1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

G-SEAT

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by gforce, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Regarding the backlash. I really do find that you generally have quite a bit of load on the paddles so it dont matter that much. I will also have a spring/band on them for when they are reasonable unloaded by my body.

One question for you Cfisher. In regards to the Cubexx sketches. Have you done any testing with continuous rotation/torque over position? I suppose i may need to pay to have those written as i dont have the knowledge or energy myself.

Also would you mind sharing one of your sketches so i can see how you set each servo drive in Mover? Im looking at 2dof rotational actuator rig (hard to crop for each flap from first glance) or directs

Cheers!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    Are you asking if I have tried using torque mode rather than position mode for continuous rotation? I have not. I'm my mind you really want to control position. If you could control position exactly 1 to 1, then you would get the most accurate cue. Not sure how much error there would be using torque mode and yaw acceleration(maybe?) to get the desired output. Perhaps it's a very similar cue. Might be simpler code. But the beautiful position code is already there from cubexxx.

For my gseat I use the thanos control. All my positive negative paddle controls happen inside mover. I'll post the mover file here shortly.
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sorry for not being more specific. I would agree there's not much if any use on yaw. I was thinking for a head G system so you have to strain to keep the position. With some safety hard stops in place of course. And possibly for the back flaps. Id like to experiment with it.
  4. cfischer

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    I think a torque mode g helmet would definitely be the way to go. Its on the list for sure.
  5. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Any chance of grabbing that mover file?
  6. cfischer

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    Sure

Attached Files:

7. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks, appreciate it!

Sadly one of my St60's was a dud with a broken bearing. The luck!

Really should start testing first before doing these 14h rebuilds and subsequent back to where it was and waiting for RMA etc :p
  8. cfischer

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    Ouch! I wonder if it would be easier to just replace the bearing yourself.
  9. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    We'll see. Im hoping they will send me a replacement as it went from bad to worse over 5 min and has some rather large vibrations.

Since i cant actually use them now i think i will experiement with torque mode for the head G system. It honestly looks fairly simple. Ard -> pwn -> motor controller -> -10 - 10v servo motor pin 25 13. If i can get that working easily i might order a couple of 400w or something suitable.

I do have a post on it around the forum and my plans is to make one seat mover style such as this.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
  10. Krzysztof Dej

Krzysztof Dej Active Member

Balance:
    1,020Coins
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi. First, great respect :) second : what force r u using now? Heawie, sway, surge? Or u add some pich and roll. I creating my profile for now and see that roll add some heawie effects when u sway your car and also roll adds some sway effect. What's yours?
  11. cfischer

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    For the gseat I only use sway and surge. For my chassis motion I will have pitch roll yaw and heave. Details are in the mover file I posted.
  12. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Turned out to be a driver issue for my ST60 Got things up and running for but encountering some serious EMI from these two that i cant seem to shake. Buttons firing everywhere and cant play anything. Bit odd as i have a mains EMI filter. Wires are not close to anything and its all shielded. I got no issues with my 3 ST90 after fixing a ground loop. All my usb and rig are grounded. More than likely some cable finesse and no need to troubleshoot but would you mind sharing what you have set up for this?

Other than that the gearboxes are great. Quite the upgrade from the wheel chair motors id say so thanks for the recommendation
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  13. cfischer

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks but they are shielded. Turns out i need to move the main power 220v cable one meter further from the rig
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. TBH10Coy

TBH10Coy New Member

Balance:
    102Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform
    I don't suppose you'd be able to share how your rig is looking at the moment? I'm very interested to see the metal frame for the g-seat, and how compact it is to mount into a mover chassis. I've also heard hints of full 360 degree yaw...
  16. cfischer

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    Hi TBH,

Thanks for the interest. I've built a prototype that I pretty much knew I would want to rebuild. I've been slowly changing things here and there to flesh out the concept more. Time has been really tight lately. When I get a little farther along I will show my progress.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. TBH10Coy

TBH10Coy New Member

Balance:
    102Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform
    I look forward to seeing it! I was wondering how you had managed to get over the 7 channel limit of the thanos controller- can you run 2 at the same time? Your rig must be up to quite a few servo controllers by now!
    My drawings have 6 in the seat and 3 in the rig already...
  18. cfischer

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    I have 15 servos onboard and I want more. I use two thanos controls and a couple of cubexxx arduinos.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Erik Green

Erik Green Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    What is your though on the vertical position of the torso mover U-joint? Do you feel it would be more effective if positioned lower so it creates more lateral input to the hips / lower back? Or would that create a false cue by moving the hips into the thigh paddles?

Assembling
    81695 [/QUOTE]
  20. cfischer

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    I spent a bit of effort(through trial and error) to reduce any extra input into the low back for the very reason you mentioned, reduce any false cues. As I played with different positions I picked the location that felt the least wrong.
    • Like Like x 1