1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Direct Drive Open Thanos TDD Sim Wheel

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by krazycanuck, Dec 31, 2020.

1. krazycanuck

krazycanuck New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, I guess I wanted to start this thread as I'm currently in the planning phase of building a direct drive wheel. As we all know we have MMOS and VNM, with VNM as it matures hopefully will take hold and provide us with better options for games. Although right now VNM is quite limited in the games it supports.

I recently started my build by buying one of Thanos TDD boards which should allow me to build the system I want. I had great luck with my AMC controller for my motion platform so I wanted to give the TDD a shot.

With that said I want to use a large 20-30nm Mige motor, with a minimum of 10,000 PPR encoder. I was on the VNM discord page and speaking with some people there. They have one option for a Mige 130ST with an EP100 driver. As far as I can tell it only looks like its 220v.

Here in North America as we all know line voltage is 110vac, so I would need to install a seperate feed from the panel. Not a big deal, but an annoyance. I was looking to keep everything 110vac.

What I'm looking for here are alternatives to the 220v while keeping a high encoder PPR and a strong 20-30nm motor. I'm looking for options and suggestions. Keep in mind, I am looking to stay very affordable, as well I like the customizable DIY approach hence not buying a DD1 or a DD2, Simucube etc.

I appreciate the guidance and help, I suspect 2021 is going to be an exciting year as DD wheels become more affordable with better options to the DIY community thanks to HoanTV and Thanos.

Thank you for you help and suggestions ahead of time.
  2. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    The TDD is plug and play with AASD drives (AASD-15A, AASD-20A, AASD-30A etc).

To use with other servos you would need to do custom wiring for the control signals and also experiment and find the correct parameters for torque control with analog voltage input, with offset and scaling for 3.3v DAC used on TDD. Its not easy task... also as you mentioned, almost no other servo supports 110v operation...

Better stick with AASD drives. 10000 positions per revolution is still very detailed for use with MMOS firmware!
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    stick to the AASD driver - i bought the big mige servo and driver but the driver mige supply is not compatible with the TDD board

is there a 110V version of the AASD driver ?
  4. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes... 110v is no problem for AASD servos, either for actuators or direct drive steering wheel application:

5. krazycanuck

Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    @Thanos all the AASD Drivers and motors I find are only 2500PPR in the specs on aliexpress. Do you have a listing for the 130st motors with 10,000 PPR as you said previous? Thx
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2021
  6. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    They are 2500 but are multiplied by 4 with an extra signal - 10000
  7. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The encoders are 2500 quadrature... means 4x the pulses. So the real resolution is 10000 pulses per revolution.

Also in the MMOS utility you set the encoder to 10000, so yes. Its true resolution.

IMG_20210102_171736.jpg
  8. krazycanuck

Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ok so really there's no advantage going to a Blis-c unit?