1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Power Supply Oversizing

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Map63Vette, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Map63Vette

Map63Vette Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Is there any kind of rule of thumb regarding power supply sizing vs motor draw? I have several wiper motors on hand and I have datasheets with speed, torque, and current values as well as physical testing to back those numbers up. From all the testing and datasheets, the motors stall at ~20A or so. That being said, I assume there would still be some surge current for initial motion and back EMF stuff to deal with. My plan was to run JRKs for motor control and I have two on hand already. I had my eye on some 30A power supplies for ~$20 each, but wasn't sure if this would be enough to handle any surge currents or if it would be overkill.

As a side note, this pivots around the plan to use a single power supply for each motor, but that could be kind of messy when it comes to wiring as I'd have multiple plugs I'd need to plug in to use the system. Granted I could run everything to a single power strip so I only have one final plug, but not sure if that's a good plan or not. The alternative would be one sizeable power supply that would easily answer my surge current question, but then I would be a bit worried about the potential for a motor to backfeed others or something like that. I would hope the JRKs would deal with that, but wanted to be sure before I pulled the trigger on anything.
  2. noSaint

noSaint New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    160Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    You can use a car battery as buffer for high current draw.
    • Agree Agree x 3