1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

OpenVR-MotionCompensation

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Dschadu, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Flymen

Flymen Flymen Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Hi ,
    Try to change this value : Center of rotation ( Heave ) like -1500 to -2000 or +1500 to +2200
    Depend the game somtime is -1000 . that work for me but may be not for you !
    Good chance !
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much for the response. Please excuse my ignorance, but where is this setting located? I don't see it anywhere in OpenVR-MC or SRS, but I'm still getting used to SRS.
  3. Flymen

Flymen Flymen Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Sorry for the delay . I use FlyPT Mover
  4. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the response. If I can't get this working properly with SRS, I might give FlyPT a try. Or I will just go back to SimTools.
  5. sulfail

sulfail Member

AISLAMIENTOS Y PLADUR.
    Balance:
    199Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I do not understand, I use very basic glasses, the lenovo explorer, and never need these programs, if when the car moves a lot if the track is bumpy, but in real life your eyes also move at those speeds, even but, honestly, it seems real to me like that, without movement compensation and I never get bothered.
  6. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

Balance:
    - 26Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Same for me, but I haven't tried a flight sim in VR yet (most people I've seen here say that motion compensation is important for flight sims). I find that it feels natual for the sim to tilt side to side without any compensation but I can imagine pitch motion being an issue at high ranges of motion.
  7. janio

janio janio from brazil

state employee
    Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Dear Dschadu, I bought a wit motion tilt sensor, to send the angles to openvrmc but I found out that I can't use it with sim tools. Is there hope to implement support in the near future?
  8. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,026Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    It would need a custom driver. An example is available at https://github.com/Dschadu/motionPose You would have to adjust it to take values from your motion sensor.

I personally want to make a driver that takes values from a com port, but it is not progressing due to lack of time and programming skill. No time to dive into it.
  9. janio

janio janio from brazil

state employee
    Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    thanks for the info friend. have you used this driver you mentioned? how was the experience?
  10. Payokvati

Payokvati New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Yesterday morning i installed the openvr motioncompensation 0.3.5 with one of my indexcontrollers attached to the seat of my p3dof. I tried it in MFS2020 and everything worked perfect. Later in the evening when i was gonna play again it didnt work. As soon as the seat moves i fly around really hard in the cockpit. Like alot worse then without motioncompensation. Ive tried reinstalling steamvr, and the motioncomp but the same thing happens over and over. What could have gone wrong?
  11. Payokvati

Payokvati New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF

I got it working. It was somehow the placement of the controller. Even if it had worked earlier. I moved it upwards abit and suddenly it was working again.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wagnard

Wagnard Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,653Coins
    Ratings:
    +627 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I was wondering if there is a virtual tracker plugin/interface somewhere for simtools ? or is it planned for v3 ?
  13. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,153Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,036 / 16 / -0
    I have some test code somewhere, but we could achieve this with a SimTools v3 Addon.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. sberns

sberns Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Just tried openvrmc + SRS + witmotion tracker. Works extremely well!! One issue I’m having is trouble reading the VR menus in AMS2 because the SRS “joystick” markers are on the way in VR. Anyone know how to turn these off?
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  15. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,026Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    @Dschadu , I have constructed a tracker of my own. It is two potentiometers that measure pitch and roll of my Dofreality 2dof platform. An arduino converts the measurements to degrees, opentrack bridges between serial comms and udp, which then feeds into FlyPT Mover. FlyPT Mover then forwards the angles via MMF to OVRMC.

This gives me a stable, vibration proof and to the tenth of degree accurate reading of my pose.

My measurement output is in positive/negative degrees of roll and pitch, horizontal is 0 degrees. In Flypt Mover I can see the values arrive as intended.

The Dofreality 2dof has a single cardanic pivot point just below the seat. In OVRMC I have positioned the arrows origin (intersection) exactly in the pivot.

Two problems:
    1- Although I am feeding the pose in degrees into OVMRC, the compensation is way too big. I feel it is quite accurate when I scale down the degree values to 35%. This will compensate for roll and pitch.
    2- Although I am only feeding pitch and roll into OVRMC, I am getting a massive movement in heave influenced by the pitch value, and a massive sway depending on the roll value. I am feeding 0 heave and 0 sway to OVRMC. So I am moving violently around the cockpit in dimensions my rig is not moving in.

What is going on?
  16. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0
    Interesting that you are using opentrack to send the arduino serial data to mover via UDP. I am heading down the path of putting an encoder on my rig for the same reason as you and I just confirmed using a leonardo as a joystick emulator allows me to pull the data into mover that way. I wonder if one of these methods has lower latency.

As for the issues you are observing I am no expert but it sounds like the center of rotation is off (which was a bug for lighthouse headsets like the index). I think that is solved now, are you using an older version of OVRMC?
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Dschadu

Dschadu Active Member

Balance:
    1,933Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    I think you are on 0.3.5? Try 0.3.6. this bug should be fixed.
    No release yet, as I always forget to do so... Since months... Sorry
  18. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,026Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    What I did was just do the angle calculation (a simple multiplication) on the arduino, but other than that just blast out the raw measurements to opentrack, since it has its own filtering. I am also measuring vibration (or at least my pots are vibrating) , which needs filtering. Since OT offers filtering, I thought it might give better performance to do that on the i12900K rather than on the Atmel :) . In my joystick scripts however, I use this library for filtering, together with this library for the joystick output which works well for me. And OVRMC itself also offers some filtering (which I have pretty much reduced to a minimum right now).

Never cared about the latency of my joystick scripts. My current pose measuring script puts out 3000 frames of measurements per second when letting it run as fast as it can, so there is no discernable latency there. Usually my joystick scripts put out 30 to 50 positions per second, never tried to let them run free, probably the included filtering will slow them down quite a bit. OTOH, opentrack filtering will also induce some delay. Due to the apparent bug in OVRMC, it has been hard to judge end-to-end latency, but there appears to be some. That can also be Flyptmover, doesn't need to be Opentrack.

Best approach would be to incorporate serial communication (and maybe a filter) on the basis of this, but I have been staring at it for some time, and it is just above my paygrade. I am not an IT professional.

I am still on the current release version v0.3.5. Would appreciate a compiled version of v0.3.6.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  19. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,026Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thanks for your efforts, still on 0.3.5, a release of 0.3.6 would be appreciated!
  20. Dschadu

Dschadu Active Member

Balance:
    1,933Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 6, 2022