1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Peacemakers 6dof Unicorn Build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Peacemaker105, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Peacemaker105

Peacemaker105 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,975Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Yes those Motors will work, they are the same as mine except they have a different motor shaft, so you will need different size motor coupler to suit, then the ones i used. And of course 2 more motors haha. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Another motor shaft but also another flange dimension and the the holes of the bracket have different dimensions.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,975Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    yeah wow.. what was i smoking that day haha. This is correct sorry @Randy but wont be hard to adapt for the 90st. The step files should be included i think :)
  4. djboss001

djboss001 Member

Test engineer
    Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Very impressive!
    Mrs is nice to tolerate such a setup! The heave effect must be very striking, with Dirt 2 it must be a treat !
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  5. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,975Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Little test of the new actuator with 3d printed ball nut :) Hopefully hook it up to the rig in the next week and give it a thrashing. Same overall height but with 490mm of travel instead of 350mm.. not bad.. plus twice the speed 500mm/s instead of 250mm/s

• Like Like x 9
  6. djboss001

djboss001 Member

Test engineer
    Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Be careful not to hit your head on the roof ! :D
  7. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,975Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Lucky it's at the other end of the house i guess haha. She can sleep and i can race :D Also helps that i had it half built when i met her, i think shes more glad to see it working than watching me spend hours and hours working on it instead.. and the dining table sprawled with electronics for 6 months haha. Now that i think of it.. she has been very tolerant haha.

Also yes the heave is great!! can't wait to have 50% more of it with the new design haha
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  8. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,975Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    haha, plenty of room :) if the actuator length was more I would need to redesign the base and stuff to accommodate but it's looking promising.. Now to finish off my rotatble universal joint design for the ends to accomodate the extra movement.. i think these rose joints will be close to their limits..
  9. djboss001

djboss001 Member

Test engineer
    Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    We are all lucky I think to have tolerant women ;) . Unfortunately mine is stored in the garage, waiting for a bigger house to have a dedicated room, maybe one day...:rolleyes:

I will follow this thread with interest to see your future upgrade, good luck to you!
  10. Ratface

Ratface New Member

Balance:
    - 34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Peacemaker, i take it you're using a 1610 ballscrew now, length maybe 600mm?
  11. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    That's really interesting how quiet the new Actuator is. More mm i don't know now, if i would need them. Just thinking that i would have to rebuild my whole Rack again. I'll wait and see your result. I would also be very interested if you will feel a difference in the resolution. So the small Bumps.
  12. Bobbitchin

Bobbitchin SennaMental

Balance:
    516Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Peacemaker, the post I placed about motors was removed as I have been a lurker and had not posted enough to add links :) the servo drivers are AASD-15A And I got 6 delivered DHL for $1920 :) I ordered a Thanos controller also. I have a couple of questions,

I bought a 3d printer, so I can print out my own parts. It is a Creality 10s pro, I have printed a couple of test projects with different degrees of success this week :) Being new to printing and after reading your entire build page I noticed you upgraded your printer for PETG filament. Is this what I should also use ?

I see everyone is going for 640mm ball screw and read you need to make the base bigger if you do that, is this correct ? or can I order 640mm and still use your base dimensions ?

Last but not least did you have to fit a 15 amp outlet in your games room for the rig ?

Cheers, love the build, cant wait to get moving :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Nuno lo

Nuno lo New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi chris first of great thread. Can i ask where did you purchase your universal joint from?
    With the motor coupler what was the internal dimension of it thanks in advance
  14. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,975Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Man.. sorry for the late reply. Thats an amzing price!! i fluked out when i ordered mine and the aliexpress app didn't automatically add GST so i ordered that shit and saved myself 10% haha. never happened again since unfortunately :(
    I have Polycarbonate for the final build but i hear thats a pain to work with.. but i like its strength. In the meantime i tried PETG and it still has an ever so slight warp which is so annoying because when i tighten everything down it cracked!! damn.. so back to PLA+ for prototyping. Thats what my original actuators were.. PLA+. I have bad arvo sun in summer so room reached 45C + and thats just not good for PLA. you'll get 12 months though at least, like i did :) Still strong but prints true everytime!
  15. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,975Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Just ebay man! i'm ot even sure what size it was becasue it doesnt matter.. you just have to make sure the bolt you use is the right size for it.. i think 12mm.. but dont quote me
  16. Nuno lo

Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thanks for that chris also i can see on one of you photos you have the dimensions of the base plate. Are you able to do the same for the dimensions of the cockpit frame? Also is there anywhere on this website that shows you how to tune actuators using flypt or are you able share some settings as im gonna use the same 500mm ball screw length as yours
  17. Randy

Randy Member

Re-tired
    Balance:
    449Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    The end of the of the ballscrew that is in the leg (tube ) has nothing on it to help center it ? I was think of some kind of ballend that could slip over it with a keeper that would be just smaller than the ID of the tube ?
  18. Nuno lo

Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi peacemaker can i ask a quickie.
    Attached photos what is the distance from left bracket to right side is it the same distance as side bracket to the back bracket shown in 2nd photo. TIA

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. darren herd

darren herd New Member

Balance:
    - 24Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi I'm not sure if you have seen his YouTube channel but look at the thanos controller review at 29.30mins and it has his flyPT mover dimensions which will help you with your dimensions. I think it does anyway
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Nuno lo

Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Cheers darren