1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Need a epoxy recommendation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Bastiuscha, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey Friends, i had an accident with my Actuators.... the Epoxy is broken. I have linear Actuators and on the upper Part, i glued my threaded rods (in a petg sleeve) with this Clue.

But sadly the glue does not seem to hold PETG and Carbon together. So i ask you for the mega Epoxy...can you guys recommend something for me?

Edit: somehow the link don't work. I used JB-Weld epoxy.
  2. Peacemaker105

Peacemaker105 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,977Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    i use some pretty hard to find shit.. its 3m scotchweld np460 because at the time it was suitable for carbon fibre but it is also good for heaps of shit like low temp and all that.. dont think you can get it anymore they have probably superseeded it with something else.. but the main issue is with scotchweld is they expect you to use a proprietry gun to squeeze the tube and a nozzle that self mixes and then comes out like a silicon gun premixed (which is cool) but the gun is like 150 usd.. you can get copies on ebay though for 1/3 of the price.. anyway.. only had 1 issue with it but that was because i didnt clean the carbon fibre resin off enough so when it let loose i had heaps of the dust on the part to show me this.. all else is tough as nails!

This is the applicator in question.... https://embossingtapesupplies.com.au/scotch-weld-epx-plus-ii-applicator.html

then you need self mixing nozzles... https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...X-Mixing-Nozzles/?N=5002385+3293121625&rt=rud
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,830Coins
    Ratings:
    +864 / 2 / -0
    PET (and thereby also PETG) is notoriously hard to glue properly by mere mortals.

There are some substances that are able to dissolve PETG and create a reliable glue connection, but I heard those are not available for purchase over the counter unless you are a trained professional working in the industry.

I have made some OK connections by roughing up the surface and then using ordinary 5 min epoxy, but I would not use those for anything that carries load. It gets worse with frequent load changes. It is only a matter of time until the epoxy will wiggle itself free from the PETG.

If you can, I would melt threaded inserts into the PETG part and then use a screwed connection.

If you come across something that holds, that would be great! Let me know how it goes.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  4. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Peacemaker105

Peacemaker105 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,977Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    haha thats great you found some scotchweld that doesnt require the applicator man!! good job :) 3m is really the pinnacle in all this stuff, to be honest lol.
  6. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,830Coins
    Ratings:
    +864 / 2 / -0
    I will also give this a try. It would allow for some elegant design simplifications if those glued connections would hold up well.
    Thanks!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Yes try it and give me please a Feedback! I would be very interested. I think with me, all Problems are solved with this Glue.
  8. Bastiuscha

Bastiuscha Active Member

Balance:
    750Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Update....i did an mistake and broke my carbonrod and my 3d printed Part....but the Glue still holds perfect. Now i can say.....USE this very nice glue. :)