1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Direct drive stepper motor

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Nikiss999, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    We need some PCB first and hell lot more of software optimizations.
    Also I may be making a BLDC / Servo drive for hoverboard motors and standard miges. Hoverboard motor by itself can be priced at one third of a stepper and probably provide much better experience with the software at this early stages. It is reported to go to 12 Nm with some modifications.
  2. BBC456

BBC456 New Member

Balance:
    25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hi i'm new to here and seeing many different projects here. I'm also building a DD wheel with stepper. How does your project going? It is nice to see it seems promising. Just waiting for your success and take my money!!

Attached Files:

3. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Give me your money!!!
    P.S. thank you :cheers

No updates today, release date : to be announced

P.S. What a nice looking setup you've got yourself there :) . Did you manage to do anything with that servo driver?
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  4. BBC456

BBC456 New Member

Balance:
    25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I just look inside the driver what i can access that help me. Actually i have tried to hack inside a TB6600 driver before. Of course it fails. I can control the stall torque with pwm. But when turn by hand.....it is terrible cogging!!

After that i use 2 BTS7960 to form a double H-bridge to drive the two coils inside the motor separately. Again, it fails. and with more noisy sound when run. Just want to give up:(

Attached Files:

5. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Blown components everywhere XD

But now I say this seriously. It may be a best idea to sell all of that stuff you have and buy a hoverboard motor and encoder if you have power tools or take one of 80st mini Mige. And take Vesc and flash that modified firmware in it. Or take a t300 or make openffb motor driver if you have mad soldering skills :) and use that stepper.
    By the time my stronk boi is finished and released you'll be much happier if your time was spent driving, rather than hacking and pulling your hair out.
    And I don't think that you'll be disappointed when upgrading to stepper over logitech or thrustmaster. I have never tried driving them, except when I touched and turned logitech g29 in a tech store, but man I'm not sure if they make your whole table vibrate on the same frequency as road vibration. ( Gotta make a video on that XD )
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  6. BBC456

BBC456 New Member

Balance:
    25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    May be finally i will down select the hoverboard motor with belt drive....
  7. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Smooth Boi enters the game

smooth boi.jpg

And with it the support for 3 phase BLDC, AC Servo permanent magnet, Hoverboard, RC Drones, Mige, whatever more name you can think of brushless motors.

This is hoverboard motor btw
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. BBC456

BBC456 New Member

Balance:
    25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    It's a big big motor! Can we use a speed controller(RC stuff) and a FETs like BTS(current control) together for a hoverboard motor like yours?
  9. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Idk how rc controller would work with this, never used one before. If it uses Hall sensors then it may work. Bts can be used open loop but that's not really good. Again like stronk boi stepper driver there will be a smooth boi servo driver for this that works like your vesc and odrive. Oh yea, btw you can even take simucube and ioni to drive hoverboard if you wanna XD
  10. BBC456

BBC456 New Member

Balance:
    25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
  11. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Sure if you know how to implement it. I don't think that it will work out tho. You'll see what I mean when you open some datasheets of stepper drivers. And look at actual stepper driver circuits. I haven't tried using a stepper driver before but it'd be great if you can manage to do it :cheers
  12. BBC456

BBC456 New Member

Balance:
    25Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Or convert a signal to a dual H-bridge.:think
  13. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Good thinking:nerd
  14. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    If anyone ever wondered how would force feedback look on graphs here's a nice representation

MMOS will be tested as well against OpenFFB. This one might get very interesting :grin
  15. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Migeeeeeeee is here!!!

This project should be changed to both steppers and servo now :)

Testing was done on 150 Watts 48 V supply, trimmed to 38 V. Strength in Nm should be between 10 and 15, but this is just a guess. Motor is Large Mige 130st-M15015 with 2500 ppr / 10000 cpr encoder.

Didn't reveal stepper electronics yet, but you can see the driver for brushless motors (servos) on the right side. Powered with 2 supplies, one high voltage for motor and other is 12 V Pc power supply.

This is as close as you'll get to OSW without Argon or Ioni. That's why MMOS was used. 10 for effect filters, 0 for overall filter,, no additional effects. 0 on everything in assetto corsa, gain on 100%, 75% in game (to avoid clipping).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  16. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Some rally carnage as well, breaking some desks

17. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Here's an frankenstein hoverboard build. Main obstacle in post before was that it's mount was not good enough.
    Ordered SK16 smooth rod holder and it's freaking great! This mount is way stronger than just taking a clamp directly on motor, like big stepper or mige.

There's one big problem though. My motor's kind of a knockoff. It's stator is half the size of all other hovers...
    So very little torque and very much heat.

Other problem is in pulley. One on the motor is drilled and filed to be able to be glued on the motor. Pulley on the encoder as well, needed to make 6mm hole from 5mm. Well, they are both woobly and there's encoder misalignment there. Since motor has 15 poles this is a BIG problem, or at least I think so.

Well for now I think that real motor will be great. Can't be certain about cogging. Other guys here told that there is little cogging, not as good as real servo. Need a 3d printed pulley to print a real mount to the back of the motor.

For now here's a little video of driving. Just ignore all squeaking and noise, it's coming from pedals, chair and fans all around.
    Motor is silent as long as you keep road noise setting in assetto corsa down. At 15% motor Really starts vibrating. But it's good I guess, it should do that if road noise is present.

Here's a picture of step log performance with tyre still on. HILARIOUS (better than actual performance, 20 amps was shoved into the motor expecting to get something out of it. Motor barely handles 4 amps on open air)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. AndreFilipe

AndreFilipe Andrefly

businessperson
    Balance:
    - 55Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, SCN6, SimAxe, Arduino, SimforceGT, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi can you help us with the code used to make the steering wheel and calls? thank you very much and congratulations very cool i've been wanting to make one with a stepper motor but i don't know anything about programming!
  19. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Hi AF, so if you want to nothing is stopping you from driving this with your arduino or ffb software, but it is not open source.
    If you are wanna wait for a few more months you'll probably be able to get a driver from me in case you have a stepper already. If not don't buy anything yet because I can't promise any release date yet.
  20. zhai1987

zhai1987 Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor
    1. Brother, look forward to your open source. I happen to have a stepping motor!