1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Using electromagnetic brakes with Kangaroo/Sabertooth 2x60

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Leslie, May 4, 2021.

1. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Balance:
    225Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have any experience of using electromagnetic brakes with a kangaroo/sabertooth 2x60 combination?

I expected the 'cut power when stopped' option in the DEScribe software to actually cut the power when my actuator position was within the deadband and thereby activate the brake (in accordance with Dimension Engineering's diagram which shows how to connect an electromagnetic brake to 'other than a 2x30' motor driver). I'm not sure exactly what it does but it would appear it doesn't 'cut the power'...

DE's helpdesk have simply said 'Cut power when stopped is for systems that cannot be backdriven. It's used to save power. If your system can be backdriven, you don't want to cut power because it may then not hold position'.

I understand this, but it's precisely because my system can be backdriven that I want to apply the brake - so it will hold position using the brake without using power until another position input is requested.

Would I be able to do this with the 2x32, which appears to have a dedicated brake output?

If anyone can offer any advice or useful comment it would be much appreciated - thank you and regards
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    a brake will add a delay and lag to your movement, the motors will be continuously moving and stopping and the brake will become a problem

I suggest you program a park position so the motors switch off and the brakes activate

what type of motors do you have ? what is the power / gear ratio ?
  3. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Balance:
    225Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The motors are 24vdc Ampflow E30-400 directly driving a Mechforce 63-10-400 linear actuator from AutomationWare

Attached Files:

4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    the motor should have enough power to hold position

you could program a stop button to engage the brakes and disable the motors