1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Extremely Specific Use DIY Rudder Pedals

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Historiker, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I am lazy, so I do not like to swap out rudder pedals for driving pedals. So I came up with this:

Taking parts from my DIY Pendular pedals (link at the bottom) I created a set of rudder pedals that work alongside my driving pedals.

The foot pedals were created on my CNC router using 33mm HDPE, the shape is so that I can comfortably rest the balls of my feet on the lower bits and then push on the upper bits for brakes.

The mechanism is pretty similar to the pendular pedals except the hall effect rotary potentiometer is used instead of a DIY magnet and IC type. I built in brake resistance using 30N/6.6lbs gas springs, the feeling is much better than low pressure spring resistance. The brake potentiometers remain the DIY magnet/IC type. I repurposed the levers from the old rudder as well.

I need to extend and sleeve the potentiometer wires but it looks pretty good overall.

The movement is precise and feels excellent. I can now switch between driving and flying without effort...I feel a bit like James Bond.
    :grin

IMG_20220310_084437422_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220310_084447770_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220310_084457143_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220310_084523737_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220310_084535277_HDR.jpg

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/diy-pendular-rudder-pedals.13130/
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Michael Mariacher

Michael Mariacher Member

Balance:
    626Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Not a bad idea at all, great implemanted. I'm lazy too, but different approach. ;)
  3. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF