1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Racing seats

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Chris Chopping, Dec 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Chris Chopping

Chris Chopping Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    - 26Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hey team,

post your racing seats below! I am thinking of adapting my current rig with a new seat that’s actually a racing one as it is quite unstable and not thaat comfortable.

Although budget is tight so any recommendations would be great!

What do you use? Why do you use it? Mass of it?
  2. knaufinator

knaufinator Active Member

Simulation Engineer
    Balance:
    1,732Coins
    Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    IMG_20200404_094100.jpg IMG_20180516_181342048.jpg
    3A racing seat - I got it for $50 off of Facebook marketplace...~25lbs. Its was originally adjustable back, though I welded it together for more strength as I did not trust the back.. not collapsing. This fit the requirement of cheap and have the harness/belt through holes above the shoulder. I may invest later on a nicer one,.. as this one went through the fabrication process along with the motion platform... and now has.. many burn holes....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  3. Brett Horton

Brett Horton Active Member

Program Manager / Pilot
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    I just replaced the HORRID Obutto seat after 4 years.... What a POS.... I went to a junk yard and found a nice 2006 Dodge Neon Rally addition car... seat looks great, and is super comfortable!
  4. ChubbyWeasel

ChubbyWeasel New Member

Retired
    Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I sold my race seat with the race car so I think for my sim I'm going to try the Jaz Turbo Pro. It's about $110 USD. I thought I read that it only weighs about 10 pounds or 4.5 kilos but I don't remember where I read that.

[​IMG]
  5. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    That is a really good deal. I might have to start looking around for used seats like that because I am in for a upgrade soon. Thanks for the recommendation.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. FourOff

FourOff New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    If you want a proper racing bucket seat, used is a really good way to go. Racing seats eventually "expire" (vibration, sunlight, and chemicals eventually weaken the shell, and newer seats have newer safety regulations), making them ineligible for competition use. At that point, they're basically garbage to a race team but will work just fine for sim racing for many many years.

I'm using my old Sparco Circuit Pro that expired in 2007. Hasn't cracked on me yet, but I just added motion so we'll see :p
    IMG_2356.jpg

Because these seats have a limited life, I have seen some just completely torn up. You can buy replacement cushions and covers for a lot of expired seats, or take it to an upholsterer.
    • Like Like x 1