1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SimTools v3 Alpha (Questions, Answers, Fixes, Show & Tell)

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips by the Developer' started by yobuddy, Mar 17, 2022.

1. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi mate,

So I've updated and simtools is crashing...

Crashes when I click the play button before launching CM. Crashes when I click the play button while in-game...

Happens with and without the shortcut to CM.

New update crash.jpg
  2. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @yobuddy

got this .net error when renaming an axis profile

Code:
    ************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\SimTools3\Axis1\6\90\5 DOF S/S/P/R/H_AxisAssignments1.cfg'.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
       at SimTools.Frm_SimTools.‮‍‮‪‏‏‏‏‮‬‍‪‎‏‬‏‫‌‍‫‬‎‎‏‮(String , String , Boolean )
       at SimTools.Frm_SimTools.MyProfileComboBox_ClickedButton(Clicked_Button ButtonPressed, String ProfileName, String NewProfileName)
       at MyProfileComboBox.MyProfileComboBox.Button_Ok_MouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    EDIT - Probably because I used '/' in the name?
  3. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @yobuddy

been taking a look at profiles and there's something odd going on.

I copied a profile and gave it a name (2DOF Surge & Sway). Simtools is making a duplicate of the profile (with spaces removed from the name) when I switch to another profile. Occured a second time when I tried with another profile (3 DOF Pitch, Roll & Heave).

Profiles issue.jpg
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Yes, illegal chars in the name, I will need to look for, and stop this.

Could be the error for the launch also, as it may be trying to load a file with illegal chars in the name.

I'll take a look, probably just need to remove the space when copying a profile.
    Probably an easy fix.

I will take a look.
    Chat soon!
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  5. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks mate, the crash still happens without the illegal characters
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  6. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Maybe check what the last used profile is in "SimTools3\LastUsedProfile", as it will try to load this profile when launching.
    This is because of the path thou. "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\SimTools3\Axis1\6\90\5 DOF S/S/P/R/H_AxisAssignments1.cfg'."

I have found and fixed being able to type illegal chars problem, but it will take me a minute to take the 'removing space from profile names' out of the picture.
    Probably get it fixed later today thou.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Update Posted! :thumbs
    Fixed - New Plugin marker stuck On
    Fixed - Block Illegal file names
    Fixed - Profiles names can't have spaces
    (They can now have spaces in the name)
    • Like Like x 4
  8. zhai1987

zhai1987 Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor
    Brother, can I test V3? Thank you!
  9. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Did a fresh install and seems to be working now.

Just tested dash output for wind sim with the new update and I'm still having the same issue - the fans dont shut off when I pause/exit the game, or even when I stop the plugin. They keep spinning at the last speed sent. They do behave better tho when a race starts. If I exit a race the fans keep spinning, but if I restart the race the fans behave as they should when speed data is sent from dash (which didn't happen last version, they were stuck on max).
  10. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    I found an error in the replace command, but using the network plugin for testing, It looks like the output is sending what it should (at least with my settings.)
    Could you show me your dash settings, are your using the replace command?
    Anyway, I'll have a small update soon.
    Take care!
  11. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Update Posted! :thumbs
    Fixed - Dash replace rule.
    Dash code cleanup
    • Like Like x 2
  12. sardiusxu

sardiusxu New Member

Balance:
    143Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    The update is successful. However, the default skin still could not be loaded.
    The game plugins of simtools v3 didnt support as many games as v2. Wish the other game plugins (such as RBR) could be released soon.
    upload_2022-5-21_20-21-48.png
  13. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Your PC has a corrupt .net framework I'm afraid. It's why other .net apps also have problems or won't run, like SimTools v2.

There is limited plugin support right now, as we mainly want to test the software at this time for errors/bugs.
    We have 12 or so plugin for testing, any time I want to make a change, I already have 12 plugins to update.
    And we are so close to being finished, just makes sense at this time to polish off v3 and get to beta (where the api's are final) before I do any more.

I'm personalty not worried about any game being supported right now, as I'm pushing to get the software to beta at this time.

All in all, I think things are going very well and believe we are getting closer every day.
    Hang in there and take care!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. sardiusxu

sardiusxu New Member

Balance:
    143Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Thanks. Good luck buddy~
  15. ericRacer

ericRacer You get old because you stop playing ! Gold Contributor

Pilot
    Balance:
    989Coins
    Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    To begin with, I was a bit lost at first, maybe too used to Simtools V.2. There are some very nice improvements. I like that there are 3 choices of data collected, I like the new feature to adjust the min/max. I like the new design. I like the gameVibe integration and so on.
    At first I had trouble finding the plugins, personally I would have liked it to be in the menu with the interface setup.
    I would like the axis buttons to be of a different color as well as the corresponding name of these.
    Simtools V3 works very well on my computer with AC ACC and my arduino as well as my AMC thanos board. However, I don't know how to put it on pause or it won't work.

I imagine that the remote function will be added later via a plugin?
  16. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    This was done so the repo gets fully tested, but to be honest I like it. because if they are all there by default, and new ones pop-up on the server, most people won't know to go look for any new interface plugins. This way people are sorta trained to go get what they need from the repo. And you do the same thing for any plugin type.
    This is in v2 also, just so you know buddy.
    Axis plugin getting a once-over right now actually.
    Not sure what you mean by "name of these"?
    But the colors won't matter to much once I get skinning completed, as changes to the look of the gui will be fairly easy to change in the end.
    upload_2022-5-22_9-41-17.png

Linear vs. Rotational...
    upload_2022-5-22_9-41-36.png

Filters...
    upload_2022-5-22_9-41-55.png

Not perfect yet, but a lot closer for sure.
    Take care!
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. levers

levers Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    974Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    I've tried this and it now works, thanks. I'm guessing 32 bit adds resolution? I've got no idea how to implement this so I'll stick with what works for now! :)

I got notified of a new update to Simtools on launch so that works.

I found the axis assignments show the filters as black squares now until I click on one of them then the turn red with the ones being used turning orange.

The output testing still reverts back to 1a, 2a etc rather than the saved names.

I've tried changing the surge min/max to 3 rather than 2 but the reduced filtering still makes it unpleasant to use.

I guess apart from the ease of use which is obviously great for me it comes down to is the addition of crash detection worth the reduced level of smoothing? Unfortunately at the moment I can't say that it is.
  18. ericRacer

ericRacer You get old because you stop playing ! Gold Contributor

Pilot
    Balance:
    989Coins
    Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Is it possible to turn Simtools v3 off and back on when we are in game like V2 ? If yes , I don’t know how.
  19. levers

levers Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    974Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    If you hover over the game icon on the home screen where you pressed to start it will say stop and just press it. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. cong007

cong007 New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 192Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am happy to test it out