1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Building a new simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by KamiFern, Jul 11, 2020.

1. KamiFern

KamiFern New Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 4DOF
    After building simulators with 4 motors, I decided to do one with 6.

I do not plan to change my G27. I replaced the brake for hydraulic 'Perfect Brake' that worked about 4 years before leaking and put back the OEM and added stiff rubber inside the spring. It is OK this way.

Instead of triple monitors, I will use my Samsung Odyssey +

I also keep my wiper motors that do not show signs of wear after 7 years of use.

I did not draw parts I do not have to make which I consider a waste of time, Just bear with me.

stn-6pub.jpg

If you want more details, the pdf is a 3D model.

Fern

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. KamiFern

KamiFern New Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 4DOF
    I also modified the motors to have the potentiometer inside the housing. I had blocks 3D printed and putted them inside with the wiper screwed to the gear. With a 12 bit ADC, it will give a reading precise enough.
    20200526_124058[1].jpg

20200711_175728[1].jpg

Fern

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. KamiFern

KamiFern New Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 4DOF
    I was finaly able to tack weld some pieces today and my brother will do the weld properly. He is a true weldor. I cut most parts on my mill (this is very slow) and some will arrive shortly.
    20200909_184126_cr.jpg

Fern
    • Like Like x 2
  4. KamiFern

KamiFern New Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 4DOF
    Finally completed!

I am using 2 24V PSU 600w and 350w in parallel. They are set at 20.4v to protect my vnh5019 drivers. I limit their output to 13.5v.

Fern

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. noSaint

noSaint New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    160Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Nice looking rig. Doesn't the vnh5019 come with built-in protection against reverse-voltage, over-voltage, under-voltage, over-temperature, and over-current?
    https://www.pololu.com/product/1451

Do you have a video of the rig in action?
  6. KamiFern

KamiFern New Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 4DOF
    Yes there is protection but I understand it is safe up to 24v.

No I do not have a vid in action as I am still configuring motions.

Regards
    Fern
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Fern!
    Somehow i missed your thread last year. Hmmm..
    I really like the design of your sim! You have put some nice ideas into it! :thumbs
    It seems to be not expensive, but still a serious sim and not an arcade toy.
    Are the parts between your push-rods dampers or air springs? How much do they reduce the load from the platform?
    I look forward seeing a video!

Wickie
  8. KamiFern

KamiFern New Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 4DOF
    All nice race sims that peolpe build are prototypes and prototyping is NOT inexpensive. Many things have to be redone over and over. Builders goal is not to save money but be creative and have as much fun designing and building it as using it. If you want something inexpensive, buy a well designed one that fits your budget but if you still feel building it for a low cost, make it bare bone and do not try to innovate.
    They are common gas (nitrogen) struts with as little dampening as possible. Before bolting the seat to the base through push-rods, I made legs to put in on scales and I sitted in place. Rear was 80 lbs, left 88 lbs and right 110 lbs. I am 200 pounds. I did not make enough adjustment to the seat brackets to offset it to left and that is why it is not even. My struts are all 90 lbs force. It is heavier on the right and I have to tweek my PID to compensate for it.
    If you want gas struts, contact a manufacturer in your country and fill the spec sheets they have. Cost should be ~20-30$ plus freight. It does act as damper a bit but make it easier on motors and PSU. It is a must.

Regards
    Fern
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Pojo

Pojo Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I think the use of VR instead of a triple monitors is a good choice. Hopefully we'll continue to get good VR support for driving and flight sims in the future. I imagine a rig like that would be a hoot in VR with something like Star Wars Squardrons.
  10. francois38200

francois38200 Member

Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    nice work I really like the fact that the potentiometers are integrated into the engine :thumbs
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. KamiFern

KamiFern New Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 4DOF
    I have a Samsung Odyssey+ HMD and do like it and installed my 3 27" monitors on a special stand in a way I can rotate it from above my desk to front of my sim.
    Reasons I did it ? First, resolution is far from a monitor at 26" from your eyes. Second, I need glasses and though I had new ones that are narrow enough to fit in the headset, lenses are touching the mini screen and make it very uncomfortable. Last, combined with the motion of the sim, it gives me motion sickness...
    Hopefully it will improve with next versions.

Regards
    Fern
  12. KamiFern

KamiFern New Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 4DOF
    Hi François
    I like it too because it protects them from any incident and are not breakable unless the finger it not properly adjusted.
    However I have a problem with them now. The way I installed them is too close to power lines and they get noise when the motors are activated. Readings are erratic and results vary +-30 with a 10bit ADC.
    I will try something different...

Regards
    Fern

Attached Files:

13. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    This pot design is really cool. I might try it in my next build. So you built a 6dof with wiper motors? From what I have heard they aren't be powerful enough. If you got away with it though, I might have to try it out for myself.