1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Printed motor cranks - anyone ever tested that?

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by MoreSine, Nov 23, 2022.

1. MoreSine

MoreSine Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Since I was let down by Xometry for my laser cut aluminium cranks (SCK's design) I was thinking of printing them just for the heck of testing my rig without additional weight (i.e. ME) to get into the process of tuning and setting everything up while waiting for the aluminium ones.

After orderings some ABS (have only been priniting PLA and TPU so far) and digging through YouTube videos about the most rigid materials and printing methods I was wondering if anyone here might have already done something similar and is even using it on the actual rig? Found 3D printed hooks on YouTube the only broke with over 300 kg of weight attached to them so I was thinking this might actually work...

Any experiences on this here?
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Its not just a constant load, it will be exposed to shocks that change all the time

By all means try it but i dont think its a long term solution
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MoreSine

Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    as I said I definitely won't be sitting on this on - it's more of a test for getting everything set up (i.e. finding the angle limits on my rig and possible problems) while waiting for the aluminium ones
  4. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I agree with @Gadget999
    but without load, it can be fine for testing purpose.

I Googled "laser cut aluminium cranks SCK's design" but didn't find anything... any link please?
  5. MoreSine

Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino