1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

5 DOF Racing Platform

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by T R Para, Jan 24, 2021.

1. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    I wanted a dedicated platform for racing.
    This is a combination of 4 SFX-100 actuators a SCN6 and a SCLT6-050-300.
    The controller is the Thanos AMC-AASD15 .
    The rig can be thought of as 2 different parts. The bottom half which consists of the Surge and Traction Loss platform and the top is a 3DOF D-box configured platform.
    I am using Simtools software with this project as it has the ability to output both AC servo and SNC motion.

A while back I purchased a Next Level Racing Challenger Simulator Cockpit. It is a static rig with all steel construction.
    As it turns out it can be adapted for motion and the SFX-100 actuators are a very good design.
    A bit of drilling and they bolted right on.
    The Next Level cockpit is plenty stiff and can handle the SFX's with no problems.
    You will notice the mounting distances of the 4 actuators is nearly a square of 600mm per side and not what seems to be the norm of 600mm x 1200mm.
    The motion feels right. That's All I can say.
    Next I will detail the bottom traction loss / surge deck.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    The bottom platform consists of a 25 year old repurposed treadmill from Sears. You know.. Back when they built things right (and heavy).
    This is based very loosely on a design I saw on YouTube by the author HOCKY.
    There is a "H" shaped platform which has 4 flange mounted ball transfer units .
    These allow the platform to roll around on 2 900mm x 300mm x 6.35mm thick steel plates mounted to the treadmill frame.
    The traction loss is built from a Trailer spindle axle and a Light Duty Flange Bearing with a 35mm bore. The bearing is mounted on a 600mm x 100mm steel plate and connects the "H" shaped platform to the front slide assembly.
    A SCN6 - 20- 100 actuator provides the traction loss movement (100mm) and a SCLT6-050-300 (300mm throw) is used for surge.
    The front slider platform is a repurposed tile saw slide salvaged from a large ceramic tile cutter I found at a second hand shop.
    A follow-up video is uploading and it will demonstrate the surge/traction movement.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  3. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Here is a short video demonstrating the traction loss and surge movements of the platform.
    • Like Like x 1