1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Physical Motion dampening?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by mark_44, Jan 18, 2021.

1. mark_44

mark_44 New Member

Balance:
    161Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I've purchased some 1" thick sorbothane pucks to put under the actuators.

Primarily I bought as a method of reducing tactile vibrations to the floor that annoy my wife :( , but also to try an smooth out some of the more violent actuator movements that transfer to the ceiling below.

Has anyone had any successful experience using physical dampening - and does it reduce detail noticeably when driving, or is doing it in software using smoothing effective?

Thanks
  2. Dschadu

Dschadu Active Member

Balance:
    1,933Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    You need to add weight to your base. A lot. Fill your bottom frame with sand. Or make it from concrete. And then put this on these rubber mats you out under washing machines.
  3. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I have tried dampening with my 2dof but the damping rods I had on hand were way too stiff. I think they would work fine if you got the right resistance. That, in combination with adding extra weight to the base like mentioned above should fix your problem. It shouldn't reduce detail as long as its the right resistance. Simexperience makes some. SimXperience Actuator Cover Mounting and Dampening Kit For Motion Simulators
  4. mark_44

mark_44 New Member

Balance:
    161Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I'm using a P1x with actuators, DD etc and I weigh 80kg, so the rig is already heavy. By base do you mean what the rig is sitting on, because I'm on the second flood and the beams of our old house are not particularly stout.

It's not ideal, but I haven't got any other space to put it unfortunately which is why I'm hoping the pads will have some effect.

Turning up the smoothing helps a lot, but I like more violent, jerky moves as well as high tactile vibrations on the hardcore cars as it feels much more authentic. This is the problem
  5. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    By base, I just mean whatever the actuators are mounted to that is stationary. If you want jerky motions, then I can only recommend putting some weight on the base or changing out the pads you are using for something softer. If you want vibrations you should get a tactile transducer. I wouldn’t expect simulator actuators to provide vibrational feedback.