1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom ODrive Turnigy 190kv BLDC 6DOF - Here we go again

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SilentChill, Oct 12, 2019.

1. eloverphx

eloverphx Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    297Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Joyrider
    I downloaded the stl files just was hoping for a stp file for editing with out all the mesh fixing and all that crap. Thanks I also missed the uv joint stuff on the first page. Was looking for uv not uj.
  2. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Noisy indeed, but what a great performance.
    Good job (as always)!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,395Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Its fine for me very similar to the G1 and more comfortable
  4. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    After min 4, sounds like idling diesel engine :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Will974

Will974 Active Member

Industrial Ingeenering Teacher
    Balance:
    875Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Awesome job as usually !!!! Congratulation for your new actuator dude ;-)
  6. Patwo

Patwo New Member

Balance:
    98Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey Silent,

Nice new Design :) .... I did not start with all 6 actuators, my first Test Actuator works and basically works like your V1.0 version.

My biggest question would be ... did your V2.0 match up with your ideas about stability. The V1.0 version seems to work nicely in lots of videos ?!.. or was there a problem .. maybe coming up along the time used ?!

I Like the new Design ... although I have printed really tight endcaps on the spindle, so the actuator is not vibrating that much ... ?!

I guess when you put it stuck in a bearing it should be more stiff and less noise.

Looking forward to your experience and maybe some thoughts about the new V2.0 comparing it to V1.0

Cheers Patrick
  7. elboy0712

elboy0712 New Member

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Can I ask what the slicer settings you used. Infill pattern and %, layer height etc? Thanks!
  8. baykah

baykah Active Member

Balance:
    414Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I thought upgrading my actuator with something similar, but, my fear is that most vibration is comming from my cheap 1605 from china, are they really straight ?

The goal of my design is to keep compatiliby with my current actuators ... I don't have a spare motor to manufacture a 7th actuator :/ and I already have 2 spare 600mm 1605 ..

The part that link the 2 10mm rod to the red piece is missing. The rod would be 10mm x 700mm from 3d printer parts.

What do you think ?

upload_2021-1-18_16-59-19.png
  9. elboy0712

elboy0712 New Member

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  10. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,395Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    All you can do is try and see how it works :) Thats all I ever do

0.48 layer height 0.72 width and im using a 0.6 nozzle 30-50% infill depends if you can be bothered waiting the extra time for it to print
    • Like Like x 1
  11. elboy0712

elboy0712 New Member

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nevermind, only half your message was showing up on the phone. I see the fill percentage now. Thanks!!
  12. elboy0712

elboy0712 New Member

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ok last questions(I Hope!). What filament did you use? ABS, PETG, PLA, PLA+, CarbonX?

Also, watching your videos you talk a lot about the noise. Do you find it takes away from the experience? If you had it to do again would you stick with the ball-screw actuators you built or go with the AC motor style like thanos has done?
  13. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,395Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    PLAplus j used first but now use PETG dont think it really matters tbh

Its the ballscrew that makes the noise so no getting away from it but I can't hear it at all in my headphones its only when I listen back to my strea. I can hear it
  14. elboy0712

elboy0712 New Member

Balance:
    55Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nice thanks so much. Sounds like you have no regrets with your methodology vs. the other. That's comforting as this isn't a small project. You and Thanos(I've followed his work for over a decade) have both made amazing machines and offered the community amazing support from what I can see. Really happy to have found yet another talented creator to follow. /Ryan
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. MGFarao

MGFarao New Member

Balance:
    - 89Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK
    Hey SilentChill, great fan of your work! Youve given me inspiration to built a 4DOF + TL based on odrives.

Im currently running firmware 4.12. I wanted to make some modifications to it but I cant build the project (make is not recognized a a comand and it fails). I tried with your firmware + config but I couldnt get any motion out of it. Not from odrivetool, trying pos_setpoint and input_pos nor from SimTools. My output string for position control in simtools is p 0 axis.... it works with firmware 4.12 but I cant get it to move your firmware. I noticed you use an output string with an X at the beginning. What tipe of control is this? How can I get odrivetool or simtools to move my rig with your firmware? Ive watched your videos plenty of times but im sure im missing something :(

Thanks very much again for so much information, I currently live in Spain and you got me through last years lockdown ;)
  16. MGFarao

MGFarao New Member

Balance:
    - 89Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK
    I meant to say 3DOF + TL, I also left out I have 4 small shakers on my seat and a couple of fans for wind simulation. Wouldnt be posible with all the help from this forum!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,395Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi matey, I just use Mover now so no idea with simtools. All can say is copy my strings from the mover profile into simtools .
  18. MGFarao

MGFarao New Member

Balance:
    - 89Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK
    Allright, I will give Mover a chance, the only reason I havent tried it yet is because I read that there was no way of getting traction loss, it only does yaw, but im not sure that is correct.

I could always use mover for the 3DOF axis and leave the TL on simtools with the firmwsre im currently running.

Thanks for the quick reply ;)
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Tehrawk

Tehrawk New Member

Balance:
    167Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey SilentChill. I really like this design. I am currently printing out the parts in ABS, while waiting on a load of parts to come from China. Would it be possible to get the stl's for your updated stabilized actuator?

Here are some parts I was able to save some money on, if anyone else is interested.

PSU - £29.50 each. Same as the one from ebay. Just need to wait a bit longer.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824159657.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.67204c4dyxDHY1

Universal Joint - £3.65 each. Ridiculously cheap
    https://www.lrdirect.com/RTC3346-supplied-by-LRDIRECT-branded-BRITPART.html

Sleeve bearing 12x14x20 - £7.92 for 20. Igus alternative... hopefully
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1838476479.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.67204c4dyxDHY1

Rose joint £17.33. Not a huge saving, but you might as well, while waiting for everything else
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000215149171.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.88b83c00LXEzzQ&mp=1

Odrive3.6 £68.62. Massive saving, as mentioned by SilentChill already
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000756440841.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.67204c4dq0EgyP
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Randy

Randy Member

Re-tired
    Balance:
    449Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Are you selling your plans for your 6DOF ?