1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Cousin of OSW (Open Sim Wheel)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Gadget999, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Faisal Nyan

Faisal Nyan Member

Just a Maker
    Balance:
    375Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Wait, quick question. You said I should be aiming for roughly 60-70A of amps, and that by lowering the output I could, in turn, lower the voltage and the current to safer levels. Shouldn't there be a better number(Higher than 50%), one that I can find myself of course, where the voltages are above the 6 volts you mentioned, and in turn, giving me more than 30-35 Amps, hopefully around 60-70A? You also mentioned torque is always proportional to the current, isn't this good since it'll also lower heat while giving me the right amount of torque? Or am I still giving myself a disadvantage with this beast of a 12 volt PSU by limiting its voltage lower than 12 volts?
  2. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    The 50% was just an example, you can put it on what ever you like. What i meant was that you can control the max current/max torque with it.
  3. Faisal Nyan

Faisal Nyan Member

Just a Maker
    Balance:
    375Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Can I use a OMRON E6B2-CWZ6C with 1000P/R instead of 2500P/R like you did? I can't seem to afford the 2500 one, there was a cheap listing but the seller was unresponsive.

Here's a photo: upload_2021-5-31_20-31-9.png

Attached Files:

4. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    Of course you can, that's up to you. It will give you a resolution of 0,36°.
  5. Keith

Keith Active Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hey guys I need some help. I lost all my settings in MMOS so I was in there playing with stuff. I bumped the DFU mode button and my wheel went crazy spinning and smelled a bit like burned electrical. I unplugged power as soon as I could. But now every time I plug the wheel in it instantly starts rapidly spinning. I tried resetting everything and can not fix this. Did I fry something or what? Thanks

(My1020 with stm32f407)
  6. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    what motor driver do you use ?
  7. Keith

Keith Active Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I use 3 BTS7960's. I took it all apart and ran one driver at a time. One seemed to be permanently feeding power to the motor. Another was sending horible noises to the motor and the third one sends good power for the one direction and weak power to the other. I think I will replace all 3.

For God sakes don't press the DFU mode!!!
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  8. LuisG

LuisG New Member

Balance:
    76Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Hey guys, I've been reading lots of recomendations for MY1020 and I found an used one for sale on my area.
    Is it possible to test the motor with direct power from a PC power supply? I have a beefy corsair 850W which could in theory provide 70A at 12v.
    Or could that damage the motor or PSU?
  9. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    yes, that's fine, just make sure the motor is secure before you do. start-up torque will make it do a barrel roll.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. LuisG

LuisG New Member

Balance:
    76Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Hey I read you can use STM32 or Arduino Leonardo.
    Would an arduino uno work?
    Is there any advantage for the stm32? Its roughly double the price, but its not so much money anyway. If Uno is not suitable, which should I get?
  11. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  12. LuisG

LuisG New Member

Balance:
    76Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Thanks! But why distinction on the type of DC motor? I intend to use a my1016 or some other chinese 180w motor havent decided yet.
    Is there any disadvantage with STM32F401 compared to the STM32F407 that most use? Like software compatibility ?
    Also, do I need a programmer/flasher for the STM32F401?
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  13. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Distinction because if you were using bldc or something, the extra power of the 407 is of use but otherwise 401 is fine. Pesonally, I use a diymore stm32f407vgt6 board that i got for about $12 but I use brushed dc with 3xbts drivers so I dont need it, its just what I had. Other than that, there is no real difference. You will need a ftdi serial or stlink programmer for it. both very cheap.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rodeo5150

Rodeo5150 ROOKIE BUT LEARNING FAST Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,233Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    So are you saying that with these parts right here plus an Ibt-2 20220323_165003.jpg 20220323_165013.jpg 20220323_165018.jpg 20220323_165020.jpg that I can build a DD wheel
  15. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Almost - The Arduino UNO will not work, I would personally recommend the STM32 board and EMC firmware for the wheel as it is in active development still (Search EMC Developments, Ebolz Maggy on FB). You have to pay a few $ for it but it's well worth it and the STM32 board will likely be cheaper than an Arduino Leonardo to run the old crappy outdated firmware on.

- You may find you need 2 of the IBT-2 h bridges to handle the current (Run in parallel)
    - The PPR on that encoder might not be fine enough but will be ok to start you off.

Edit - On closer inspection, is that green thing an encoder? Looks more like a small brushless motor....
  16. Rodeo5150

Balance:
    1,233Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Can you give me a wiring diagram and what provides the torque?
  17. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Ok, looking closer - The green thing is not an encoder, it's just a 360 degree Hall sensor. That will not work.
    You need a rotary encoder

So unfortunately, the only parts you have there you can use is the wheel and the motor.

If you buy the EMC firmware, it comes with full wiring diagrams but it is STM32 only, not arduino. No affiliation, I have just tried all of them and the EMC firmware is lightyears ahead of anything else out there.

Shopping list:
    Encoder
    IBT-2
    STM32 (F401C) and probably a programmer
    Power Supply (I recommend HP Server power supplies - Cheap, quiet and easy to mod)
    EMC Firmware (By donation, I think the minimum is 10 Euro)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Rodeo5150

Balance:
    1,233Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Ok thank you so you never mentioned what creates the torque though
  19. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Specifically - The IBT-2 is a H Bridge which is just a module to drive a DC motor forwards and backwards (and in this case) with a PWM and direction signal. The power supply is connected to the IBT-2 and so is the motor. The controller then sends a PWM/FFB signal to the IBT-2 to *try* to turn the motor but you have your hands on it so it does not turn, but will be felt as torque.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  20. Rodeo5150

Balance:
    1,233Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    What I'm asking is there's no gearing or anything the motor provides all the torque it's just motor to the wheel nothing in between?