1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6DoF peacemaker inspired build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by CStretton, Apr 7, 2021.

1. CStretton

CStretton New Member

Balance:
    112Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hello All! I'm Chris from the UK.

I have been a bit of a lurker for a while now carefully watching everyones builds and following @Peacemaker105 build decided I would try and tackle a 6DoF build myself using AASD 80ST servo motors. Progress so far has been slow and I currently have a single actuator built using a 600mm 1605 ball screw and custom 3d printed parts. I also have @Thanos servo controller and am slowly stockpiling more parts as and when funds allow....

So after many iterations this was the design...
    IMG_0406.PNG
    IMG_0405.PNG

And once mostly assembled...
    IMG_3420.jpg

I am hoping someone may be able to assist with the design of the hexapod as its not something that I'm too sure on. I did have a look at the SimCalc software but it doesn't seem to support 6DOF so I'm not sure how everyone calculates this part of the build or whether its more trial and error? Anyway any help would be much appreciated!
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Leihschirm46

Leihschirm46 New Member

IT
    Balance:
    71Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 4DOF
    WOOOW , ok, i will send you my adress :) , very nice

so there is no reducer needed ? mhh every night i think more about peacemakers build.. just my wife say nooooooo,
  3. CStretton

CStretton New Member

Balance:
    112Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My initial post was a bit lacking in detail so I thought I'd provide a bit more of a walkthrough of my actuator design from top to bottom... If anyone has any questions ask away and I am happy to provide all of the stl files although I suspect this won't be the final design.

So a rough parts list:
    • 1 x LMEK20UU flanged linear bearing
    • 600mm 1605 ballscrew and SFU nut
    • Clear PVC pipe 75mm OD 67.8mm ID
    • Shaft Coupler 19mm - 10mm (*39mm OD very important on this build as its tight!)
    • AASD15 80ST servo motor and driver
    • 5mm threaded bar
    • Carbon Tube 8mm OD 6mm ID (for guide rails they are installed over the 5mm threaded bar)
    • Carbon Tube 20mm OD 18mm ID (*I went glossy which was a mistake as the gel coat makes it that little bit too thick so had to sand it all off!)
    • 3D printing consumables + 3D printing embedded threads
    • Various fixings
    My design differs to Peacemakers in a few ways but the main differences are highlighted below:
    Top Hat - (with linear bearing)
    IMG_0407.PNG
    IMG_0408.PNG
    From the underside the 2 raised areas are sockets for the embedded nuts which the m5 threaded bar/ guide rail locate into. The PVC pipe is installed between the 2 walls and is tensioned when the guide rails are tightened.
    IMG_0409.PNG

Reception Plate -
    IMG_0410.PNG
    IMG_0411.PNG
    On the reception plate end the threaded bar passes through the two indented holes (underside) which allow for them to be tightened using nuts and tensions the guide rails and main tube.
    IMG_0412.PNG

SFU Nut to Carbon Shaft Adapter (Pink) and bumpstop (Yellow) -
    IMG_0414.PNG
    These elements have been redesigned again and again but in short the bump stop means the SFU nut doesn't jump off the ball screw (learnt this the hard way!) they also allow the main carbon shaft to be fixed (epoxy glue) to the 3d printed part without having to glue to the SFU nut itself.
    IMG_0413.PNG

Hopefully that all makes sense but if anyone wants any more detail on the elements or the actual 3d parts just let me know!
    • Like Like x 3
  4. CStretton

CStretton New Member

Balance:
    112Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
  5. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I would not be using a steel ball linear bearing with a carbon shaft as the steel balls will wear into the soft shaft. They also make allot more noise.
  6. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Have you purchased all the parts for the other actuators, as a 1610 screw would have been a better choice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CStretton

CStretton New Member

Balance:
    112Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hi @SeatTime

Not yet, I wanted to get one right before I went wholesale into the build before I spent too much money going in the wrong direction. I am still very new to this so welcome the feedback. Have you got any recommendations for a linear bearing that would be more suitable? I went the 1605 route because of other builds on here but there’s no real difference in the price point. I presume it will just offer quicker travel per revolution?
  8. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    A few (including myself) have moved to the faster 10mm pitch, as it stops long actuators motors from running out of speed, also. they are quieter as they are running slower. Igus poly bushings is what you want for this design, not steel ball linear bearings - see Peacemakers or silentchills build thread. I use linear bearings, but my actuator design is much different.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  9. CStretton

CStretton New Member

Balance:
    112Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    @SeatTime Thanks for the assistance I have ordered an igus linear bearing so will adapt the design of the top hat to accept it once it arrives. I have also found a 650mm 1610 ballscrew but not too sure if this is going to make the rig too large but the price point is right so i'll order one and reassemble this actuator and see how it progresses.

I also had a look through your build thread and am extremely impressed with your setup! Loving all the carbon! Did you build the pedal set from scratch or did you find the design somewhere?

Thanks once again for your help!
  10. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I just moulded parts from a old G27 pedal set in carbon. All the best for your build.
  11. lromaniuk

lromaniuk bny

Software Programmer
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey
    I can't see any bearing block for the ballscrew (FK12 or simillar) to hold on. If it's true all the forces coming from the screw will land on motor bearings and they are not designed to take such axial load. Also that coupler probably will get damaged when transfering such load - it's main pupose is to deminish differences in axes of rotation of motor shaft and ballscrew. Really I think you should consider adding a bearing block there.
    Good luck with your project!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. CStretton

CStretton New Member

Balance:
    112Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well spotted I have just revisited Peacemakers build and hadn't noticed the bearing installed when I was designing the reception plate! Back to the drawing board and thanks for your help!
  13. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Beware of the stroke limitations related to the leadscrew pitch...

AMC-AASD15A leadscrew-stroke limits.jpg
  14. CStretton

CStretton New Member

Balance:
    112Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Thanos I fall well within these limits anyway. With the 600mm 1605 ballscrew I have just over 450mm stroke. The 650mm 1610 should add a maximum 50mm to the stroke.
  15. CStretton

CStretton New Member

Balance:
    112Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately I've been busy at work so this dropped to the wayside for a while but now newly engineered and tested. The new version includes a IGUS bearing in the top hat, FK12 bearing in the reception plate and I am also now using a 1610 ballscrew. It is noticeably quicker than the 1605 already.

IMG_0431.PNG IMG_0430.PNG IMG_0429.PNG IMG_0428.PNG

IMG_3633.jpg IMG_3632.jpg IMG_3631.jpg IMG_3630.jpg The base is temporary just so I could test and will get replaced shortly.

Excuse the mass of work related wires in shot!
    • Like Like x 3
  16. CStretton

CStretton New Member

Balance:
    112Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

A quick clip so you can see it in action! 5 more to go and the hexapod to design and build now :sos
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Will974

Will974 Active Member

Industrial Ingeenering Teacher
    Balance:
    875Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Good job !!! Very pretty and faster ! ;)