1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Peacemakers 6dof Unicorn Build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Peacemaker105, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Nuno lo

Nuno lo New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi peacemaker. Would mind sharing your dirt 2.0 and assetto corsa profiles on flyPT please. Cheers mate
  2. darren herd

darren herd New Member

Balance:
    - 24Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just saw on page 6 Canible smurf has put the dimensions in a PDF. Cheers smurf! Also for the 3D print file for your slides that’s great
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Peacemaker105

Peacemaker105 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Sorry guys, been a bit MIA lately. looks like you found the info needed though which is good :)
  4. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Heres a bit of an overview/teaser of the new Actuator design :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Here is the prototype top joint I might use in the final setup. Rotating universal joint inspired by PT Actuators. One at each end.

20210917_063625.jpg 20210917_063640.jpg 20210917_063618.jpg
    • Like Like x 7
  6. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    what kind of filament do you use @Peacemaker105 ?

im starting to get back to my 6dof. later ill make new actuators.. im trying to upgrade my current ones to include servo motors and thanos...

but wow.. nice work.. ur builds looking sexy..
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Cheers man! Mate, going to servo motors is the best thing you can do!! word of advice.. try get your motors from PT Actuators.. or at least the drivers.. they now offer silent type AASD which has no 10khz whine! :) You'll love the upgrade though, in general. The system is flawless! keen to see which direction you choose :)

I use PLA+. PETG would also be a good option.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    you have me excited.
    is the response of servo that good coming from sabertooth arduino?

im not sure if you are sharing your 3d print files.. :)
    will look into servos by PT actuators...i dont see them listed on their site..
    i guess i have to contact directly?
    ugh, already purchased 2x 80ST's from aliexpress..
    do u think it matters if mis matched?
  9. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,976Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Well i never did fully get the sabertooth setup fully operational but from what i can tell from my tests is its easily as responsive if not a bit more. The main benefits come from not having to have limit switches or potentiometers and belts and all that extra messy wiring which all have a good potential to fail. knowing your rig wont overshoot its limits and break stuff just keeps your mind at ease. Also having the rig auto calibrate and level your rig on every startup is great! Its just a more robust fool proof system in every way.

I have my 3d files available here for my initial design. I'll also share my new ones when I'm happy with the design and confident in it. who knows how long that may take haha. but hopefully not too much longer.. few weeks perhaps. In the process of printing all new stuff do convert all actuators and redo the frame to suit and then put it through its paces :)

I wouldn't worry about the silent AASD drivers too much, i heard he had only 80st drivers to start with. if you already have 2 of them then probably no point because you'll still hear those 2. Some people just get affected by the whine more than others. i barely notice it these days. you'd hsvr to contact him and ask.. but yeah not sure on pricing etc.. but if they're comparable price wise then sure, grab them :)
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Appreciate your reply.
    Let see how things go as I'm already in other projects not related to 6dof.. but your work and of others just keep my inspiration going!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dirkus

dirkus New Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
  12. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bobbitchin

Bobbitchin SennaMental

Balance:
    517Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Hannibal I purchased mine a while ago and got the ones you said not to get..DOH, what problems am I going to encounter, and is there a way to shield the cables myself or purchase a set of shielded cables ?
    I am about to make the frame in the next couple of weeks and have been designing mine loosely based on Peacemakers design, I am currently waiting on parts for my 3d printer before I can make the final actuators. Cheers for any help you can offer.
  14. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Am I seeing this correctly...is this a joint that can only move on one axis? Is that enough, or do you mean to make it rotatable with a center bearing at the screw-on point?
  15. Mikael12345

Mikael12345 New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 83Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi there,
    Hope you are well, just a query I’ve bought the pillow flange mount but I’m struggling to find the joint that goes into the mount and would be happy if you could help link me to helping where to find it as I know it’s a crucial point in building my 6dof.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

16. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    I think you need something more beefy than that, like this universal joint with rotation:

http://www.pt-actuator.com/products/p5/53.html
  17. Bobbitchin

Bobbitchin SennaMental

Balance:
    517Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
  18. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi
    I think you need a different bearingblock Single row bearingbllocks cant handle axial and radial forces.
    You need a doubble row angular contact bearing for it, and they sit in a FK10 /FK12 bearingblock.and bigger
    This bearing sits also on the PT actuator joints Thanos is given you
    regards Ad
  19. cjonesy85

cjonesy85 New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 152Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I've been reading up on your build, and some of the other 6DoF projects. Seriously considering doing my own. Even just got a 3D printer so I could start learning how to do the parts.

I'm trying to spec up how much I need to spend, and I what I need for the project. One thing I can't find enough info on is motor specs. I'll probably go with the Thanos controller because I'm not sure it's that much cheaper all in to do other options.

I can't find out:

Whether a Nema 34 closed loop will work well. I've seen that Thanos has tested a stepper so I guess it could work, and looks like the torque settings are high enough. I know they work differently to servos but I can't see anything that suggests it wouldn't work for a linear style actuator. Did you consider one and if you didn't go for it, how come?

I can't really figure out if a servo would also need a brake, any advice?

I think that's everything. Thanks for being so open about your build. It's awesome that you've shared files. Also sorry if some of this has been covered before, but I couldn't spot anything,

Thanks,
  20. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Steppers can be noisy and their torque drops off as speed increases. Pay the extra for the recommended servo motors, you won't be disappointed. You don't need brakes.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1