1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question SFX-100 Source Guide

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Pojo, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Pojo

Pojo Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello, I've been looking recently at SFX-100 build guides and I'm looking for a source for the aluminum profiles, thread inserts and slot nuts. I see Kinetic is the site most use, but I can't choose USA as a shipping country, so I assume they don't ship here? I've also looked at the item24 option, but have not gotten a response to my inquiry from them. The easiest source is from e-racing lab, but I didn't want to support them if there is another option. Thanks
  2. simshim

simshim New Member

Balance:
    - 44Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Go with Item24 since you're in the US. They're quick to ship. I got 4 for 228 shipped to the Midwest USA. They did take a few days to respond to me. They did put me in touch with a US distributor. Their website is www.kimcontrols.com and my contact was RMetz@kimcontrols.com

With item24 profiles, you don't need the threaded inserts. They just need to be tapped. I opted to tap my own profiles instead of paying for it.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Thank you I'll try that, I'm also in the Midwest, Illinois. I did figure out that Kinetic will ship to US, but as you said shipping is quite expensive. For some reason you have to select English on their site to have the USA option in country. I was allowing google translate to do it's magic on the German site.
  4. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Do you know if they have the part listed on their website? I can't seem to find it on there searching the part number. Thanks,
  5. simshim

simshim New Member

Balance:
    - 44Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't believe it's on their website. What I did was go through Item24, make an account, add the items I wanted to the shopping cart, submit an inquiry, waited a few days and the aforementioned company contacted me about that inquiry.

https://us-product.item24.com/en/pr...-1001042798/profile-10-100x100-natural-62456/

is where I started.

Question, have you started sourcing the other parts?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I've not ordered anything yet aside from the 3d printer. I was waiting because if I couldn't find a source for the aluminum profiles I was going to order the kit from e-racing which comes with all the hardware for the actuators.
  7. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Has anybody ever ordered from here? It looks like what I need, k50 profile, but wasn't 100% sure. They also offer to tap them, which I think would be helpful.
  8. simshim

simshim New Member

Balance:
    - 44Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That profile would require the slider to be redesigned to fit it. Just like with the Item24 profile, the internal dimensions are different from Kinetic.

Here's a sectional of an Item24 profile.

https://imgur.com/b9dith5

Hope that explains it.
  9. simshim

simshim New Member

Balance:
    - 44Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This got me curious so I downloaded their .sldprt file and that profile wouldn't work as it's completely hollow internally. No place to mount the fixed/linear bearings.

https://imgur.com/LUjI7tm
  10. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yup, that makes sense. Thank you.
  11. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    @Pojo I just built a set of SFX 100 actuators. I am in Ohio so you could order the profiles from the same distributor as myself. I got the profiles from them in under a week and the total cost was under $200 .
    The SFX100's are very popular and I felt with so many posts covering their construction I did not bother creating another build thread.
    However I did find much of the information I needed scattered about the internet as the design has progressed in the last few years.
    If you need any info/help just let me know. I built mine less than a month ago so things are still pretty fresh in my mind....

Attached Files:

12. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yes, if you could give me contact info for the supplier you used that would be great. Also did they tap them for you or did you do that yourself?
  13. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    I did all the tapping myself. I bought a set of metric drill taps and they worked well.
    www.amazon.com/Color-You-Titanium-Drilling-Chamfering/dp/B08NT9C9RS/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=metric+drill+tap+bits+set&qid=1611603346&sr=8-9
    I sent you an invite for conversation with some details..
    The company Item24 has kind of a weird procedure in order to buy from them.
    They are based in Germany and have locations all over the world that they ship from.
    First you must register for an account to begin the ordering process.
    There is a set of small hoops you need to jump through but it is worth it as they ship fast and the prices are very good.
    Their E-mail response is quick also.

https://us-signin.item24.com/index....s/local-representative/us/item-north-america/
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. darkknight

darkknight New Member

Balance:
    41Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    For anyone in the UK, they respond very quickly to emails and claim they can ship in 3 days. Prices are roughly double what you would pay at Kinetik.
  15. FABMAN5

FABMAN5 New Member

Balance:
    26Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi…just wanted to thank you guys for this info. @simshim in particular for posting the contact info for Robbin Metz. I was getting really frustrated because I’ve been trying to get a quote out of ITEM 24 for over a month. All they would ever send back is an email thanking me for my request. I emailed Robbin this morning and had a response from her within minutes. She shot me my quote, I called her to pass along my payment information and, we’re we’re done. She is so responsive and helpful! Got the four profiles for $175.39 plus $35 shipping to Springfield, Mo.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Brett Horton

Brett Horton Active Member

Program Manager / Pilot
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    I am headed towards the SFX-100 route, but a bit confusing due to the German fanbase.....
    Has anyone produced a USA shopping list for all the parts needed to complete?
  17. Stephen McComas

Stephen McComas New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm doing the same. Did you ever find a US supplier for the SFX100?