1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

What direct drive "smoothness" truly means?

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Nikiss999, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    When people compare OSW build between themselves this word "smoothness" always pops up. They say that Lenze is best, then Kollmorgen and Mige at the bottom.

No one really gave an explanation why something is smoother and what that means. After making a stepper direct drive and spending a lot of time with it the only thing that I can compare this smoothness to is cogging on my stepper.

Does this word implies that Mige has some cogging and torque unevenness like a stepper, but much more subtle or is it just that Granite hardware was behaving differently between multiple motors and people were liking force feedback output from Lenze and Kollmorgen more than Mige?

I'm planning on buying a servo like mige. However money doesn't grow on trees and hoverboard motor turned into a servo would essentially be the same thing just with an outrunner motor, like fanatec DD1 and DD2. Cost of hoverboard motor is around 30e, encoder can be found between 10e and 20e, some pulleys and manual drilling and there's a wheel for around 50e. Small versions of mige motors with around 10 Nm cost 250e at my local reseller so this is a tough choice. And if chinese servos have cogging then it makes little sense to get them over diy hoverboard solution.
    If hoverboard has cogging it surely can't be worse than a stepper right XD
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    there is no cogging in my experience - its to do with the resolution of the encoder pulses
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nikiss999

Nikiss999 Member

Balance:
    418Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor
    Nice, no cogging!