1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SimTools v3 Alpha (Questions, Answers, Fixes, Show & Tell)

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips by the Developer' started by yobuddy, Mar 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Excellent!
    Since sims are so much fun, the software should be kinda fun too I think.

w00t!

Bug! I will push a update later to see if we can squash it!

Worked for the Wii, is all I'm saying :D.
    Maybe we have it so the thumb mouse button or etc goes back to home too.
    Once we have an idea we like, we can add it to the build.

I know whats going on here, will get it fixed.

Basically, If the buttons are red they are temporarily disabled on next run.
    (so you can just test vibes with no motion or something)

If its gray (it's probably not dark enough yet) Then it means you have no interface setup for the section.
    If its white, its setup and ready to run.
    This way we can tell exactly why something may not have started just from a gui screenshot.

You can get a 4 channel amp on ebay, and 4 puck transducers all for under $125 bucks last I checked.
    And do some cool 3D vibes collisions and bumps.

Thanks, will get it fixed!

Hmm.. I know i was playing with the network one lol, think I forgot to add them.

So yea. I didn't know where to put the export function. lol
    Exporting seems like an "option" anyway lol.
    It could be tucked anywhere we want really.

Something that was not very easy with v2, was making backups.
    (Another thing I hate about typical backups, is they are always out of date when you need to use them.)
    So i thought we could fix both of these issues with v3.

Once you have a working setup goto the "options / exports" and export a Setup plugin.
    This is your backup, and can be used to completely re-setup the Current version of SimTools v3.
    Next, it takes time to configure games, so we should be able to back these up also, and now we can.
    Goto the "options / exports" and select Game Plugin, then custom plugin
    upload_2022-3-22_20-7-34.png

Notice you can add all of your motion(axis profile), Dash , vibe, and crash settings to the plugin.
    Lets export a custom game plugin now!

Ok, sweet we have both a Setup plugin and a Game plugin!
    If we now remove SimTools from our PC, and install the current version of v3, we can re-setup by simply drag- dropping the setup file into the main gui!

It will ask you to unplug you simulator and replug it in so it can correct a com port if a com port is used in your interface settings.
    Dissconnect.png

We disconnected and press next (not shown here)
    Connect.jpg

We connect it and it does this:
    Complete.jpg

SimTools restarts and everything is setup.
    Meaning all your interfaces are setup and the axis plugin are setup.
    Next we drag-drop in or game backup, and bam! lol its all setup again with all of its axis profiles.
    We just need to hit play!

Pretty cool right? Its even cooler yet, if you think about how we can create custom repos for people with the same type of sim builds, And with a few people good at configuring the plugins and loading them to the online repo, anyone building a sim like this could be up and playing in a little as 3 to 5 minutes. lol

There's more too, but I think this is probably enough to digest for now.
    Thanks for the detailed report! I really appreciate it!
    Take care!
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  2. Marc Fdx

Marc Fdx New Member

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    That is called reactivity! :thumbs
    I'm pretty sure I tried to drag the archive zip file onto the main window and it didn't work. Probably I wasn't at the home screen. Indeed backup is important, but I regularly hear people complaining about Simtools' complexity, so the possibility to share a profile will help users a lot. If this is close to nonsense for diy projects, many users have commercial products.

Other remark: it's nice that you can directly start a game from the plugin picture but... several times already I launched the game when I only wanted to open the settings, it's too easy to click a few pixels off. Maybe a confirmation dialog before launching the game? Or a redistribution of the size of the buttons on the plugin image?? :think
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Yes, we can make the play button so it has a smaller launch area.
    Like you actually have to click the white part or something.
    Let's come back to this thou when i get all the stuff that not working right fixed.
    I defiantly want to polish it correctly, and I'm kinda nip-picky lol
    So we will address this for sure as well as anything else you guys find.

Setup files loaded to a repo can be uploaded with an optional:
    - A link to the original project. (http forumlink)
    - Wiring Diagram
    - Parts List
    - Build Guide
    - Manual

There are a ton of good projects in the forums, but they can sometimes get lost in all the posts.
    This way thou, we can sort of catalog projects, and new users can simply pick a build, and have everything they need to get going in one spot.
    And when the build is done, they can use the repo to setup and simply pick a pre-setup game to play, with no settings needed.

Anyway, I think I have everything on your list fixed @Marc Fdx.
    The vibe test tunes now work without saving the settings first.
    Logging label fixed and a few other small things.

Let me know if the reg issue is still there please, its the only thing that's hard to test.
    I'll push a update shortly.
    Chat Soon!
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    As soon as my registration issues are fixed I will try some other games than LFS. (Hint hint @value1 ETS2?) lol :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. NjMotion

NjMotion Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,500Coins
    Ratings:
    +261 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    Great job @yobuddy :cheers

Thank you for letting me be part of this Alpha version.

With today's update the license error has been removed.

Hovering over the game banner accidentally opens the game or another option. I think it would be nice if instead of unlocking the menu when you put the mouse over it, you would have to click on it to make the different options appear.

I have seen errors in the compilation of the setup plugin, when installing it there are some values of the Axis and other things, I will try to do it again tomorrow and if I have the same errors I will report them here with images so that we can review them.
  6. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Thx @NjMotion, :thumbs

w00t!

This is just altering the control, should we want it to work differently.
    (Maybe a skin can have options on how the GUI works or something.)
    For now, since its working, I will try to knock out any breaking bugs first.
    But I will for sure come back and polish it up correctly in the beta stage!

Awesome, think your the first to try out the one-click-setup besides rich and I!
    Remember the axis assignments / profiles for any game plugin, get copied too, and then re-installed with a custom game plugin.
    So the setup would not have allot of axis assignments / profiles, if your were expecting to see some.
    We do need to add the global profiles to the setup files thou, and will get to this shortly.
    Chat soon,
    yobuddy
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Tim Palmgren

Tim Palmgren Maker / Motion Fanatic

IT Recruiter
    Balance:
    82Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Thanks for letting me into the Alpha, I don't have a huge amount of time testing yet but haven't run into any of the aforementioned issues on my run through thus far in the general setup, that has been relatively smooth with a Thanos AMC.

Some observations / questions on my usage thus far:

So I have configured from scratch for Dirt Rally 2, which I have an existing profile for in 2.x. As part of this setup process a note I have from a usability perspective would be a prompt on the interface screen (if you don't have an interface plugin loaded)) that directs you to the interface plugins. As I can see new users starting fresh will be faced with that blank drop down menu in the interface screen thinking ???? because it deviates from other software including Simtools 2.x in that the interfaces are already generally present as options and don't need to be installed (text on that screen to that effect is also sufficient I think).

Then moving through to install the axis plugin became more obvious, and game plugin also fairly straightforward.

I prefer the new columnar order of the axes, that part is slightly more intuitive, though it retains some of the slightly quirky UI from 2.x which makes setting it up from scratch a bit cumbersome. EG you cant type in an axis percentage. If you select the field and don't want to scroll down the drop down to 20% You cant type in "20" you tap '2' twice which is sort of bizarre. This carries over to some other things which could be streamlined, like maybe a way to apply a smoothing filter value to multiple axes at once, or again being able to type values in rather than clicking the slider across and having to pass to a second screen for every effect on every axis. Niggles mostly but, after saving I reverted to the profile and lost 60% of the smoothing settings which had to be entered one by one again which is why I think it is worth streamlining further.

The tuning screen I was having issues getting it to capture values from dirt rally 2. So I am still testing that to understand how it might differ. Again I think being able to type in the fields is essential as moving the sliders is again a bit cumbersome to set or adjust it if you just want to put in a particular value. So after inputting the values I want to test, the 'save' button is unresponsive, so unsure if that is a bug or how the changes I make in tuning centre / min max setting should be saved for posterity. It again seems like a bit of a UI oddity if it is saving under the main axis settings screen when there is a save button right there over the min / max values that doesn't seem to do anything..

So that leads me to the next question. Getting everything roughly set up I wanted to check how the 2.x tuning centre and axis values compare to 3.x? Should they be roughly in parity or is the complete ground up rebuild meaning that there isn't much relation between the two? I have 4 smoothing on heave in my old settings and 60 smoothing on heave in 3.x still feels like I'm running a shopping trolley on gravel. So just want to sanity check that there isn't a bug affecting smoothing values as they seem to be a LOT higher than I would expect VS 2.x. I do notice it subtly increasing so I know it is doing something but I have never applied this much smoothing in 2.x before so just want to make sure it is intended behaviour?

Something else which I noted is that when tuning you edit axis or min/max values after bringing motion offline, and it seems unintuitive going back to home screen to access the plugin feature each time, maybe plugin running is displayed somewhere else with that access as well that I have missed but being able to enable / disable the plugin while being inside min/max or axis values would be something else I would like to see if possible.

Overall though I am excited by the progress and simtools in my view is still the best feeling motion software out of the box. Hitting the sweet spot between granular control, stability, and ease of use. Will keep testing it and provide more notes as I get more familiar :)
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    The automatic update worked perfectly, I was given the choice to update when I started Simtools 3.

Unfortunately I am still getting the registration error.
    Click "Check License" and I get "Your Simtools Entertainment License is Valid! Thank you for your support!" But it still shows Demo.
    Click "Activate License" and it returns "Your Simtools Entertainment License has been Activated! Thank You for your Support!".
    Close that window and immediately a new window appears saying "There Seems to be a Problem with your Saved License? - 1 Please Click "Check License" on the Registration page to Correct the Problem".

I uninstalled the program and reinstalled again with the same results.
  9. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    SUCCESS!!
    Per a suggestion from @yobuddy I checked the time setting on my PC and found it to be ONE minute off.....grumble grumble. I have it set to "Set time automatically" now and all is well. The registration installed and updated from Demo to Ent.
    Thanks D
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    w00t!

There is no first run-popup screens yet.
    But there probably should be.

w00t!

This is the default ms control, and its how they decided to make it work, strange right?
    You will notice that the whole app has custom controls to correct all these issues.
    But the plugin are still using the ms common control set for now.
    But all the plugins with gui's support skinning now, and can be updated with custom controls too to fix these issues.

Typing values will be fix with custom controls above.
    Multiples at once would be tricky I think.

Note that there is a profile intensity at the bottom right of the motion section for applying a first order smoothing to all axis at once.
    Where the plugin smoothing uses 3rd order.

Click capture settings to be able to type in the fields.
    (this also enables the reset and save button)

I tuned it down allot, what you are seeing is normal.
    x2 version was way overboard i think.
    But if it needs tuned back up we can do that also.

With the game running, goto Max/Min tuning and click capture.
    Then hit reset and you will see it auto captures max/min values from the game.
    Hit save to use the new values.
    And you can do all this without stopping the game.

The game running screen is still mostly empty at this time with only basic buttons to get to each section.
    But we can fill it with common controls used or startup info etc...

:cheers
    Chat soon!
  11. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Awesome!
    I will make it so its not so picky!
    Thanks for testing everyone!!!
  12. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Bug/Error? When trying to test the gear shift sound in Vibration editor this error occurs. It locked the program up the first time but after a restart it no longer locks up the app when the error occurs.

Critical - 3/26/2022 : SuperMario audio file could not be found
  13. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    LOL, its looking for my test file.
    Please under 'Sound' de-select audio file.
    Looks like weapon flairs is like that too.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  14. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    So GameVibe has a few new tricks up its sleeve!
    You can, as always, create live sounds for any of the inputs.
    But now you can also trigger audio files!

You can trigger a audio file when an input hits 0 and/or when it hits 100%.
    So take landing gear as an example, you can create a sound for landing gear up and one for landing gear down.
    And then trigger them to play with the landing gear input. (auto de-bouncing is applied)

You can Drag-Drop mp3 audio files directly in SimTools (main gui) and then use them in game vibe!
    upload_2022-3-26_13-46-15.png
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  15. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Pushed an update with all the Dash plugins (except memory mapped).
    So dash should be fully usable now!

To assign dash vars with v3, you use the label for the entry, example shown circled in red.
    upload_2022-3-27_1-8-7.png

If little white down 'tabs' appear (you can see one on Pressure) you can select an entry to show, as the section has more than one entry.
    Hope that makes sense, chat soon!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  16. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    For a game that supports auto-profiling, you can turn it on here!
    upload_2022-3-27_1-13-51.png

And it will auto select/create a profile for the vehicle currently being used in the game.
    Chat soon!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    I like the automatic update, but is there something we can do about windows blocking it every single time?

windows security detected.jpg
  18. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Windows defender? lol
    The files are digitally signed, so once the cert has enough street cred, it should not be a problem anymore.
    With that said, I have tested AVG free and Avast Free and they are working great!
    I may have to submit the end file to get defender to chill out lol.
    but I'm updating so much right now it does not really make sense yet.
    White listing simtools in defender may be a good option too.
  19. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I did not have that issue with the update but I did have to give permission for the original install.
    I also use Windows Defender as well as MalwareBytes.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,139Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    Serial Motion Interface - Startup Output, Interface Output, Shutdown Output settings save/reload fixed.
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.