1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6DOF frame design advice

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by EricSteijlen, Jan 11, 2021.

1. EricSteijlen

EricSteijlen New Member

Balance:
    973Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Hi @Peacemaker105 and others,
    Thanks for your inspiring threads.
    I'm starting with my own build. On page 6 I found your drawings of the frame. I also made a design myself (for the time being of the upperframe) but I can't judge if it will be stiff enough or too much overkill.
    The intention is to make this from steel.
    Your frame looks thin compared to mine. In your experience, is your frame rigid enough?
    I read somewhere that @SilentChill has reinforced its frame afterwards because there was too much flex in it.
    Mine is designed in such a way that 3 of these parts form the top frame and can be disassembled.
    Overkill or good enough? I appreciate your opinion or that of others if they read along.
    Kind Regards, Eric

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2021
  2. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    It whill be stiffer welded in one piece, and you can get problems putting it together with a triangle
    succes ad
  3. EricSteijlen

EricSteijlen New Member

Balance:
    973Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    @adgun I don't really understand what you mean by: 'putting it together with a triangle'

For convenience here my concept so the pdf drawing does not have to be downloaded, I did not know how to process an image in a post, now I do ;-) (I don't know much about construction, yet)

Edit: I see that I still don't know how to attach a picture without having it to download for coins, sorry.

Attached Files:

4. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    On youre first drawing you have 3 the same parts .that you wat to shuff it together the first 2 wil fit but the third wont fit becauce it isnt a stait line.
    (je krijgt de derde alleen in elkaar geschoven als de delen in een rechte lijn staan, maar deze komen zo in een hoek te staan en kunnen niet in elkaar schuiven)
  5. EricSteijlen

EricSteijlen New Member

Balance:
    973Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Thanks for the advise, I didn't think of that. (Daar zou ik te laat achter zijn gekomen ;-( )
    If I would do P6 on the outside, I think it would work. You can then slide it over the seam when the three parts are properly positioned and fasten it
  6. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    You could be lucky when you put the 3 parts together at the same time with even force, but most the time you need a hammer for it
  7. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Only when you make p6 lose it will work, than you can put one p6 all 3 parts fit them together and shuff it over.
    You will lose stiffnes this way
  8. EricSteijlen

EricSteijlen New Member

Balance:
    973Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    That was indeed the idea so that it can be dismantled. Question: do you think that the (more or less) diagonal tube P2 (40x40x2mm steel) can also be done in a single way? Top-Frame-Section.png
  9. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    no problem
  10. EricSteijlen

EricSteijlen New Member

Balance:
    973Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    By 'no problem' you mean that it will be strong enough with one angled tube?
    Frame-Assembly-Single_2021-Jan-13_09-04-59PM-000_CustomizedView6754709645.png
    I will still have to place a connection tube (probably made of aluminum) at the front (from left to right) for a steering wheel or something like that.
    Frame-Assembly-Nw_2021-Jan-13_09-06-27PM-000_CustomizedView12037975819.png
    The drawing with the double oblique tube seems much stronger to me, but is perhaps overkill? (and too heavy)?
  11. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Yes that is what i mean