1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question DIY dual GT2 belt driven FFB with an unknown 24V 6260 RPM motor

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Yahia Emad, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Yahia Emad

Yahia Emad New Member

Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hey there!

I've been researching and working on my FFB wheel which Is just a start for me into sim racing.
    I don't want to go for the commercially available gear-driven ones as they're the cheapest but not that good.
    I've been experimenting with various reduction belt systems using dual GT2 belts as they're easily available where I live, but I'm still looking into 3M belts too.

I have a 3D Printer so I'm trying to utilize it by printing the pulleys for making them cheaper and lighter (less inertia), I know that's not ideal but it's cheaper for me. The main issue for me is that I have a motor taken out of an axis on an industrial laser printer, It's rated for 24V and 6260 RPM its model number is FH6-1455, and that's about it! I do not know anything about that motor other than it took around 10amps when it stalled at 12V.

My main issue right now is I don't want to go crazy with the pulley ratio to increase the torque (I've read that I need around 200RPM on the wheel shaft) but how can I design for that rpm? The motors no-load speed is around 6260 according to the label (can't find datasheet), but if I design for that 6260 for example using a 1:30 ratio I'd get 200 rpm at the output but the pulleys and belt will reduce the max RPM of the motor so I will never get to that 200rpm? The motor shaft is 6MM and it's similar looking to the 100W MY68 and I'm not even looking for something premium out of that motor but I'd expect it to be better than a 775? I also thought about going with a 1:25 ratio or 1:20, I even assumed that the motor has like 0.1 N/M torque with a 1:25 or 1:30 ratio I'd get at least 2N.M at 200RPM but that sound too good to be true (I don't know what it's actually rated for but for the worst-case scenario).

I'm not being cheap about it but I'm trying to make it as cheap as I can just to experiment with this kind of project and have some sort of wheel for starters, maybe later I'd change to a bigger motor or better material.
    Any help and guidance regarding this are very appreciated as I've not much experience with DC motors (even though I'm a mechatronics engineer) but for most of my projects, I used Steppers which are obviously not useful for this task.

Some Pictures of my progress and the motor: DIY FFB wheel - Imgur
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    yes, 200rpm is the good speed
    but 2Nm is too weak... you need x5 to x10 more

even with belt and pulley, you won't be able to turn an unsuitable motor into a suitable motor... sorry :(