1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2000$ DIY Rotary 6-DOF Project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Yahia Emad, Jun 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Yahia Emad

Yahia Emad New Member

Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hi, so after two versions of my DIY belt drive wheel I had decided to start building a motion platform, at first I wanted to build a 2-3 DOF and then I got too excited and here I am building a 6-DOF.

I started with many designs and developed a working model to test the motor controllers and play with it a bit.

I decided to have a dropped-down CG to avoid the platform tipping over and increase stability.

The structure of the simulator is made of 1.5mm thick 60x40 and 40x40 steel tubing.

The motors are coupled with VRM30 25:1 worm gearboxes, to output around 35RPM.

The crank arms are made by welding a 6mm laser-cut sheet metal plate to a 20mm steel rod machined to fit the gearbox.

The rod links are made of 14mm threaded rods and 14mm rod end bearings.

The wheel holder is placed connecting two columns of the simulators to increase leg room and increase the stiffness of the platform.

upload_2022-6-15_15-1-11.png
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yahia Emad

Yahia Emad New Member

Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino

Heave Test
  3. Yahia Emad

Yahia Emad New Member

Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino

heave and surge test
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    how many amps / volts / watts are the motors ?

what do you use to control them ? are they servo motors ?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yahia Emad

Yahia Emad New Member

Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino

The motors stall current is 10A at 30V, they're bought used and according to my tests it should have a torque of at least 60-65N.m after the gearbox reduction.

I use SMC3 software as low level controllers to control them and have each motor coupled with an industrial potentiometer.

I used 3x 15A 24V (increased to 27.5V) SMPS.

I used 3 Cytron MDD10A drivers each for a pair of motors all enclosed in a custom sheet metal electronics box.

upload_2022-6-16_12-47-42.png
    • Like Like x 4
  6. itsumairu

itsumairu Active Member

Psychologist
    Balance:
    392Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    the control box is so neat and clean. good job! I really want to see an action video.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Yahia Emad

Yahia Emad New Member

Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks, soon I'll post a test drive video once I get simtools working with the simulator and Asseto Corsa .
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Yahia Emad

Yahia Emad New Member

Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino

Test Drive using asseto corsa and Flypt
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1