1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom DIY Stewart platform + motion sim project (Unity)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by fwald04, Sep 6, 2021.

1. fwald04

fwald04 New Member

Balance:
    60Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I watch this forum for a while now, and since I have recently finished Stewart platform (), I would like to share it with you.

I used 6 DC linear actuators with an acme screw and a potentiometric feedback in combination with a MD13S - Cytron DC motor driver. A controller is an Arduino Due which runs inverse kinematics and motion planning algorithm. Linear actuators are attached to a welded base and a platform via spherical joints. Dynamics of the designed Stewart platform is not so impressive (max. l. actuator speed is 15 mm/s without a load).

I would like to build my own motion simulator including a virtual scene. I plan to use Unity 3D to create the virtual scene with a moving body. I know I will have to solve problems regarding the virtual scene, virtual body dynamics, communication between PC and the controller, and also the implementation of the washout filter. Plus many problems which I can't see right now.

I know the Stewart platform I designed probably does not have good enough dynamic properties to serve as a realistic vehicle simulator, but I am mainly interested in how the motion simulator works and in my opinion I will learn and get the most experience by doing.

Every question, comment and advice is greatly appreciated. :thumbs

Thanks for reading!
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    are the motors 12v ? you may be able to run them 24v to speed them up
  3. fwald04

fwald04 New Member

Balance:
    60Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The motors are rated for 24 V. I have not tried to run them on a higher voltage. I do not want to burn them since I am not sure if I could repair them/get new ones easily.
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    motors can normally take quite a bit of overvoltage - overcurrent they don't like !
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fwald04

fwald04 New Member

Balance:
    60Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Update :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1