1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Print quality Issues

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by wannabeaflyer2, Apr 7, 2021.

1. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Guys , had not used my 3d printer for ages , now started printing stuff again but seem to have surface finish issue i cant recall having before , can i ask you guys to take a look at these Pics to see if you can help me to identify the reason for the poor surface finish on the Bottom face of each printed item .. Typically it seems to be where i have selected Support option .
    the current reel of PLA has been on the machine for the last 6 month so maybe some degredation has occured as it was not stored with any special mthod ( just at room temperature )
    the overall look of the items seem ok but as you may see from the pics the Bottom face is very stringy /Rough and the top faces are genrally Smooth but seem disconnected from the walls as it were ?? cheers Guys

Attached Files:

2. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,453Coins
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Assuming that the stringy faces are the underside where there are snap off supports, you can often get this effect when there is too large a Z gap between the support and the print. A smaller Z distance will make the supports more difficult to remove but will give a better finish.
  3. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @GWiz hoping to take delivery of new glass bed , kinnda hope this and reseting the nozzle height again might cure this issue, my Bed like many otherts hass a slight dip in the middle so my efforts to find a sweet spot
    nozzle height wise is failing ..will keep ya posted after next lot of testing , Cheers for the tip :) was loving the eaase of part removal with the flexi magnetic bed but need to get back to good prints stage again :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Erik Middeldorp

Erik Middeldorp Member

sheet metal worker
    Balance:
    606Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I'm new at 3d printing but I've read that filament absorbs moisture, maybe that's affecting it? Drying it in the oven at low temp might help.
    Are you printing the large flat pieces on supports because your bed isn't flat?
  5. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @Erik Middeldorp the reel has been left on my machine for at least 4 +months while ive been on furlough , household heating on most of the time , but have to admit the colour of the material looks faded in comparison to what i remembered it was from new (maybe eye plaaying tricks :) or just plain desperate to find a cause, i know my bed is warped so i cant get the level correct . so i;m waiting for New Glass bed surface but will try your suggestion anyways , do you have a recommended oven setting for this process ( i got nothing to loose )
  6. Erik Middeldorp

Erik Middeldorp Member

sheet metal worker
    Balance:
    606Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I haven't tried it myself yet but this is from https://all3dp.com/2/how-to-dry-filament-pla-abs-and-nylon/

7. Virusao

Virusao New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    That impression is undoubtedly because the printing distance is not well calibrated. After so long did you calibrate the bed? I had to do it in my x1 artillery after only 1 month and now everything is perfect.
  8. Richard Eaton

Richard Eaton Member

Balance:
    33Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Keeping your filament moisture free is an absolute must, pla PETG etc are like moisture sponges, causes the filament to become brittle and when it goes through the Hotend the moisture vapourises causing uneven walls etc. However the picture looks more like under extrusion imo, try increasing the feed rate slightly.