuators angles if I go witrh 150mm...

But what are the pros and cons of 100mm vs 150mm besides price, weight capacity?

Is 100mm enouph to simulate the torque of really powerfull race cars?

Thx!

Bleco
  2. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Re: Are these 100mm or 150mm SCN5?

Frex uses 100mm actuators.

100mm actuators will work just fine but you will have more flexibility with the 150mm actuators when it comes to creating profiles with a lot effects.
  3. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Any video comparing them ?

Bleco
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Google? Youtube?
  5. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

@Ledfoot: Thx for your reply!
    So I am presuming that most people with 2dof simulator uses 100mm actuators ... Frex is a popular choice... But I am still not sure if I go with 100 or 150 ... I am trying to build my simulator with less possible costs but I don't want to regret it 2 weeks after ...

@Frakk: I must have seen all possible videos of motion sims found on the internet! ... But I never found one comparing both actuators on a racing simulator ...
    Thx anyway ...

Bleco
  6. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Are you really looking for a side by side comparison of two exact same simulators, one with 100mm and the other with 150mm actuators?
    It doesn't exist I guess.

It comes down to what you want to achieve and what geometry your seat will have. Which one is better? It depends. Obviously the 150mm can be made into 100mm by limiting it, but does the extra travel worth the money? Do you even need the extra travel? Can you achieve the same motion with only 100mm in your geometry?

Is 100mm enouph to simulate the torque of really powerfull race cars?

Define simulate. You can simulate anything, but to what level? You will never be able to simulate the torque of a really powerful race car in your living room. Just not going to happen while we are alive. You can only get closer to it.

I guess my point is that your questions are too general and there is no direct answer. It looks like you are just trying to advertise the frex system.
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

I have done this comparison.

One of the most challenging aspects of motion simulation is the mixing of effects over a limited stroke. Common effects are:

-Lateral G's
    -Longitudal G's
    -Yaw
    -Pitch
    -Roll
    -Car Velocity X
    -Car Velocity Y
    -Car Velocity Z

etc...

Having a longer stroke to mix the effects across results in improved motion quality. Most people used the 100mm because thats what Frex used and they didn't know they had an alternative. Having tested both the 100mm, 150mm and a variety of other solutions, I can say with absolute certainty that the 150mm provides a more realistic feel and more granular movements when used with proper actuator angles.

Tip: There are several posts in these forums about actuator angles. The idea is not to get more movement due to the increased stroke. The idea is to increase the actuator angle so the the range of movement is only a little more than a 100mm would be. The result is more granular and precise movements because you are dividing the effects over a greater stroke length.
  8. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

@Bernard ... Thx again for your opinion and point of vue :thbup: That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for (experience, opinion, facts ...)

Very helpfull like usual ...

@Frakk: ... just forget this topic :yes:

Bleco (Frex representant) :mugger:
  9. leandroter7

leandroter7 Member

Balance:
    - 89Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    I have 2 rigs, one was made using 100 and other 150 mm stroke, I use to prepare real pilots for tracks they never practice. All pilots pass me 1 reply. The moviments os the simulators are so tinny, they dont have large movements. I drove a real race car last weekend and its correct. The movments are tinny. If you want simulate real conditions, I tell you to use 100mm.

I have a costumer using a set of 100mm, his guy, run in a F3 car. I developer a profiler with him, and its is more realistic possible. Only using Lateral, vertical, longitudinal em picth., minimum moviments. I using less the 50% of all lenght of 100 mm SCN5.

Think about it, if you want fum, order a 150 or higher, if you want realistic felling(real word), go for 100.
  10. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think it really depends on what car you are trying to simulate. I highly doubt that you could simulate the g-forces of an F1 car using only 50% of the stroke of a 100mm actuator especially if you also want to simulate road surface effects, pitch, roll and realistic acceleration.
  11. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    this is a ask from the angel from the scn5 on the seat.befor i have drive with
    100mm and now with 150 mm and both simulator have the same degree for
    left right for and behind.with the 100mm is worth a littel bit faster. but with
    the 150mm hi can move more wight.
  12. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Your joking right? I've driven GT series cars and 100mm definitely isnt enough to simulate those properly (if your actuator angles are right). I havent driven an F1 car so I cannot say for certain, but I would expect a similar result.

Perhaps you are using some sort of radical actuator angles? The idea with the 150mm as I mentioned above isnt to get alot more travel, it is to get alot more precision in the movement. We increase our actuator angles which reduces the overall movement of the seat. However, in doing so, we gain a finer granularity of movement because we have more stroke in which to make a similar range of movement.
  13. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It also depends how you mount them mechanically.
  14. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    This topic is getting interresting ... it's good to have different opinions :)

Bleco
  15. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    In the first video on the top of this page the actuators are mounted at the bottom of the back seat instead of being mounted near the shoulders ... Any benefits of mounting them this way ?

Bleco
  16. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    If you like loud noises and then dead actuators, you can mount them that way. Disclaimer: if you are a very lightweight individual, then you may not get the loud noise and dead actuators until a friend who is over 220lbs visits. :lol:
  17. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Got'ya ... :D I understand now why I only found 1 video were the actuators were mounted this way ...

Bleco
  18. bleco

IT Problem Coordinator
    Balance:
    258Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Allright... finally ... I have just ordered 2x 150mm SCN5 from Mirai-Inter Tech ...

Would have liked to try them before but after watching all the videos and hearing from you guys I don't think I will be disappointed ...

Thx for all the answers! even you Frakk :lol:

Bleco