1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Another DD hoverboard motor SIM wheel...

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by CNCModeller, Dec 15, 2020.

1. CNCModeller

CNCModeller

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All,
    Only just getting into this SIM racing stuff.

I was attracted but the idea of force feedback and the realism that it can potentially give to the experience. Next move is a seat mover.

Wanted to have the gold plated experience but at budget price so went DIY. I'm a builder really so I'll probably spend more time building a rig than driving it!

I'm using an ODrive, hoverboard motor, EMC project Arduino control, with a custom encoder setup and hardware.

I had to machine a new shaft for the motor to allow a central feedback shaft, and room for wiring which seems to work well. There is also an integrated slip ring to allow me up to 9 buttons on the wheel, TBD.

IMG_20201214_151247.jpg

Driving experience is good as far as I can tell.

Pedals are second hand fanatec ones from a local SIM racing center that is closing down. I made my own pedal box as a temporary measure until I've got my motion rig going.

IMG-20201110-WA0005.jpeg

Looking at an Arduino based load cell brake next. And have fitted my office chair with locking casters to use as a racing seat too!

Hopefully you'll find this interesting, if you're interested in my previous mechatronics projects check out my small YouTube channel.

www.YouTube.com/CNCModellerUK

Anyway looking forward to chatting in the future.

All the best
    Barry M

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Great! you got the virus :)

next step for immersion is indeed IMO the load cell brake pedal!

can you tell us more about your slip ring?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. CNCModeller

CNCModeller

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi @RacingMat, the slip ring allows elercical connection across an infinitely rotating shaft.

This is the same as the one I'm using.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slip-Rin...-/264909769836?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

As I'm using a matrix button setup the 6 wires will give me 3x3 = 9 buttons.

It's mounted on the hollow feedback shaft that has a small hole in the side to let the wires inside and pass through to the wheel.

I'll cover it in more detail when I do some videos on the design on my YouTube channel.

Hope that helps.
    Barry M
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Good work !

How much do you estimate the wheel motor and driver have cost ?
  5. CNCModeller

CNCModeller

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The ODrive is the major cost, but they are hoping to release a single motor version soon with integrated encoder for roughly £100. My plan is to use the current double motor ODrive for my motion rig and swap in a single motor board when they are available.

The motor it's self was £20 second hand but I believe you can get them new for about £30 to £50.

However the motor has been modified. I turned the new motor shaft on my lathe myself, so it didn't cost me much, but to get someone to make one individually would not be cheap.

The encoder was £15 on Amazon. Slip ring was £20 to buy locally but can be got cheaper with longer lead times.

Hardware and raw stock materials probably £30 max. Cheaper if you buy in bulk.

Arduino was a tenner as was the EMC firmware licence.

Wheel was £30 second hand, quick release was £12. Both from eBay.

So say a £250 quid basic components, + blood sweat and tears to design and get it to work.

I'll eventually 3D print a housing, along with some of the existing custom mechanical components I've already printed.

Personally I would do this just for the engineering challenge, the fact I get a decent SIM wheel is a bonus lol.

Hope you found that interesting.

Cheers
    Barry M
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm New Member

Balance:
    291Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for posting this Barry. I've had a working Diy wheel for a few years now, using a brushed motor connected to EMC pro and Arduino. But i want to move over to brushless now.
    Can you explain how to get the O drive to talk to the Arduino? It's it as simple as connecting a wire from the pwm out from the Arduino into an input on the O drive?
  7. CNCModeller

CNCModeller

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Chris Malcolm,
    Unfortunately its not that simple... the way I've set up the ODrive is for Radio control Servo PWM input. I don't think it'll accept the industrial PWM that a Leonardo sends out.

The newer STM32 based EMC does support outputting Servo PWM, but I've had a lot of issues getting it to work with my PC/RaceRoom as RaceRoom keeps crashing with the STM32 board. Your mileage may vary.

So for my Leonardo I've created an interface board that translates the industrial PWM to Servo PWM.

You also then need to configure the ODrive for your motor and to behave like a brushed DC motor for the EMC.

Since the brushed motor driver is effectively a current based control system I've set my ODrive to Torque/Current control mode and it seems to be a good setup. Albeit I've never driven with a feedback wheel before so how do I know.

I used the hoverboard motor tutorial on the ODrive documentation site to help me configure my setup. It includes how to setup Servo input comms.

I'm going to move over to a higher fidelity interface shortly, probably using CAN to communicate with the ODrive but it'll be a while before I get there. The Wheel is working and my next step is fitting switches and paddles to the wheel, and then a load cell brake pedal.

Hope that helps, let me know how you get on!

Cheers
    Barry M
  8. Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm New Member

Balance:
    291Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks very much for the explanation Barry.
    I didn't realise there were different types of pwm. I've had to watch quite a few YouTube videos on the last few days, to try and get a better understanding of pwm now.
    Converting the pwm signal seems like the most difficult step, so I'll research that, once i understand pwm more.
  9. marccohn

marccohn New Member

Balance:
    301Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino

Barry, are you still using this setup? What voltage powersupply are you using? volts and Amps? I am currently using a hoverboard motor and a hacked version of the hoverboard control board. Works well, but has a lot of cogginess that cuts down on the realism. Do you feel cogginess with the Odrive?
  10. Leonardo Augusto

Leonardo Augusto New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor
    Amazing work you have done bro, but will you be able to share ur odrive configuration settings for the hoverboard motor?
  11. Joerg Paysen

Joerg Paysen New Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Barry, please can you tell us more about your PWM converter board?
  12. Roman Smoliakov

Roman Smoliakov New Member

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    You give me an idea with mounting on standard shaft holders and I made this :) With custom board so. It needs much less components to integrate.
    IMG_20210716_194613.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    is that a brushless controller ? what software do you use to control the wheel ?
  14. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @CNCModeller: when you inspire other people, it's the beginning of fame!
  15. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Yes. It is brushless controller developed by me https://easyeda.com/olukelo/btn8982-three-phase-controller_copy_copy. I use custom firmware for it developed from zero. But ODrive can be used as well. I have developed version of firmware for it, both for use with incremental encoder and absolute SPI encoder. Here are compatible connection schemes:
    absolute.jpg.81b6265f52c97ce95539fe20b62e9e7a.jpg connection_scheme.jpg incremental.jpg.614067eed5ac52b21784be5c867f3bff.jpg.14b6976692a1d7bb4a91f8e7ff695aa4.jpg
  16. Joerg Paysen

Joerg Paysen New Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Do you have the complete FFB part running on your controller/ODrive?
  17. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Yes. And not only single one:)
    Here is Wheel Check step log of first copy:

Here is video of another instance done by one of my frieds:

And he liked it so much that already built several copies for his friends:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    And I already built FFB joystick on my controller as well(and not only me):
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Joerg Paysen

Joerg Paysen New Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    VERY impressive!
    In the second video I cant see any encoder. Where is it installed?
    Does the FFB joystick run also on an ODrive?
  20. Roman Smoliakov

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    We managed to place encoder inside the shaft. Magnet is fixed on mooving part. It is possible to drill the shaft with simple handheld tools. Encoder pcb is ordered on JLCPCB, cut to round shape and glued with epoxy to 3d printed part. Wires are passed through the hole in the shaft.
    IMG_20210716_194801.jpg IMG_20210708_181729.jpg IMG_20210711_203222.jpg IMG_20210711_203021.jpg

Joystick is on my custom controller board. Originally I used ODrive as hardware with my custom firmware, but I did not manage to use two SPI encoders simultaneously, so I have fully working firmware for my custom board only at the moment.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1