1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DD-Wheel with Hoverboard Motor

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Benu, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Vredd8978

Vredd8978 New Member

Balance:
    - 18Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    @Chris_Beeves Hey I know this a long shot. Can you send me b-g431b-esc1 firmware please? It will help me a lot..
  2. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    The fw is quite hardware specific, so the motor values need to be about the same and encoder needs to be 16000cpr exactly.
  3. Linus009

Linus009 New Member

Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I am currently working on my own wheelbase with a hoverboard motor. I ordered a 36V 10A PSU but saw now in this thread that most people only use a PSU between 12 and 24 V. Can someone explain to me why thats the case and if i can use my 36V PSU or if I need to get a different one.
  4. Vredd8978

Vredd8978 New Member

Balance:
    - 18Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    UOTE="Linus009, post: 228217, member: 44412"]Hello, I am currently working on my own wheelbase with a hoverboard motor. I ordered a 36V 10A PSU but saw now in this thread that most people only use a PSU between 12 and 24 V. Can someone explain to me why thats the case and if i can use my 36V PSU or if I need to get a different one.[/QUOTE]
    I am novice at these things but maybe others will correct me. You need your motor to have low rpm but high torque to use it as a sim wheel. So when voltage is 12 v , you get an rpm of 170 or 180. For high torque you keep the voltage constant i.e 12 v but increase the current. Hence 12 volt power supply with high ampere. Maybe around 30 amps as suggested by others on this thread to get high torque the hoverboard motor is capable of.
  5. Linus009

Linus009 New Member

Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, that makes sense. Than I will go get a lower Voltage PSU. Thanks!
  6. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Yeah, since you don’t need the speed the only thing the higher voltage adds is heat.
  7. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    The torque is proportional to the current. The higher voltage is only needed for higher rpm:s (When rotating, the motor becomes a generator that generates voltage against you feeding voltage), which not the case in this kind of application. 36 v is ok if your driver board can handle the voltage.
  8. Roman Smoliakov

Roman Smoliakov New Member

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    If you plan to use 48 or 56 volt version of odrive - it is ok. If 24v version - you will need PSU with 24 v maximum.
  9. Linus009

Linus009 New Member

Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have now decided to use a 12V 30A power supply.

Now I have another question. I got an Odrive 3.5 48V clone from aliexpress and want to get it into DFU mode.
    So far I've had no success and all I got was it beeing recognized by windows and showing up as "ODRIVE 3.5 Native Interface" in the device manager but no DFU.
    There are 2 switches near the usb port as you can see in the following picture but no combination of "on" and "off" does put it into DFU mode.
    IMG20220521193428.jpg
  10. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Turn switch 1 in position opposite to what it is on picture, then reboot ODrive. Disconnect main power then connect it back. Switch takes effect on reboot time. After that it should be visible in CubeProgramer
  11. Linus009

Linus009 New Member

Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did it but its still not visible
  12. Linus009

Linus009 New Member

Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But what I just noticed is that the following entry in the device manager disapears if i reboot the odrive with the switch flipped.
    upload_2022-5-21_23-35-44.png

I dont know if thats a positiv sign but at least something is happening.
  13. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
  14. Linus009

Linus009 New Member

Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The solutions in the threads you sent did not help but because of your hint with the wrong driver I decided to try it on my laptop which is running Linux and it immediately worked.
    Thank you very much!

I sent you my device-ID by email and it would be great if you would send me the corresponding serial-key.
  15. felixnelsonsr

felixnelsonsr New Member

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    First of all I apologize for my bad English Let's start with this Right now i'm using arduino FFB wheel with Wheelconfig (the one that made by AI wave) And from reading a lot of forum about making DIY wheel using hover board motor i see a lot of people using Odrive as a driver But it's kinda hard to get one here in south east asia so i just search for brushless motor driver that support hall effect sensor and i found this (picture below) It's can be controlled by PWM + DIR and in the software i use (wheelconfig by aiwave) It's seem to be supported But i'm not sure if it gonna work so i'm here just to ask you guy What do you guy think do you think it's gonna work or not?

Attached Files:

16. Erdem

Erdem New Member

Balance:
    29Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can get odrive clon on aliexpress
  17. ZaQ_1

ZaQ_1 New Member

Balance:
    51Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So I decided to go with @Roman Smoliakov solution. Odrive from aliexpress is on the way.
    Now its time to chose encoder. Is there something special about indexing signal from encoder?
    Do I really need encoder with indexing signal build in?
    My idea is to just add IR gate somewhere on frame and "needle" on rotor. If it end up to thicc next step would be printing indexing mark on translusent foil. Capture4.png [​IMG]
  18. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    No. It works perfectly without index. I use one without index. You just set the wheel in center position( where center need to be), power it up and that's all. You can use any kind of switch to recenter, but I never used this functionality, because centering wheel befor powering works perfectly for me.
  19. Erik Green

Erik Green Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Without reading this entire thread and since search is tricky; is the consensus that using the Odrive is the preferred way to direct drive a hoverboard motor? I have the Nucleo / Xnucleo combo but would prefer getting my motor up and running on the path of least resistance.
  20. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I do not know about consensus. But ODrive just works. Because it requires only ODrive and encoder to work. But you can choose other solution :)