1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

The in progress, Brig seat 1.3....

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by PaulB, Jul 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JAD

JAD Active Member

Balance:
    1,446Coins
    Ratings:
    +141 / 3 / -0
    But they are still DC brushed motors so you can swap the wires.
    Should be easy to swap it at the terminals at the Sabertooth.

I'm going by memory and its been a while since Ive used them.
    But I thought the direction the kangaroo seeks the home limit switch is fixed on power up.
    So switching the DC polarity will get it to head in the direction you want on power up.

I dont recall sending any serial commmands that force the seek direction one way or another. I dont think this is settable. But Im not sure on this.

I do take your point that maybe nothing had changed since you last had it working but this is the only thing I can think of at the moment.
  2. PaulB

PaulB Titanium2dof

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Thanks Jad. It's very strange. I had changed the polarity to reverse directions on the motors on my first rig. That's when I found out you can't do that. Not sure why. I can reverse directions with the Sabertooth, but then when I get to the FlyPT it would be reversed. I think I'll reload YAT to see if that puts things back to normal.
  3. JAD

JAD Active Member

Balance:
    1,446Coins
    Ratings:
    +141 / 3 / -0
    I looked back on my past setup using one limit switch.
    Maybe the bottom option has something to do with seek direction for home on power up.
    I dont have it setup so I cant test it.
    upload_2020-12-15_7-11-10.png
  4. PaulB

PaulB Titanium2dof

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have DEScribe working in the proper direction and to the correct limit switches. It's when I run Yat it starts in the opposite direction to the other limit switch. I had DEScribe, Yat and FlyPT all going in the same direction to the same limit switch when I left it a few months a ago, and I haven't changed anything in Yat. I need Yat to work in the same direction as DEScribe, so I can start FlyPT.
  5. JAD

JAD Active Member

Balance:
    1,446Coins
    Ratings:
    +141 / 3 / -0
    Can you post a picture of the commands you are sending with YAT
  6. PaulB

PaulB Titanium2dof

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    This is what I use to test and center the actuators for running FlyPT. Worked perfectly till a couple of days ago.

Attached Files:

7. JAD

JAD Active Member

Balance:
    1,446Coins
    Ratings:
    +141 / 3 / -0
    OK, theres mothing there that affects the homing direction.
    I can only think of testing the wiring by changing polarity. Have you tried that yet?
  8. PaulB

PaulB Titanium2dof

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just tried changing polarity. No luck.
    It switched direction, then shuts down. E3
    Contacted the YAT developer. No luck there either. Says YAT2.4 is coming out soon!
    I guess I'll retune with the direction reversed on the sabertooths
  9. JAD

JAD Active Member

Balance:
    1,446Coins
    Ratings:
    +141 / 3 / -0
    It switched direction, then shuts down. E3

I thought switch direction is what you were after?
    Is it shutting down after homing? Or do you mean powering down?
    Im not familiar with the E3

I dont think you can send a home command, and then a fraction of a second later send a powerdown command. It either ignores the powerdown command while it is in the middle of homing, or it immediatley cancels homing and shuts down. I cant remember which way it behaves. I think it its the former.

I think you should remove the powerdown command anyway. What would be the use case for having a powerdown immediatley after homing?
    Powerdown means it cuts power to the motor which may mean the rig drops to the ground, but it will still keep count of the encoder, so it will not need homing again, and the next time it receives a position command, it will power up and go there and hold there. But if your homing, why not let it hold there at the home position instead of dropping?

I also want to clarify your understanding of YAT. The developer of YAT will have no clue about what is on the receiving end such as kangaroo. We are using YAT to send typed commands to the kangaroo that the kangaroo is built to expect. YAT is just dumbly sending out bits and bytes in a format that only the Kangaroo is going to understand. If the kangaroo does somthing unexpected, it is only due to what we typed into the text lines that YAT is sending.

From the picture you sent, there is only 3 commands sent to the kangaroo, and none of these will affect homing directions. So the issue with direction can only be settings made with DEScribe and/or wiring changes to the motor or limit switchs or the AB encoder wires.

When in DEScribe, you can use the pretune tab and check the directions of the motor, and see the L1 and L2 switches activating, and see the encoder count incrementing in the proper direction. If this is the same for all 6, then it should all behave in the same directions when homing and sending position commands.

I'm hanging around home this xmas break so I can setup my old system on the bench and try to work through it with you that way. But it will be in a week or two before I get there.
  10. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    good job,innovative:cheers
  11. PaulB

PaulB Titanium2dof

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    When I send the command to home, it feels like it goes full tilt for a second and it shutdown then I get E3 [Control error, channel disabled. Check to make sure your feedback sources are working and the system matches how it was set up during the tune]
    is the error code on the Kangaroo, 3 flashes.
    I send the powerdown command just to stop power with YAT.
    I'm sending Start, Home and Powerdown seperatly.
    I'm going to try to tune in the other direction, and hope it still reverses in YAT. Could be an easy work around. Switching L1 and L2 didn't work either. Don't spend anymore time on this, let me see what I can figure out on this end. Thanks again.
  12. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    This is a smart design. Good luck with that polarity issue, these things are pretty complicated sometimes.
  13. PaulB

PaulB Titanium2dof

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have the polarity sorted out. I just tuned it in reverse in sabertooth settings. Then when it switched directions with YAT and FlyPT, the setting are correct. Still have the cogging issue after shielding the cables though. : (
    I'll try to get a video in the next day or two of the FlyPT movement.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok I’ll be watching for the video. What do you mean by “cogging“?
  15. PaulB

PaulB Titanium2dof

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    When the actuator is slowing down the motor hunts to keep up shaking the rig. you can notice it in this video.
  16. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have never encountered that before with my own sim. Have you sorted out everything in SMC3 or whatever application you are using for the PID tuning?