1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question FX simulation help

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Sharky i, Dec 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sharky i

Sharky i New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I purchased the FX2 simulator from an arcade going out of business. Runs on custom control board currently not working. The software will only run on Windows XP with an old Dell machine. It is a very heavy duty 3 DOF hydraulic driven machine with long throw transducers mounted to the cylinders.

I am not experienced in any way with Arduino but I need a new controller and computer interface to update the PC. I plan on using It has a flight simulator platform and motion riding simulation. If somebody can point me in the right direction on what type of controller would be best, a wiring schematic and code I would be eternally grateful.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Harbour

David Harbour Member

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Motion platform
    Hi Sharky

have you tried contacting FX Simulation here in the UK, as they might have the spec of the simulator

Address:
    Front Lebanon Cupar, Fife, KY15 4EA,
    Telephone: +44(0)1334 65 75 75
    • Like Like x 1
  3. David Harbour

David Harbour Member

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Sharky

I have been looking at the manufacturers web site regarding how this simulator works, what I can gather it has a custom designed hydraulic system whether it is feasible to adapt it is another question I also noted that it requires a three phase power supply to operate / 3-phase supply of 380 - 415V at16A per phase 50Hz.

You may be flogging a dead horse, I wish you luck with this project.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sharky i

Sharky i New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have sorted the power situation. Spoke to Scotland last week Their response was It will only run on windows XP with their control Box and software. Hydraulics and mechanicals are standard. It uses a transducer to locate the position of the hydraulic cylinders And solenoid valves activate movement.
  5. David Harbour

David Harbour Member

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Sharky
    have you tried to run the system with the Windows XP computer, and did you get any results.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sharky i

Sharky i New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The old hard drive was shot I cloned it on a new solid state hard drive and was able to get the computer to boot up. I am still working on the control board. Even if I get it completely fixed it will only do the 8 rides that are pre programed. I would like to set it up to have more flexibility.
  7. David Harbour

David Harbour Member

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Do you have any documentation or Schematics for the controller and how it interfaces with the xp software and the hardware on the simulator.
  8. Sharky i

Sharky i New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a control panel layout. It is currently connected to the PC with a d9 serial port.
  9. David Harbour

David Harbour Member

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    before you try to interface an Arduino, you will need to know how the OEM controller works would the manufacture supply you with details.
  10. Sharky i

Sharky i New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The designers and builders were very hush hush on the operating systems. The system is not gonna be in commercial use. The platform Is solid and a 3-DOF . So I just need a controller that will read the input of the Hydraulic cylinder positioning sensor and activate the valves to begin with. But will later like to have it turn on the hydraulic motor which currently has a magnetic start. There are a few other added features the simulator has Like air and hot air to blow on you to help simulate movement.
  11. Virtually Here

Virtually Here New Member

Balance:
    163Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    This is a bit older thread but have you considered just replacing the hydraulics with linear actuators? Not sure how feasible that is to you but might be worth considering if every step is going to be too difficult.